Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Unsmooth clutch operation

I am trying to diagnose a strange clutch problem for an 02 C2. When I try to engage the clutch with the engine running, it feels as though the pedal releases in sticks-and-slips, making it hard to engage smoothly in stop and go traffic. There also seems to be more clutch chatter. This almost happened overnight. About 10k miles ago the clutch was declared as healthy for an RMS repair.

Any idea what the cause could be? Release bearing? Pressure plate binding on the splines?

Thanks.

• Admin

There is no accumulator on 996 Carrera's.

If the brakes feel good then there is not likely a leak in the system. The hydraulic clutch and brakes use the same reservoir and system.

Try to see if there is any binding in the pedal mechanism.

Could also be your master or slave cylinder is bleeding down.

Or it could be the release bearing.

I think you need to remove some variable of what it isn't.

What does the clutch feel like with the car off? Could be the accumulator.

The clutch pedal feels smooth(er). I did some more testing, and what I seem to feel is engine rotation transmitted to the pedal. So the stick slip feel seems synchronized with engine rpm.

To answer some of the other questions, I did pressure bleed my brakes recently, but I did not do my clutch.

The clutch saga continues: I had it checked out at the dealer and they believe either the clutch material disintegrated or the pressure plate warped. Neither one is of course covered under any sort of warrantee.

However, the plot thickens. On my drive home I accelerated hard from one light, and the clutch pedal suddenly became very soft and the clutch started slipping.

Any speculations on what may have happened? Pressure plate defective?

I still feel this is not normal wear and tear. The clutch material was examined about 5k miles ago during an RMS replacement and found to have 50% material left. On my other cars, I usually get around 100k miles out of a clutch, so I find this to be a bit soon. I am familiar with a clutch slipping but not the sudden change in pedal feel.

Do you have a warrantee??? If its the slave/master cylinder or release baring, then those are covered under warrantee (Porsche warrantee anyway). You need to get an agreement from the dealer that if it proves to be one of these rather than the clutch plate, then parts and labour will be covered for the needless replacement of the clutch etc.

The diaphragm spring in the pressure plate is cracked, replacement of the complete clutch is recommended.

That sounds like a reasonable diagnosis. Is this a warranty item? So far I have not been too lucky for P to step warranty anything clutch related. I have the pre-owned extended warranty which is about to expire (figures).

I have a regular 2002 C2. I gather my choices for clutch replacement are as follows:

1) Replace with OEM item

2) Replace with Turbo Clutch

3) Replace with Sport Clutch (which comes with a lighter flywheel).

I am inclined to do 1 or 2.

Any experiences in the benefits and downsides of 2?

How much heavier is the clutch application?

How does it affect driveability?

Does it last longer than 1?

Thanks.

• Moderators

Replacement with OEM is the only option, turbo clutch is different. I don't no if the clutch is still covered in the extended warranty after 5 years, give it a try.

• 3 years later...

At the moment I am having a hard time bleeding my clutch system after a replacement of both Master & Slave components.

Any tips for me?

My 996 has been on the car-lift for 2 days now. :help:

Are you using a pressure bleeder? Also, do you top off your brake fluid reservior to MAX before bleeding?