Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 996 Warranty About to Expire...

I have about 15,800 miles on my 2003 996 manual trans, grey interior, c2... my warranty is up in a couple of weeks.. is there anything I should be looking for on the car that could warn me to a potential problem that I can get fixed before my warranty expires? I've only had the car for about 800 miles so I am not familiar with the history... any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

01_G.sized.jpg

I have about 15,800 miles on my 2003 996 manual trans, grey interior, c2... my warranty is up in a couple of weeks.. is there anything I should be looking for on the car that could warn me to a potential problem that I can get fixed before my warranty expires? I've only had the car for about 800 miles so I am not familiar with the history... any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

01_G.sized.jpg

Ask the dealer to pull up the car's maintenance record so you can evaluate it and take it from there.

My warranty is also near it's expiration time and I decided if I was going to own a Porsche after it's factory exp date, I was going to have to buy an after market warranty plan. I purchased one thru the dealer for seven more years or 100K miles for bumper to bumper. You should look into buying one thru your dealer before your's expire.

Edited by WARDHOG

Mind me asking how much that extended warranty was from your dealer? That may just be the best route.

Thanks.

Around 3K with $50.00 deductible but is wavered if work is accomplished at dealer and free car rental anywhere. Every dealer is different.

Mind me asking how much that extended warranty was from your dealer? That may just be the best route.

Thanks.

Around 3K with $50.00 deductible but is wavered if work is accomplished at dealer and free car rental anywhere. Every dealer is different.

Where are you finding an extended warranty for that price? In Houston, the two dealers offered around $2k for a 3 year - 60k warranty.

If you are getting that price tell me the Dealer.

Some dealerships might take the car if you simply tell them your situation. Others might not as if they don't find anything wrong they were just wasting their time. A 15k service or an oil change service should butter them up a bit and make them more likely to bend the rules for you. Some things to look for would be...

Oil leaks from the engine... such as either cam cover or the rear main.

Coolant leaks from the coolant tank or cap

Ignition switch/lock feeling a little funny

window making noises when it goes up or down

Trim items such as carbon fiber or soft look surfaces

Vanity mirrors not lighting up

Nice toy. Wanna trade?

I'm down the street from you in Houston and it sounds like you are in the same boat that I was a few months back.

Forget about the dealer as the only 2 in town will try and sell you on the EZ Care warranty.

Look up and read about WarrantyDirect and ContinentalWarranty.

I have Continental and from what I read about both of these companies, they are nearly the same in every manner from cost-coverage of parts-coverage of labor-complaints. Complaints on both of these companies are very very small. Both have solid underwriters and Continental's is on the stock exchange with old money (Great American Ins Co).

The kicker with both is this: you must go at least 30 days and a specific amount of miles without using their claim service.

Again like you, I waited until I was about 2-3 weeks out from the OEM going flat before making the call. They just don't want you to sign up and buy a warranty and then suddenly turn over a pre-existing issue.

Mine was something like 500-ish down and 120-something per month for the next 18 months. It covers 100% of labor and will replace parts on the car with OEM parts. I think the term was 'direct replacement' or something like that.

They cover other things like rentals and so on. Call on them and ask for them to give you details. Ask for Jonah if he is still there. Nice kid and not fast talking like a saleman to get you to buy TODAY but think about this...the longer you go in time the harder it will be to get some coverage.

Nice toy. Wanna trade?

I'm down the street from you in Houston and it sounds like you are in the same boat that I was a few months back.

Forget about the dealer as the only 2 in town will try and sell you on the EZ Care warranty.

I have Continental and from what I read about both of these companies, they are nearly the same in every manner from cost-coverage of parts-coverage of labor-complaints. Complaints on both of these companies are very very small. Both have solid underwriters and Continental's is on the stock exchange with old money (Great American Ins Co).

The kicker with both is this: you must go at least 30 days and a specific amount of miles without using their claim service.

Again like you, I waited until I was about 2-3 weeks out from the OEM going flat before making the call. They just don't want you to sign up and buy a warranty and then suddenly turn over a pre-existing issue.

Mine was something like 500-ish down and 120-something per month for the next 18 months. It covers 100% of labor and will replace parts on the car with OEM parts. I think the term was 'direct replacement' or something like that.

They cover other things like rentals and so on. Call on them and ask for them to give you details. Ask for Jonah if he is still there. Nice kid and not fast talking like a saleman to get you to buy TODAY but think about this...the longer you go in time the harder it will be to get some coverage.

tweety - I appreciate the sound advice. I will investigate this week. Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions... and to the houston tx area folks, is one of the dealerships better than the other? I've only been to Porsche of West Houston and it seems pretty small. OK service so far... nothing special.

Personally I am branching out to connect into the local mom/pop market. These are people that play with the warranty and will let you ask questions. The dealer can take your question but rarely let you talk to the techs.

Go here and pick your region and sign in to the club if you haven't already. You will get a local newsletter that will have local vendors that will be better than the dealer (in most cases). http://www.pca.org/regions/

My toy will be offline this week for nose work, wheel repair, and alignment all not done by the dealer. Will report back next week on my findings.

Porsche West is really no different than the one on 59 but maybe a year newer. Same owners obviously.

Warranty Direct does not even cover 911s. It is more difficult in California to get extanded warranty...BS! Will look into Continental and original dealer. Even dealers are very wary! :cursing:

Nice toy. Wanna trade?

Same situation here... My warranty expires in 12 days.... In the end I'm going with the Dealer's recommended one, it's just more convenient since that is where the car will be serviced... No hassle... They quoted me 4 and 6 year terms, up to 100K miles additional, various deductible levels...I'm going On friday for an inspection and I'll report what I got ! I don't plan on keeping the car that long (used 977 in a few years) so a 2 or 3 year plan would be best for me.

Warranty Direct does not even cover 911s. It is more difficult in California to get extanded warranty...BS! Will look into Continental and original dealer. Even dealers are very wary! :cursing:

Nice toy. Wanna trade?

Is there any specific reason given by WD as to why they wouldn't touch the S?

Nice toy. Wanna trade?

Just went to their site input the type of Porsche I have and a pop up stated vehicle not covered by WD. I tried it with different years and States with same results for 911s. Porsche must have some kind of rep for repairs...hehehe...

Edited by porschinator

Nice toy. Wanna trade?

Just went to their site input the type of Porsche I have and a pop up stated vehicle not covered by WD. I tried it with different years and States with same results for 911s. Porsche must have some kind of rep for repairs...hehehe...

Um...I just tried the WD site and they seem to cover 2003 or newer 996's in California. They don't cover 2002 and older "911s" though. Their CA program has been suspended though but it may resume shortly according to WD.

- Ahsai

Edited by Ahsai