Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

This is a side project so we only work on it every so often. but yes, we have durametrics but havent hooked it up yet and yes the engine spins over fine when the pins are jumped but will not start. I will report back once we check some more things.

ok, everything seems to be there except the ground from the ECU when in the crank/start position. If I ground the wire at the relay, the starter will turn over with the key but it still wont start. EVerything leads to a bad immobilizer except for the fact that it is brand new and been coded and tested.

Does anyone know of a place i can send the ECU to get it reprogrammed so it doesnt need the immobilizer? I would think most race cars have had this done??

A few things I can think of:

- the 15A fuse on the alarm module itself

- are all the airbags intact and car has not been in a crash. Alarm takes input signal from the crash unit

- key RFID signal coil and transformer which feeds to the alarm

fixed... lesson learned. it was an immobilizer problem. sort of.. For all to see--- as i mentioned earlier, we did not have a key, just the remote head. We had it taped (or held) up to the module on top of the ignition switch which picks up the chip in the key but apparently it has to be exactly right inside the ignition sensor ring and not just @ 1/2" away on top of it. We simply held the key fob in the exact place it would be if we had a key and it fired right up on the first crank.. That's a little embarrassing but I cant believe simply moving it 1/2" solved this problem. Doi !!

Edited by rattlsnak

What is involved in changing the DME in a 1999 C4 6-speed? I have a replacement unit with the same part number, Durametric reports no fault codes but the car will not start because the replacement DME is not coded to the car. What info do I need to have the replacement DME coded to my car? Do I need any info from the donor vehicle? (VIN?) Thanks Paul G

The DME failed on my 2000 C2. After diagnosis, it did not take the dealer long to complete the swap. New DME was loaded with info from old DME, and they reminded me to bring my spare keys so that the new Imobilizer could be programmed to accept them.

As an aside, this was done well past warranty by a dealer who did not sell me the car. Hennessy in north Atlanta said they found this to be so rare that they would give me the part at cost and charge no labor for the job. That's my kind of dealer.

• 9 years later...

Hi!

Continuing this old thread with a new problem;

I`ve got a 996 manual my2000 that is being under built. It is originally 3.4l and has had a DME 99661860400 which is now broken and I don`t think it can be fixed anymore.

Well I`m swapping the engine now to m96.04 3.6l MY2001. My question is do I need an DME 99661860500 and will it be able to function in this body?

Also the original key of the car is missing so I`ll be having some immobilizer issues in any case once I get all the parts needed.....

Hope someone could give me some information for this situation!

• Admin
3 hours ago, Mikco said:

Hi!

Continuing this old thread with a new problem;

I`ve got a 996 manual my2000 that is being under built. It is originally 3.4l and has had a DME 99661860400 which is now broken and I don`t think it can be fixed anymore.

Well I`m swapping the engine now to m96.04 3.6l MY2001. My question is do I need an DME 99661860500 and will it be able to function in this body?

Also the original key of the car is missing so I`ll be having some immobilizer issues in any case once I get all the parts needed.....

Hope someone could give me some information for this situation!

Yes, you will need the DME for a 3.6 as the varicams are different. You will need a PIWIS to re-program it to your car. Likewise with the keys/immobilizer they will likely need to be re-programmed also. 

16 hours ago, Loren said:

Yes, you will need the DME for a 3.6 as the varicams are different. You will need a PIWIS to re-program it to your car. Likewise with the keys/immobilizer they will likely need to be re-programmed also. 

Hi Loren, 

I think that variocam system is the same on m96.01/02/04 engines even though the displacement is bigger on later series m96.04? Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

The m96.03 series engines have different type cam system (VarioCam plus). 

It would be essential for me to know the difference between DME units 99661860400 and 99661860500 so that I know which one to buy for my project. 

And This is the source I'm referring to as I think I'm having the late 661 m96/04 as displacement 3.6l

WWW.STUTTCARS.COM

Porsche 911 (996) Engine Codes At its debut, the 996 featured the most significant change from the classic 911 series: a...

• Admin

Engine M 96/03

General
The engine for the 911 Carrera in model year 2002 is a further development of the previous engine.

During the development of this engine, particular attention was directed at reducing fuel
consumption while simultaneously increasing engine performance and torque.

Summary of modifications:
- Crankshaft - bearings and stroke
- Crankcase
- Pistons with Graphal coating
- Valve gear
- Cylinder head
- Valve stroke control on intake side with axial variable camshaft timing (VarioCam Plus)