Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

New Boxster engine access

Uhh sorry guys but a stupid question. I bought my first Boxster-S and was thmubing thru manual and no where in there says HOW to get to the motor for air filter etc. I like to switch my filter to BMC living up at altitude for more air.

Thanks in advance.

PS tried the search function but did nto seem to find an article past or present sorry.

It is done like a 986. The difference is the 987 uses torx screws to hold down the engine lid. The 986 has turnbuckle things.

Do you get the feeling that Porsche is gradually trying to discourage owners from accessing the engine compartments?

Regards, Maurice.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Yup, they removed the procedure from 2007-on, though the procedure itself has not changed. I just did it last weekend and it wasn't too bad at all. If you have Bose, you'll need to remove the sub. If you are opening up the engine bay, you should have a toolbox with a set of torx ready.

I have a new to me'08 Boxster.Porsche stopped putting the instructions to access the engine starting with 2007 model year. Go figure, I guess they want you to spend more $$$ at the dealers.

Here is the procedure for a 986, followed by a link to the different steps for a late 987:

1. Unlatch the top and open the top about 4 to 8 inches, with the clamshell in the rearmost position (45 degree angle)

2. Locate and pop off the lower steel ball cups at the lower end of the tension ropes. You will find the tension ropes running from the underside of the rear main bow, near the left and right "corners" of the rear main bow. The tension rope is a steel cable covered in black vinyl, with a steel balll cup at each end (top and bottom).

3. Unlatch the black horizontal rear bar that is found at the rear of the black/grey vinyl apron by rotating the bracket down and towards the front of the car. The bar is clipped onto two brackets that are bolted to the rear vertical wall of the convertible top well, just forward of the third brake light.

4. Pull up and forward on the rear main bow to gain access to expose more fully the carpeted pad that covers the engine compartment lid. If you find a strap velcro'd onto the underside of the rear main bow on the driver's side (as in a 986), pull the strap from the middle of the rear main bow and slip the loop on its end onto the tongue on the driver's side of the front edge of the convertible top frame. You may have to push or pull the top to get the strap to fit over the tongue, and that should then keep the rear main bow up and out of the way.

5. Pull off the carpeted pad which covers the engine compartment lid.

6. Locate the 4 fasteners on the top of the lid and use an appropriate tool to remove them (or turn them 90 degrees) so that you can pull the engine compartment lid up and off.

You will need a T-30 torx screw driver to unscrew the 5 bolts that have taken the place of the 4 push/pull/twist pins.

The differences with a 987 are nicely illustrated and explained at this link: http://www.ppbb.com/phorum/read.php?6,1521...520#msg-1521520

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 months later...
Do you get the feeling that Porsche is gradually trying to discourage owners from accessing the engine compartments?

I'm waiting until they have a seal and a EULA attached which voids the warranty if you break the seal. That is when I will never buy another Porsche. But they seem to be avoiding such annoyances.... for instance, they do not put in a data recorder unlike makers like Saturn.

I'm waiting until they have a seal and a EULA attached which voids the warranty if you break the seal. That is when I will never buy another Porsche. But they seem to be avoiding such annoyances.... for instance, they do not put in a data recorder unlike makers like Saturn.

Didn't Saturn go bye-bye? :o

Regards, Maurice.

• 11 months later...