Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sun Visor Mirror Return Springs

Loren,

Thanks for your help with the rear window trim issue. Is it possible to remove the sun visor mirror assembly from the visor. Both return springs shown in the foreground of the photo have come loose and were bouncing around inside the mirror. At least I have found yet another annoying rattle but the mirror wont stay open and moves when the visor is down.

Congratulations for this forum, wish I had found it 4 years ago, signing up as a contributing member today.

The list of problems with my 996 would fill a book but at least with the forum I can fix most problems myself without having to go through the frustration and expense of using a Porsche dealer. The car is just about sorted now, only took 4.5 years.

Glenn

post-2-1079236002_thumb.jpg

On my 5-year old car my passenger visor's lid springs are gone (lid just flops down when opened) and the driver's side is half-way there too. Porsche told me this is a common problem but that the whole visor has to be replaced and of course they're something like £160 ($280) each. I wasn't going to worry, but if I can fix it myself then that would be great. Can these be fixed? Loren, could you send me any details you have? Thanks.

• Admin

Well, the springs are just little brass clips (as Glenn showed in the first pic). So the problem is likely finding just those pieces or making your own.

The plastic hinge pins are very fragile so be careful. If they break you will need replace the whole visor.

...or drill a small hole where the pin was and glue in a metal one (don't ask me how I know that - :lol: )

Paul,

When I dismantled the visor mirror I found that the two plastic slots that hold the metal springs had both cracked. They are so thin there is no way they are going to last. Really low quality plastic moulding.

I have used two small strips of velcro on the plastic section between the lights and the mirror and two on the inside of the lid. This holds the lid closed when the visor is down and is hardly noticeable when the mirror is open.

When I bought this car new I had no idea that I would be spending many weekends fixing Porsche quality problems. The car looks and goes great but much of the build quality and components are no better than a $10K compact.

They cost A$200K here

Glenn

Edited by rattles

I had the exact same problem with the poorly designed plastic slot breaking in the visor mirror flap. How could such wonderful engineers come up with such a Mickey Mouse Design?????? The two small pieces of velcro did the trick. :angry:

• 8 months later...
I guess you mean like this?

I'll send you details via email. Be very careful not to break the plastic hinge pins on the mirror cover.

Hi Loren,

I just found this thread since I just bought me a 99 carrera 4 last week :D :)

and have the same problem. I'd appreciate if you could also send me details via email.

Thanks,

Thorsten

• Admin

I guess you mean like this?

I'll send you details via email. Be very careful not to break the plastic hinge pins on the mirror cover.

Hi Loren,

I just found this thread since I just bought me a 99 carrera 4 last week :D :)

and have the same problem. I'd appreciate if you could also send me details via email.

Thanks,

Thorsten

You've got mail...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the instructions Loren!

Don't know what happened with my last post so I'll just try again:

Is anybody interested in a description how to fix the visors? I used a 'hot glue pistol' for that (at least that's what we call it in Germany) an could post some pictures here.

Thorsten

Yes please. I'd like to try to do a proper fix on my visors, so the more information and pictures the better. Thanks.

Thanks for the instructions Loren!

Don't know what happened with my last post so I'll just try again:

Is anybody interested in a description how to fix the visors? I used a 'hot glue pistol' for that (at least that's what we call it in Germany) an could post  some pictures here.

Thorsten

Okay first you'll need the description from Loren on how to disassemble the visor. If you don't have it yet, just send me a mail and I'll will forward it to you. This way we don't bother loren with the same request over and over again.

In my case the brass clips were still there so I could use them again. If you're careful when removing the mirror part you should be able to find them inside the visor since they can't just disappear in there. Most likely they are still intact because its the plastic part that is designed to break :cursing: If the clips look more like a V than a U, adjust them . Otherwise they will not have enough tension to hold the mirror cover up later on.

As I said you'll need one of these:

post-3714-1102349527_thumb.jpg

I've added the picture because I suppose it's not really called a hot glue pistol in english.

Okay, then use some small pliers to press the brass clip in place. Most likely the plastic piece will now fail completely and you will find yourself searching for the clip. A light interior color will help :)

post-3714-1102349964_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile you should have heated the glue pistol and now use it to fix the clip in its position. I did this alone and with the visor still attached to the car, so if you can find a second person to hold the pliers while you do this you'll be less frustrated. Make sure to apply the glue generously and since it doesn't really deserve the name 'glue' but is rather liquid plastic you have to assure a mechanical hold. THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT.Do this by squeezing it sideways under the plastic (arrows). Don't worry, nobody will see the mess after reassembling it. Now you need to wait about one minute for it to get hard. (The glue!) You might have to extend the waiting since I had close to freezing point inside the car that day :eek:

post-3714-1102350706_thumb.jpg

After that you can remove the pliers and now cover the clip fully with the glue (at this stage my camera's battery failed so no more pics).

Reassemble and you're done! The whole thing will take about 30-45 min.

This week I've exchanged the trunk lever with the new alloy version and put in a 'Becker Traffic Pro Highspeed' nav-radio. My next project will be removing the roof rattle so I would appreciate if someone could give me instructions on how to remove the roof lining..

Edited by toddel68

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested in Graphite Grey Excellent condition visors from as 03 Turbo x50 please let me know. I will sell them for $190US including shipping to the US. The only item that may need to be"fixed" is the cover plate of the screw but it can be easily glued on, since on one of the visors they fell off. Reason for offering this as an alternative is: I replaced mine with Leather ones.

email me at alex_garcia@mindspring.com

• Admin
Hi,

Would it be possible to add the light because my sunvisor doesn't have the lights,  and where should I take my 12v current?

regards

The visor has no wires that go to it - all electrical contact is made through the metal clips when it is seated (see pic). It is going to be tough if your visors don't have the electrical contacts built into the visor clip.

post-2-1108050486_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Would it be possible to add the light because my sunvisor doesn't have the lights,  and where should I take my 12v current?

regards

The sunvisors have integrated lights, but they have connectors where they clip on. I would think you can buy the clips from the Porsche dealer and then wire them with your dome light?

• 6 months later...