Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TrafficPro Install

It's an easy job to push the antanna sire down thru the dash if you stick the connector to a heavy duty drinking straw and pushing it down thru the dash. Makes an easy job out of a fustrating one. :)

I installed a TP in my 2004 GT3. The nice thing was the stock radio connector was already wired for the reverse signal so I didn't need to fool around with that. The TP works fine but I've noticed that it periodically makes a whirring, electric motor type sound, like a CD-ROM drive might make. It does this even when I'm not using the Nav but just listening to the radio. Is this normal?

Karl

Jean-Marc, will you do the left-hand drive to right-hand drive DIY kit before you go to London or after you get there? :D

If you have the TrafficPro, consider the TrafficPro Phatnoise MP3 player. It works extremely well with the TrafficPro. They are working on a MOST version, but they have said it will take some time.

My guess is that it is there to keep the GPS from going out of calibration when you back up. Since it is calibrated with the car moving forward, it may get confused if it reverses direction (starts going negative) unless it knows the car is in reverse. I think I have read other posts from people who didn't hook it up and they claimed they had no problem.

Karl

• 7 months later...
Someone claimed it was so you could not program the unit while in reverse.  Makes no sense to me.  Can someone with TrafficPro check this internet claim out?

My understanding is that it is for accuracy. If you don't hook up the wire, the car thinks that it is always going forward (or reverse as Dale points out on the Becker board).

For normal driving, this is plenty accurate, but if you are lost and back the car up, etc., the system is placing you forward, e.g. a block away from where you really are, and the directions get somewhat out of sync.

This reverse signal is not as critical as the speed wire. That one is a must have.

tp1.jpg

The key reason fo adding Reverse to the TP is to aid it in making sensible guidance instructions. When the car is stopped, GPS cannot determine "forward" v "backward" without it. Thus it might give you a clearly stupid route instruction as you are backing up to get out of a parking place, thinking that you are moving forward. This silliness goes away as soon as you are moving forward for any reasonable time, and is the only downside to not having the "reverse" connection.

• Moderators

That sounds like what Horst on the Becker board said. Horst said the reverse signal is used to increase the accuracy of the system. If you drive 100 feet forward and then 50 feet backwards without the reverse signal wire hooked up, then the system thinks you drove 150 feet forward. An upcomming turn might therefore not be announced at the right time.

It is easy enough to hook up the reverse wire. http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2963

And when the car is in reverse the direction arrow changes to reverse.

tpro045.jpg

I have the bottom two slots open on my 04 Boxster, will the system fit in one of the bottom slots, so I can keep my radio?

This is your radio. The trafficPro incorporate additional (navigation) features built into a CDR-220. You replace the CDR-220 (or 210) with the trafficPro.

• Moderators
I have the bottom two slots open on my 04 Boxster, will the system fit in one of the bottom slots, so I can keep my radio?

The bigger issue is where are you going to hear the sound from TrafficPro. You need speakers and yours are already being used. And to make is worse your 2004 is a MOST car.

No offendse, guys.. Just something also fun to play with.

I thought about it doing it this way.. either installing the Traffic Pro or the Navigator on my 996. Then one day I found this little GARMIN eTrex Legend C waterproof handheld for about $280 on eBay. Wonderful design and so easy to use. Now I can pack it with my snack box and hit the trails too. Just buy the car holder, it will work as well inside the car.

I heard the Garmin 2420 or Quest are also very good but I like one that can also be used when I go fishing or biking. For less than $300 and just as much fun.

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

Edited by J9000