Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is the dealer tech right in saying my car SHOULD burn oil?

SVTHorsnake

The car is a flat 6 cylinder - so the cylinders (and pistons) are horizontal. It is fairly normal to have a little oil leak by the rings when the engine is not running. Then when you start the engine it burns off the oil.

back in highschool I had a 2.5RS Subaru that had some piston slap on start up. My thought was if any, that car would leak oil into the cyliners. It never did. That's really why I was concerned. I would go 5 to 8K miles between oil changes and my 997 is turning oil by 3k miles, with a larger capacity at that. Just seemed wrong intuitively.

Sounds like I'm good though.

Thanks, as always...

Edited by SVTHorsnake

I wouldn't sweat it....most guys on the forums will tell you (including me) that we routinely add a quart of oil every 1500 to 1800 miles. Some of the cars are adding at 1000 miles. The TT's just eat a little oil....it's just the way they're designed.....they don't leak it onto the floor....they just eat it.

I keep a notebook and record every time I add a quart....and the last add was after I had gone 1600 miles. If you drive it really hard, you'll be adding more than that....especially on a track weekend. Don't sweat it.

I may be an anomaly, and I'm almost afraid to say; my 996 Pcars consumed/consume very little oil :blush:

2002 C4S - Owned 2 yrs added 16k miles (6 track days), oil changes at 5k maybe added 0.5 L between changes

2003 TT - Owned 9 mths, purchased with 20k (changed oil straight away) now 25k mls (1 track day) and it has dropped 1 "bar" on the display. Always cool turbos before turning off, very occasionally see "smokescreen" at startup.

My cars are daily drivers, average commute 15 miles highway if traveling to office. After reading all the stories of what's "normal" and within specs I would have expected to use more. :unsure:

Edited by Danyol

• 3 weeks later...

Don't be too concerned. There are many ways these engines can consume oil normally. Sometimes the rings can position themselves to allow oil to creep by, having some smoking initially at startup. Also, with the really thin oils we run, coupled with the very low tension rings used, it's expected to have a bit more consumption.

To give you an idea what viscosity can do, I've seen in my 964, 1 qt in 700 mi using a 0w40 versus only .5 qt of usage in 4500 mi with a 20w50.

• 1 month later...

I bought my 996TT in Germany and drove it all the way down to Portugal in 2 and half days, 3100 km, cruise speeds of between 140 - 160 km/h with the occasional excursions at 200+, only stopping for fuel, food and sleep. The indicator didn't drop a single bar. I averaged 400 - 450 km per tankfull.

On my day to day usage, which is extremely irregular, ranging from one to three small trips of 5 to 10 km per day up to 100 km trips, it drops one bar per 1000 km or so. I average 250 - 350 km per tankfull (my diesel A3 averaged 900km, and my diesel A4 averaged 750km under the same usage profile!!!)

My conclusion is that the TT MAY consume oil, depending on usage profile. On transcontinental trips it may not, on commuting, yes it will. The good thing is that we actually renew some of the oil inbetween full changes.

Luis