Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Victor wheels and tires

Has anyone experience Victor wheels like the one's in the link below.

http://www.ddswholesale.com/catalog/Victor...eels/Album2.htm I decided not to track my Boxter S so I am going to replace stock wheel with something like these with Nitto's tires. Any suggestion as what size to have on 19" wheels. The car is going to be a daily driver.

Ben

Seems from lots of posts here and at other boards, 19" wheels don't seem to be very popular on Boxsters. Seems the 19's effect everything from ride comfort, rigidity and, besides the tires are alot more expensive.

Not only that, they are friggin heavy. Unsprung weight is everything, go and add huge amounts of weight to your wheel and tire setup (19" wow) and it will be like somebody just sucked 20hp out of your car.

Even if the weight is the same as your 17" the 19" are larger and thus pushing the weight out farther away from the center of the wheel taking more inertia to turn. Even at the same weight the car will be slower.

From a performance standpoint fit the smallest wheel you can (within reason) but one also large enough for visual appeal. On a boxster that magical number seems to be around 17" as you really can't readily get a 16" tire thats 265 in the rear. When you can find them they are super expensive. If you have to go larger than 17" then go to an 18" which even at that will slow the car down.

Edited by 986Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Those would make your Boxster look like an Escalade!

actually my car looks great with 19" black mesh. and yes its still a PORSche. however the ride is stiff, its a bit of trade off......looks vs performance. .....make sure to get hub center rings to reduce vibration.

They look kinda nice. I'd prefer a symmetrical design... the spokes look asymmetrical... so they'll look like they're going one way on one side of the car, and the other on the opposite side. I have the 'twists' on my car, and they are my least favorite p-car wheel. Someday I'll remedy that.

I echo what people say here. Bigger wheels will affect the power you can get to the ground, and how fast you can get it there. They will affect ride quality, and will result in more expense for tires.

I'm happy with my 18" wheels, and if I replace them with the ones I want, I'll probably stick with the same sizes.

Not only that, they are friggin heavy. Unsprung weight is everything, go and add huge amounts of weight to your wheel and tire setup (19" wow) and it will be like somebody just sucked 20hp out of your car.

Even if the weight is the same as your 17" the 19" are larger and thus pushing the weight out farther away from the center of the wheel taking more inertia to turn. Even at the same weight the car will be slower.

From a performance standpoint fit the smallest wheel you can (within reason) but one also large enough for visual appeal. On a boxster that magical number seems to be around 17" as you really can't readily get a 16" tire thats 265 in the rear. When you can find them they are super expensive. If you have to go larger than 17" then go to an 18" which even at that will slow the car down.

Jim, no logic in your assertion, the wheel diameter with tyre is the same no matter what the rim size as the aspect ratio of the tyre reduces, this also affects speedometer readings.

Weight difference would be so negligable no one could measure a difference, of course you could also claim driving at night the car is slower as there is a greater load on the alternator powering the lights, or having just had a meal the return journey takes longer - sure there are differences but not worthwhile differences, I would also guess the extra alloy to make a 19 inch rim in weight is less than the reduced tyre aspect ratio, well perhaps a few gramms.

Jim, no logic in your assertion, the wheel diameter with tyre is the same no matter what the rim size as the aspect ratio of the tyre reduces, this also affects speedometer readings.

Weight difference would be so negligable no one could measure a difference, of course you could also claim driving at night the car is slower as there is a greater load on the alternator powering the lights, or having just had a meal the return journey takes longer - sure there are differences but not worthwhile differences, I would also guess the extra alloy to make a 19 inch rim in weight is less than the reduced tyre aspect ratio, well perhaps a few gramms.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculato...p?action=submit

Too bad they don't give the weights for the wheel combo's.

Anyway i am going to go with 17" being the lightest of all. I can't remember off the top of my head the equation for calculating the weight of something spinning but i am sure it is more then negligable. Anyway remember back to when Porsche had the brake calipers on the front of the rotor? I am talking about the front brake systems. Then they moved them behind the rotor. Why? Cause having that extra weight behind brings the balance of the car closer to the center. Less weight in front of the front wheels the better and opposite for the rear.

post-16847-1179422739_thumb.jpg

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculato...p?action=submit

Too bad they don't give the weights for the wheel combo's.

Anyway i am going to go with 17" being the lightest of all. I can't remember off the top of my head the equation for calculating the weight of something spinning but i am sure it is more then negligable. Anyway remember back to when Porsche had the brake calipers on the front of the rotor? I am talking about the front brake systems. Then they moved them behind the rotor. Why? Cause having that extra weight behind brings the balance of the car closer to the center. Less weight in front of the front wheels the better and opposite for the rear.

The "Negligable" comment refers to the measurement of performance, the mass as a whole has the same diameter no matter whether you have a 17" rim or a 19", the tyre weight for the smaller rim will be greater than the tyre for the 19, put the two together and the difference is negligable - and couldnt be measured in straightforward performance.

Anyway if performance is everything then only slim people shoud have a Porsche, spare wheel can go and have a can of inflater/sealer, remove the passenger seat to prevent extra weight getting in the car and saving the weight of the seat and remove the roof as you can get a hard top (alluminium) for the wet days, we could go on but i just find people become so focused in the minutia that reality gets lost (Like audio boffins who have their speakers on little metal cones,, and driven using low loss cable) the world has gone mad.

Drive and enjoy the car, focus on what pleases you, If you want 19s have them