Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

had car 5 days some one stole turbo logo! Alarm help

I have a 2001 996 turbo and within the first 5 days of owning it (Haven't even driven it yet) someone in my underground parking stole my turbo logo off the back and scratched up my paint in the process. Why they wanted it I have no idea, but my question is the foam and adhesive backing they left behind is it easily enough removed to install a new logo or is it better to just repaint, also on my motorcycle I had a permiter alarm installed which went off if someone even came close to it and has anybody installed something similar in their car. And if so what brand, I really don't want to mess with what the car already comes with I would just like to add an exterior motion detector to it. Thanks, someone please respond soon as I don't want this to only be the beginning.

I have a 2001 996 turbo and within the first 5 days of owning it (Haven't even driven it yet) someone in my underground parking stole my turbo logo off the back and scratched up my paint in the process. Why they wanted it I have no idea, but my question is the foam and adhesive backing they left behind is it easily enough removed to install a new logo or is it better to just repaint, also on my motorcycle I had a permiter alarm installed which went off if someone even came close to it and has anybody installed something similar in their car. And if so what brand, I really don't want to mess with what the car already comes with I would just like to add an exterior motion detector to it. Thanks, someone please respond soon as I don't want this to only be the beginning.

Gearhead:

Bummer!

You can remove the foam and adhesive backing by squirting some 3M Adhesive Remover (Red Can) onto where the foam meets the car body. It will slowly soften up the adhesive and allow you to wipe it off completely without damaging the paint.

If you are squeamish about doing it, try it on some hidden part of the painted body first (i.e., the inside of the gas cap lid, under a wheel well liner, etc.). I've always had good success with it and it has never damaged a finish on me.

Regards, Maurice.

Proximity alarms have the unforseen and unwanted effect of attracting and annoying some folks who walk near the car, or in your case, the motorcycle. In some cases, it can motivate them to do something untoward to the vehicle. By their very nature and design, Porsches and other fine machines attract attention...some good, some bad. We've all heard the horror stories of keyed paint or torn off logos, mirrors, or center caps etc.....perpetrated by jealous idiots who seem to delight in defiling a beautiful car....almost like they were getting even for the fact you have something beautiful and they don't. I dont' think proximity alarms do much other than attract attention. A flashing light on the dash lets folks know that the car is alarmed.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that...that really sucks. Good news is that you still have a beautiful car. If that happened to me, I'd probably want to move, or build a steel and locked enclosure to park in... Can you rent an enclosed garage where you live?

Maybe another option is to back your car in and go as far as you can without hitting the wall...it may at the very least show that flashing red light a little more clearly, and not advertise the turbo logo.