Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

check engine light P0430 and more......

hi all, need some help here with multiple CEL codes. first time about 3 days ago, driving on the freeway when suddenly cel came on, reading that day shows P0430 ( insufficient catalyst.....). car was driving fine. no signs of any problem before and after i erased the code. last night, again on freeway, light came back on, now the codes are P0507 ( idle control systerm rpm high), P1128 manufacturer control fuel air metering, and P1130 manufacturer control fuel air metering.

the car is now driving or idling at much higher rpm (1200-1300) and sometimes even fluctuate higher. so am i facing two seperate issues or is one thing leading to another? any suggetions on possible DIYs or fix?

only thing i did was i recently removed the throttle body to clean it to fix the idle, about two month ago. car was idling much better after that.

catalytic converter is warranteed at 8 yrs 80k miles according to the dealer with vin check. :renntech:

Your car is running lean. Recheck all your fittings and connections related to the throttle body cleaning. Something may be loose, torn or broken causing a vacuum leak.

Topless,

i will check the hoses as you suggested, however the problem begin with P0430 which indicates for catalytic convertor or oxygen sensor. do you think they are related? thanks again.

Your car is running lean. Recheck all your fittings and connections related to the throttle body cleaning. Something may be loose, torn or broken causing a vacuum leak.

Topless,

i will check the hoses as you suggested, however the problem begin with P0430 which indicates for catalytic convertor or oxygen sensor. do you think they are related? thanks again.

Yes, it is very likely. When the mixture is not right the O2 sensors start squaking and throwing codes. They simply report all issues and problems upstream.

Topless,

Yes, it is very likely. When the mixture is not right the O2 sensors start squaking and throwing codes. They simply report all issues and problems upstream.

topless,

so originally when i got the Code P0430 ( insufficeint catalyst..........h2O 2 bank 2) does that mean its only the passenger side is bad?? or do i have to change set of 2? also how do i determined if pre- cat or post cat? anyone??

should i pay for oem at 150 each or buy the univeral ones on ebay or much less money. anyone experienced the univeral ones?

Now hold on there partner. Don't go changing out those O2 sensors yet. It is very likely that there is nothing wrong with them. Don't kill the messenger. They are just doing their job by reporting mixture problems upstream. All of your codes are common on a car with an intake vacuum leak.

Reinspect your intake and throttle body first. An intake vacuum leak is most likely since you just had it apart. Find the problem, fix it and reset your CEL and put 50 miles on the car to be sure it is fixed. It could also be a bad MAF, bad AOS bellows, low fuel pressure etc. Retrace your steps first.

Edited by Topless

• 2 weeks later...
thanks i will give it a try. too bad it won't happen until 3 wks later since i will be doing some traveling. hope the heat wa :P :P ve here won't kill the car while im gone. :P

Off the top of my head i think there is 1 moulded rubber seal from the TB to the flange this should not be reused for re-assembly. (you need a new one)

Would say a small split or worn gasket could be the issue, should be cheap to fix (they are alot less than 02 sensors)

• 2 weeks later...
thanks i will give it a try. too bad it won't happen until 3 wks later since i will be doing some traveling. hope the heat wa :P :P ve here won't kill the car while im gone. :P

Off the top of my head i think there is 1 moulded rubber seal from the TB to the flange this should not be reused for re-assembly. (you need a new one)

Would say a small split or worn gasket could be the issue, should be cheap to fix (they are alot less than 02 sensors)

Sam, do u have pic to this seal? i can't seem to find it online? i am assuming this is sold thru dealerships only right?

ok, i just finished removing and reinstalling the TB and checked all fittings. nothing seems to be ripped or broken. i couldn't get a new seal that connect the flange to the TB, however i did remove it to inspect it and also turned it around before putting everything back. what i noticed during was that there is a samll indentation on the rubber tube that connects to the flange after the TB and to the left side of the car, can't really see where it connects. the size of this tube is about 3/8 or 5/16. the mark is made by constant rubbing with the TB, i tried to look at it closely which i don't think there is a hole but am not 100 % sure. i am thinking to just cut it out and replaced it anyway just to see if it may help.

now since all are suggesting its an air leak is there a safe and easy way to check the vacuum system??

thanks all again for the help

One thing to check is the tube that goes from the throttle body to the air oil separator. I usually disconnect that when I am accessing the throttle body but even if you didn't, it could get cracked. That would cause the high idle.

One way to check vacuum leaks is to introduce a flammable gas (like propane) near each of the vacuum connections. If there is a leak, the gas will be sucked in and the idle will surge.

Ok so i have been having reoccurring P1128 and P1130 as well. I did the AOS about 1k miles ago.

My idle is not rock solid as i would like it to be but it is right between the 6-8 marks. Also the cars at times will slightly shake at idle....im not sure if its a problem , or do i need to reset my DME after the AOS install.

it takes 2 days for the CEL to come after reset.

I'm suspecting, U got a vacumm leak

I would check that first

Ok so i have been having reoccurring P1128 and P1130 as well. I did the AOS about 1k miles ago.

My idle is not rock solid as i would like it to be but it is right between the 6-8 marks. Also the cars at times will slightly shake at idle....im not sure if its a problem , or do i need to reset my DME after the AOS install.

is the idle fluctuaing up and down ? if it is then it may be due to dirty throttle body, just need to clean it. i was having that problem until i removed the TB and cleaned it, u can use TB or carburator spray.

• 4 weeks later...

The same sequence of events happened on my car. I had a 0430 code pop up, that eventually went away after I cleared it. Then, an 1128 and 1130 popped up and I did the oil cap check. Sure enough, there was an air leak. I replaced the AOS and I haven't had any problems since (1500 miles ago). Now I am waiting for a RMS or IMS disaster...

Check the Bellows tube of your new AOS and make sure the hose clamp wasnt over tighted bacause if you tighten it too much it could cut right through the rubber bellows tube and cause a vacuum leak. If thats not the case, then try cleaning your MAF with CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner sold at almost any autoparts store now a days.