Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Putting up my rag top the other day and the left side white plastic ball joint connected to the black steel push rod basically exploded into about twenty pieces. I've read posts about supergluing them back together which is not an option for me. I was wondering where I could buy some new better quality ones made of metal or some other durable material.

Matt

Putting up my rag top the other day and the left side white plastic ball joint connected to the black steel push rod basically exploded into about twenty pieces. I've read posts about supergluing them back together which is not an option for me. I was wondering where I could buy some new better quality ones made of metal or some other durable material.

Matt

Matt:

There has been a lot written on this topic here. The problem with using the metal ball joints is that they may not give way when there is a malfunction with your top mechanism and thereby cause some much greater ($$) damage. Tool pants posted on the topic, along with the name of the person who had made some for sale. I don't know if they are still available

Porsche will not sell just the plastic ball joint part, and only makes it available as a part of the larger, more expensive, joint arm.

There is a guy, named Martijn Brink (in the Netherlands) who recently had the plastic ball joints duplicated (in black) and he has started selling them on eBay. I bought a few from him and they are exact duplicates (except for being black) and good quality. If you want his e-mail, drop me a PM and I'll send it to you. He is very reputable and accomodating.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Matt

Listen to Maurice. I’d add to that though that you ought to find out why it exploded in the first place.

Regards, PK

Thanks guys appreciate the info. My top was down all summer as I only drove on nice days and I kept her in the garage. It was a chilly day when I finally put the top up and I think it was a little two much stress on the whole mechanism. It's not exactly the beefiest design ya know. Anyway, Maurice, I'll drop u a PM and get your belgian connection.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Both of my caps exploded. I'm getting ready to buy these but I noticed when I was diagnosing the car, that the push rod arms are waaaaaay tight and have been pushed down where I can't move them. Is there a trick to freeing them? Or how about a quick How-To?

Thanks guys :)

Both of my caps exploded. I'm getting ready to buy these but I noticed when I was diagnosing the car, that the push rod arms are waaaaaay tight and have been pushed down where I can't move them. Is there a trick to freeing them? Or how about a quick How-To?

Thanks guys :)

Iatros:

If your push rods arms are stuck into the foam liner (the liner that directs rain water into the drains), you can move the levers in the direction that will "unstick" them by spinning the drive cables. You can spin the drive cables by pulling off the clips that hold them into the electric motor (in the convertible top well, just forward of the third brake light) and then connecting the inner metal speedometer-type to your drill. Spinning the drive cables will turn the V-levers either clockwise or counter-clockwise and will take the tension off the push rod arms so that they just "dangle" from the V-levers.

Before you spin the cables individually, be sure to CAREFULLY mark the position of the V-levers so that it will be easier for you to re-synch the V-levers when you are all done.

One thing you will also definitely have to attend to is to make sure that there is no tear or rip in your foam liners, otherwise when it rains (or when you wash your car) you will get water into the cabin and under the seats. Be extremely careful about getting water under the driver's seat because of the immobilizer unit located there.

Regards, Maurice.

• 3 weeks later...
I bought them from the belgian guy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=190183471400

they are indeed the exact same as the white caps and they work great.

This guy doesn't seem to be selling them on eBay anymore. Does anyone have his email address where I can contact him?

Thanks,

azzar0.

azzar0:

Just sent you a PM.

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought them from the belgian guy on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=190183471400

they are indeed the exact same as the white caps and they work great.

This guy doesn't seem to be selling them on eBay anymore. Does anyone have his email address where I can contact him?

Thanks,

azzar0.

azzar0:

Just sent you a PM.

Regards, Maurice.

The guy is back on e-bay here:

Mr Brink In Netherlands

He now has White or Black. I just ordered a set.

Later from Rockymount

Edited by rockymount1

• 5 months later...
Hi All,

I have experienced the same problem and would like to just buy the plastic cap, but the eBay contact is gone. Does anyone have any updated information?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Chris:

Check your PM, I have just sent you the info you need.

Regards, Maurice.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All,

I have experienced the same problem and would like to just buy the plastic cap, but the eBay contact is gone. Does anyone have any updated information?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Hi,

I have been working on top issues, had one of the old red caps break, found the ebay link live again, perhaps this can help you or someone else sometime.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-pla...sspagenameZWDVW

Edited by Charlestonboxster

• 1 year later...

I ran across this post about plastic ball joint for convertible top, and I tried to find that Belgium Ebay seller and the posted links are no longer valid.

Can someone tell me how to contact this guy that sells those plastic ball joints?

Thank you in advance!

I ran across this post about plastic ball joint for convertible top, and I tried to find that Belgium Ebay seller and the posted links are no longer valid.

Can someone tell me how to contact this guy that sells those plastic ball joints?

Thank you in advance!

dsulu:

Sent you a PM.

Regards, Maurice.

When I took the top apart, the rubber bushings that go in the pushrods had rotted away and disappeared long ago, so I'm not sure of the correct orientation.

Is this correct, or should it be inserted from the opposite side? In other words, does the thick part go on the outside like in my photo, or on the inside between the pushrod and the lever?

Also, I'm thinking that while I have this apart I should replace the red cap on the other side before it detonates. I have to take the pushrod off anyway to insert the new bushing. May I also have the contact info for the guy that sells the plastic caps?

Thanks,

Mark

pushrod.jpg

Edited by black99986

When I took the top apart, the rubber bushings that go in the pushrods had rotted away and disappeared long ago, so I'm not sure of the correct orientation.

Is this correct, or should it be inserted from the opposite side? In other words, does the thick part go on the outside like in my photo, or on the inside between the pushrod and the lever?

Also, I'm thinking that while I have this apart I should replace the red cap on the other side before it detonates. I have to take the pushrod off anyway to insert the new bushing. May I also have the contact info for the guy that sells the plastic caps?

Thanks,

Mark

pushrod.jpg

Mark:

IIRC, the thick part of the rubber bush is supposed to be oriented so that it's on the inside, between the pushrod and the lever. I believe it's meant to minimize or eliminate any noise caused by the two metal parts bumping into each other during the rotation of the V-levers.

It would be a good idea to install two new plastic ball cups and keep the one red one that is still intact as a spare for emergencies.

I have sent you a PM for the contact info.

Regards, Maurice.

• Upvote 1

I would also love to have the email address of the gentleman in Belgium who has the plastic caps for sale.

One of my drive cables failed late last fall and this spring I took the car into a repair shop to fix. They suggested new drive rods and installed the new ones with the white caps. The mechanic managed to install them inside out and the adjusting nut hooked on the center hub of the drive gearbox. The car was returned to me this way and the result other than two bent drive rods was that one of the new white plastic caps exploded the second time I activated the roof. This time I just fixed it myself and reused the original rods with the red caps. They look in good condition but as everyone claims, I expect they will fail eventually.

Last week I noticed a 2” crack in my rear window. I did some digging on ebay and this forum. I was thinking of going with a new top with the glass window till I read of the service access problems on this forum. So I have decided to have a new rear window sewn into the current top. In the morning I will start phoning the sail makers in the Toronto area and get some prices. If anyone knows of someone in this area please let me know.

It is always something on one of the cars..........

• 2 months later...

i am now a victim of the exploding plastic ball joint failure and need the source info for parts. Both sides failed for me on my '05 987( mine are white). There were some sinister noises coming from the top mechanism when it failed and I think each ball joint failed on separate attempts to raise/lower the top. is there a way to troubleshoot the mechanism to determine if something caused this failure or do these parts just simply wear out? Also when replacing the ball joints do I remove the entire lever arm or will it assemble in place? Thanks in advance.

i am now a victim of the exploding plastic ball joint failure and need the source info for parts. Both sides failed for me on my '05 987( mine are white). There were some sinister noises coming from the top mechanism when it failed and I think each ball joint failed on separate attempts to raise/lower the top. is there a way to troubleshoot the mechanism to determine if something caused this failure or do these parts just simply wear out? Also when replacing the ball joints do I remove the entire lever arm or will it assemble in place? Thanks in advance.

Gus:

I have sent you a PM for the source for buying just the ball cups.

You can replace the plastic ball cups without having to remove the entire pushrod. If you don't want to strain your back while working on the pushrod, you can just unbolt the 10mm bolt with fat washer and separate the two halves of the pushrod. Just be sure to mark the two halves with nail polish so as to reassemble it to same overall length, and also make sure that you screw in the new plastic ball cup the same number of turns on the threaded rod end of the pushrod as the original.

The white plastic ball cups don't normally "just wear out", so you may have to examine your mechanism components further to try to determine the cause of the failure. The ball cups are designed to fail before much more expensive parts (magnesium components of the frame) get damaged.

Be careful not to operate the top with the broken pushrod dangling as it can dig into the foam drain tray and damage it, eventually ending up in water getting into the cabin and under the driver's seat, where it will promptly fry the central alarm control unit.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...