Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Dumb question, what are the dash/ door materials inside a Turbo?

Dus10R

Most of the X50's I've seen have been full leather interiors...seats, dash, door panels, rear sides, column posts....and alcantra leather for the headliner. I know my previous 99 996 had plastic dash and door panels, but most of the TT's have the leather interiors.

Does anyone have one that doesn't have leather dash and door panels?

Most of the X50's I've seen have been full leather interiors...seats, dash, door panels, rear sides, column posts....and alcantra leather for the headliner. I know my previous 99 996 had plastic dash and door panels, but most of the TT's have the leather interiors.

Does anyone have one that doesn't have leather dash and door panels?

It's probably leather, but I just wanted to make sure..

Funny thing... I have a bottle of Maguires Vinyl and Rubber protectant and the picture on the outside of the bottle is of a 996 turbo dash! So it made me question my original thought that it was a leather dash.

Mine is all leather as I think most turbos are. Realize that Porsche treats the leather differently depending on where it is located in the car. The dash and door panels for example have had a process done where by the moisture is mostly removed from the leather. You do not want to use a leather conditioner that moisturizes for that leather. I use Aero 303 on that type of leather and Zaino on the other leather (seats, armrests).

You do not want to use a leather conditioner that moisturizes for that leather. I use Aero 303 on that type of leather and Zaino on the other leather (seats, armrests).

I am not too sure this is the best advice. I have never heard this before.

Bill: I haven't heard that either before about the door panels....I use a different product from everything that's been posted...it's Dr. Jackson's Leather Rejuvinator....but we all have our favorites...McGuire's, Leatherique, Zaino, etc. etc. Just depends on who you listened to when you started looking for a leather product...then you became a supporter.

I went to a leather shop that restores classic cars...talked to the guy for a long time...and that's how I ended up with my particular flavor. I used it to restore my 87 factory slant that had been a garage queen and sat covered in a hot environment for some time...the seats and interior leather became hard and that's what got me looking at the classic car restoration guys.

I can see that the leather on the dash is much smoother...almost looks like it's not leather. It's the stitching that gives leather away...so there must be a different process they use to make it look that way....but the fact that sun will eventually crack the dash if it's not periodically rejuvinated by the addition of some additive that puts oil back into the leather would make me think that you do need some sort of leather product to protect it from shrinking.

I am not too sure this is the best advice. I have never heard this before.

The preparation of leather by Porsche was told and shown to me on the factory tour in Stuttgart. Perhaps you missed the tour?

I will look for links to this as well. I have used 303 on the leather for 4 years and the dash is in perfect condition. The 303 is an excellent sunscreen...I live a mile high so UV is bad.

The preparation of leather by Porsche was told and shown to me on the factory tour in Stuttgart. Perhaps you missed the tour?

Wross996TT, there is no need for your tone and condescending remarks. I mearly challenged your position, so we all could learn more about your perspective. Sorry if you took it any other way.

Yes, I did miss the tour. Hope to do it some day! :)

Wross996TT, there is no need for your tone and condescending remarks. I mearly challenged your position, so we all could learn more about your perspective. Sorry if you took it any other way.

Yes, I did miss the tour. Hope to do it some day! :)

So your tone "not sure this is the best advice"...because YOU have not heard of this... is acceptable? Pot calling the kettle black.

Do take the tour....it is very informative.

I recently scanned through my owner's manual, and read the section about "leather care". NO place in the manual did it say, "do not put leather conditioner on the door panels or dash". It DID say to put Porsche's leather conditioner on all leather surfaces.

My full leather interior is +2 years old and looks better than the day I picked her up at the dealership. I use the leather conditioner from Color Plus on all of my leather, 1-2 times per driving season.

PS- I can still hear my father saying to me when I was about 6 years old, "if all else fails, read the owner's manual"!

The leather Porsche uses on the dash contains almost no moisture - it is specifically dried so there will be less "movement" as it goes through the big temperature changes that can occur on the dash. Introducing moisture back into the leather by using a conditioner will cause the leather to "move" with temperature changes and possibly break loose from the surface it is glued to. Here's what Porsche has to say about the leather used on the dash...

"All leather is not the same. We work with classic upholstery leather, but we also work with low-shrinkage leather. The instrument paneling, for example, can get extremely hot in summer. If the material starting tightening, what would that look like after a while? So we're talking about leather whose residual moisture has been largly removed, which means that it won't be able to shrink later." (Christophorus, No. 276 January 1999)

And links:

Eric@Bumperplugs

Rennlist

I'm out.

WROSS:

Just kuz it's in the Porsche manual doesn't make it right :) .....How do you get the leather conditioner extracted from the leather on the dash??? Just kidding....too late....but I'll quit prepping the dash.

BTW Bill....I didn't say you were wrong....I only said I hadn't heard of it before....must be in the fine print.

Hey Wross996TT:

Thanks for the links!

I have talked to Eric at Bumperplugs many-many times. I do as much business with his company as I can. Great guy, products and quality. But, I would hardly consider him an expert on leather care. He has just another opinion, just as you do. I repsect both (all)...I just choose to disagree.

As for the Rennlist link, again, just a couple more different opinions.

My Porsche Owner's Manual says to condition all the leather. I will continue to do this.

Bottom-line, my car sits in the garage 6 days a week. And the entire time from late October till early April. When it is outside, and parked, I always use a cheap-o sunshade from Wal-Mart. I drive the car every Saturday, in good weather, for at least 300-400 miles.

Lastly, the "scientist" in me says the 'relative/residual moisture' of the car's leather interior is within 2-3% of the actual humidity of the current air's condition. This is why I store my car with about 10 pounds of dessicator bags- to protect the leather and wood accents during prolonged storage.

See, no whitty replies needed. Just opinions. And a few enthusiasts talking about our passions. :)

Mr. White, I am fine with us giving opinions (some with references and basis)...as I recall it was you that challenged my opinion in the first place. You're not running for office are you?

Just for future reference....I have pasted part of the Porsche manual....seems they insist on cleaning all of the leather (BTW they suggest to use only their product....is this what you do?)

leather.jpg

Edited by wross996TT

Wross996TT, yes, I am am running for office, please come out and vote on November 4th. I need your support. How'd I do last night?

I do not use the Porsche leather care product(s). I use the products from www.colorplus.com. The Color Plus products came highly recommended to me from our local PCA Concours Judge and John Paterek is a huge fan of the products over at the Porsche Club of America's Tech/Help Section.

Edited by Loren
removed image

I do not use the Porsche leather care product(s). I use the products from www.colorplus.com. The Color Plus products came highly recommended to me from our local PCA Concours Judge and John Paterek is a huge fan of the products over at the Porsche Club of America's Tech/Help Section.

Well one of you was OK, they other was arrogant and angry. I also don't use the Porsche manual recommended leather care stuff...that was my point...the Porsche Manual is not always the best for information or recommendations.

Cheers