Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Location of Oil Pressure Sensor

The last few weeks, when driving hard and exiting a corner the message "Indicator Failure" lights on the OBC and the oil pressure indicator goes to "0". After 1-2 secs the oil pressure returns to normal. I have checked the oil level and is ok.

Searching in the manual the message on the OBC corresponds to failure to the oil pressure sensor.

I am convinced that the problem I have been having is not related to an actual lubrication problem but rather to a problem to the sensor itself. May be a loose electrical connection on the sensor ?

Can someone please advise me the whereabouts of this sensor ?

Thanks

Mat

911 40year Anniv.

Edited by mat911

Have traced the sensor with the help of the photos+drawings and re-tighten the two cables attached to it (although they didn't seem loose...). Took the car for a quick spin and experienced the same problem when exiting hard from a corner... INDICATOR FAILURE on the obc and oil pressure drops to zero for a second or two. Any Ideas?????????

Thanks

Have you tried replacing the sensor?

Not yet. How can I determine that sensor is faulty and not anything else ? i.e. instrument cluster

By the way any guidance on how to change the sensor ? Is it a diy job ?

What really confuses me is the fact the problem never occures under normal driving conditions. It only happens during hard cornering.

• Admin

If you have access to a PST2 or PIWIS you can go to the instrument cluster and see:

1. If the sensor is sending a signal.

2. If the sensor has triggered a fault and/or event (i.e. event 2 oil pressure too low, event 9 oil level).

That is about all you can see so if those look normal it pretty much has to be the sensor. They are about $50 MSRP as I recall.

Not yet. How can I determine that sensor is faulty and not anything else ? i.e. instrument cluster

By the way any guidance on how to change the sensor ? Is it a diy job ?

What really confuses me is the fact the problem never occures under normal driving conditions. It only happens during hard cornering.

I would say it's a DIY job. The sensor has a threaded piece on the bottom which screws into the cylinder head. It's a bit tricky to get to, but not impossible if you are patient.

If I were you I would change the sensor, as it is relatively inexpensive. If that doesn't cure it I would start worrying that there is something wrong with the oil pickup in the 'sump'.

If I were you I would change the sensor, as it is relatively inexpensive. If that doesn't cure it I would start worrying that there is something wrong with the oil pickup in the 'sump'.

So far I have excluded the possibility to be an actual lubrication problem. May be I am wrong...

If there was an actual lubrication problem, and during hard cornering the actual oil pressure drops to zero, then I suppose "low oil pressure" signal would appear instead of "indicator Failure". Am I correct assuming that?

So far I have excluded the possibility to be an actual lubrication problem. May be I am wrong...

If there was an actual lubrication problem, and during hard cornering the actual oil pressure drops to zero, then I suppose "low oil pressure" signal would appear instead of "indicator Failure". Am I correct assuming that?

I really don't know. The pressure sensor has two outputs - one for the actual pressure reading for the gauge, and one for the warning light. Perhaps the one for the warning light is failing during higher speed cornering, giving you the "indicator failure" message, whilst the computer knows the actual oil pressure is OK.

Like I say, the sensor is a relatively inexpensive item, and would be my first choice of where to start. The alternative would be to start checking the continuity of wiring, or it might be a fault in the instrument cluster, but these would be a nightmare.

I really don't know. The pressure sensor has two outputs - one for the actual pressure reading for the gauge, and one for the warning light. Perhaps the one for the warning light is failing during higher speed cornering, giving you the "indicator failure" message, whilst the computer knows the actual oil pressure is OK.

Like I say, the sensor is a relatively inexpensive item, and would be my first choice of where to start. The alternative would be to start checking the continuity of wiring, or it might be a fault in the instrument cluster, but these would be a nightmare.

Your message got me thinking...

During my efforts to determine what is wrong with the sensor, I disconneted one by one the two wires on the sensor. Disconnecting the rear one and with the engine running at idle, nothing happened-no warning lights and the pressure was normal (4-5). Dsconnecting the front one and reconnecting the rear there was not any oil pressure (0) and I got the "indicator Failure" signal.

As you say one of the cables is for the warning light which must be the rear cable. What conclusions can be made given the fact disconnecting this cable nothing really happens???????

Edited by mat911

• 12 years later...
On 10/19/2006 at 1:49 PM, wrljet said:

Sunset just told me the part no. was 996-606-203-01.

The number in my older PET software was 996-606-203-00.

Does anyone know, have they updated this part?

Bill

Are these numbers also correct for a 2004, 996?   

• 2 weeks later...