Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dealer Headlight Litronics install..ridic!

So im lazy, and i have a 99 boxster and i was gonna install lits on my old baby and i dont wanna do it myself.

so i went to the dealer, and they say 3300.

3300???? :soapbox:

i mean i know litronics go for around 1300 for the parts, so are they charging 2000 for install (at which id just do it myself)

or is this something different, i.e. self leveling lights (is it even possible)

i know you all probably cant tell me exactly, this is this or that but,

anyone with any insight would be appreciated :renntech:

thanks.

So im lazy, and i have a 99 boxster and i was gonna install lits on my old baby and i dont wanna do it myself.

so i went to the dealer, and they say 3300.

3300???? :soapbox:

i mean i know litronics go for around 1300 for the parts, so are they charging 2000 for install (at which id just do it myself)

or is this something different, i.e. self leveling lights (is it even possible)

i know you all probably cant tell me exactly, this is this or that but,

anyone with any insight would be appreciated :renntech:

thanks.

Johnnay:

The self-leveling aspect of the Litronics cannot be installed after the fact.

Litronics are closer to $1,300 each than $1,300 a pair.

So, that would only result in a labor charge of $700. Kick back and have an expensive beer while the dealer does the install. It should take them about that amount of time to do the actual install. :P

Regards, Maurice.

yes, the price on factory Litronics has gone waaaay up recently. they used to be $1300 for a pair. now they are more like $2400 per pair.

i would try to find some used Litronics or do the xenon conversion that some folks here have done (for less than $150! - but you won't have the headlight 'dip' when braking. this is not a concern for most people.)

You must have more money than sense.

Nothing very special about the litronics but i can see why you would want HID.

Get a HID kit and spend an hour on the car fitting it - few beers etc and make a fun day.

Being lazy and letting someone fit your lights is like getting an electrician in to change a light bulb.

Being lazy and letting someone fit your lights is like getting an electrician in to change a light bulb.

Well...You might be understimating the work that goes in a properly done HID conversion - I did mine and it didn't take only 30 min. I did have fun doing it, though, but it did take some interest and attention.

Just a thought,

Gus

Let me set something straight;

-halogen assembly w/ Xenon conversion is nice and bright,but the light projected isn't perfectly laid out

-Litronics look cool and are nice,not as much light output as a conversion but the light stays where it should be.

I have a Xenon conversion on my 01' 986 S and Litronics on my 01' 996 c2. Conversion are amazing for the price but I'd get real Litronics if you can afford it.

Edited by blinkwatt

HID conversion in full

Remove both headlight units

Take cover of back of units (clips off)

Remove halogen bulb

Connect the cable that used to go to the bulb to the connection on the ballast unit

Double sided tape or velcro the ballast unit to the clip off cover you took off earlier

Fit new HID bulb into place

Connect output from balast unit to bulb

And thats it

Just add beers

Litronics aren't a 30 minute install. Neither should it cost $700. The truth lies somewhere between. I have done two sets of litronics. With a partner working in parallel, it took us probably an hour to an hour and a half start to finish the second set. The first set, maybe two to two and a half hours because we were really analyzing the instructions (you have to drill holes in your car - you want to get that right!)

I don't know anything about the HID conversion kits so I can't comment on that. I wanted the actual Porsche retrofit litronics and got a great deal on a slightly used set.

HID conversion in full

Remove both headlight units

Take cover of back of units (clips off)

Remove halogen bulb

Connect the cable that used to go to the bulb to the connection on the ballast unit

Double sided tape or velcro the ballast unit to the clip off cover you took off earlier

Fit new HID bulb into place

Connect output from balast unit to bulb

And thats it

Just add beers

Glyn:

Thank you for an excellent and succinct summary of the HID conversion.

Regards, Maurice.

Litronics aren't a 30 minute install. Neither should it cost $700. The truth lies somewhere between. I have done two sets of litronics. With a partner working in parallel, it took us probably an hour to an hour and a half start to finish the second set. The first set, maybe two to two and a half hours because we were really analyzing the instructions (you have to drill holes in your car - you want to get that right!)

I don't know anything about the HID conversion kits so I can't comment on that. I wanted the actual Porsche retrofit litronics and got a great deal on a slightly used set.

So, besides the profit that the dealer makes on the actual Litronics parts, that calculates to a labor charge of $350 to $400 per hour.

That scenario illustrates why some people use the terms "dealer" and "stealer" interchangeably.

Regards, Maurice.

HID is the true name of the type of lamps = Hight Intensity Discharge

Litronic = THis is what Porsche call them - a made up name

Zenon= This is the gas the bulb if filled with

Spoof Zenons = 55W to 100Watts halogen type bulb with a glowing element but instead of halogen gas they fill them with Zenon for mugs to buy thinking they have the real thing at a bargain price (Avoid these at all costs especially the 100Watters as they will discolour and melt your lenses if stationary for any time with headlights on

• 3 weeks later...