Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire recommendations please

I recently bought an Arctic Silver 1999 966 C2 coupe and, so far, no buyers remorse. :) I'm going to need tires in the next few months. The car has 18" wheels and currently running Michelin Sports.

I am far more interested in ride and quietness rather than performance. This is mostly a city car.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

bolobar

Boy, you've done it now. A request for tire recs always starts a hot debate.

For what its worth, I ignored the N-Rating issue and researched and shopped with the same interests as yours .... ride comfort and noise .... and ended up with the Goodyear Eagle GS D3. As a bonus, it was that year's (2005) top pick as a high performance tire by Car & Driver.

Not cheap, but a great tire. I highly recommend it.

I recently bought an Arctic Silver 1999 966 C2 coupe and, so far, no buyers remorse. :) I'm going to need tires in the next few months. The car has 18" wheels and currently running Michelin Sports.

I am far more interested in ride and quietness rather than performance. This is mostly a city car.

bolobar

As others have said, you have re opened the floodgates of opinions on this topic. You can do a search here to see the many times this issue has been debated. I recently replaced my Michelin Pilot Sports with a new set of Pilot Sports. I have been very happy with the tires. Last set wore very even, lost little traction and road noise was very good. New set have been awsome so far (`500 miles).

Will

I just replaced Bridgestone Potenza with Michelin PS2 and have noticed they are quieter.

Brimwin,

Whats your take on a grip comparison?

If you don't care about the Porsche "N" designation take a look at the Bridgestone Potenza 960/AS Pole postion. Looks like a phenominal tire based on the TireRack feedback as it deals with noise ride handling, wet handling and wear!

I've been very happy with my Bridgestone Potenza RE750's. They have low wear, noise and the best thing is that

you can order them at Sams club :P

Kristian

I just replaced Bridgestone Potenza with Michelin PS2 and have noticed they are quieter.

Brimwin,

I've been very happy with my Bridgestone Potenza RE750's. They have low wear, noise and the best thing is that

you can order them at Sams club :P

Kristian

Brimwin,

One other thing I forgot to mention on the 960's, Bridgestone gives a 40,000 mile wear out warranty. Pretty unusual for a high performance tire.

Brimwin,

I haven't put them through a good workout yet - have had them on for a week and only noticed less noise.

bolobar

Try Tirerack.com....good selection and feedback on tires. I ended up getting the Bridgestone Potenza's as well. Some may complain about the noise versus other models, but the Bridgestone's are a great value from a good tire company. Besides, mine are all seasons which will probably make more noise than others.

bolobar

Try Tirerack.com....good selection and feedback on tires. I ended up getting the Bridgestone Potenza's as well. Some may complain about the noise versus other models, but the Bridgestone's are a great value from a good tire company. Besides, mine are all seasons which will probably make more noise than others.

Found a place that is cheaper than Tire Rack, www.roadwaywholesaletire.com.

Even though the price is cheaper, they are 10 miles from me so I save on the shipping costs too!

I have a Boxster with Eagle F1 GS-D3 tires that I like a lot. They're quieter than the stock Pirellis were and they're great in dry and wet conditions (the wet grip was something I was specifically loooking to improve over the Pirellis after losing traction too esily in a heavy week of Bay Area rain). I'm really surprised at the tread life on these things as well. This tire would work for what you describe, but it might come down more on the performance side whereas you're looking for better all around. I think they would also get a little squirrely if you ever drove in near-freezing weather (i.e., to Tahoe or over the Santa Cruz mountains in Winter when we get those dustings of snow) as they actually come with warnings about the rubber compound and tread pattern being pretty bad for that. There was a good comparo in Car & Driver (possibly the same one referred to in an earlier post) that helped me choose these, but it's probably dated by now. I think it was in a 2006 isue.

Goodyear has recently launched an all-season version of the same tire that would be worth consideration. I can't tell you anything about it but based on my experience with the ones I have I would look at them myself.

I just bought the Bridgestone Potenza RE-01Rs. Will let you know how I like them. Just pitched the prior owners Yoko's. I forget which tire model but the seemed to push too much in the curvies.

So concerning tire pressure recommendations...? Being new to the car I have not put it through all of its paces. I am under the impression however that many drivers tend to run too much pressure.

Albeit I can understand this on the street if you are to and fro work what have you, but what are your takes on the performance end as it relates to handling and braking?

Edited by peckel

I trying a set of these Bridgestone ADRENALIN R001

Hi Juniinc,

Would love to try these.... From what I heard they are 'Extreme Performance Summer Tires'

How did you get a hold of them? I tried the website you suggested and cant even read it :D !

I am assembling a track set on 17's and am wondering how much the Adrenalins would cost on 225/17/45 on the fronts and 255/17/40 on the rears.

All the best,

Gus

How come no one talks about Continental Sport Contact 2's, which Porsche uses? Does anyone like or dislike them??

I have these on my 18's (01 Boxster). Took them to the track twice and, even in my car, they last as long as soap!

They do feel good when they are new though.

Gus

Edited by gandrade1