Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Heated Seat Works Momentarily

there is nothing quite like a cool, crisp night, cruising with the windows down and the sunroof open. the moon is shining bright in the dark sky and the sound of my (still stock, but not for long) porsche engine is intoxicating. the chill in the air is invigorating for a short time. i press the switch for my heated seat and it activates for about 30 seconds and shuts off. i try it again...same result. i try the low heat setting and it stays on a little longer, but eventually shuts off after about 3 minutes.

i think the problem might be the relay, but if so would the heating element activate at all?

is there a thermostat that could be overheating? passenger side is working fine.

thanks for any suggestions!

there is nothing quite like a cool, crisp night, cruising with the windows down and the sunroof open. the moon is shining bright in the dark sky and the sound of my (still stock, but not for long) porsche engine is intoxicating. the chill in the air is invigorating for a short time. i press the switch for my heated seat and it activates for about 30 seconds and shuts off. i try it again...same result. i try the low heat setting and it stays on a little longer, but eventually shuts off after about 3 minutes.

i think the problem might be the relay, but if so would the heating element activate at all?

is there a thermostat that could be overheating? passenger side is working fine.

thanks for any suggestions!

Typhon:

The best way to narrow this down without spending any $$$ unecessarily would be to first try to swap the driver's side switch with the passenger's side switch.

If you get no change, try the same with the relay under the seat. Note that the only difference between the driver's side relay and the passenger's side relay is the way the metal mounting bracket is mounted to the side of the plastic housing on the relay (one is a mirror image of the other).

If I had to guess which one of these two steps might yield a culprit, I would say it's the relay.

If it is one of the relays, the part number is printed on the side of the black plastic housing. Here is what it looks like:

post-6627-1225525009_thumb.jpg

(This is from my Boxster, but I believe it's the same for 996/997)

Regards, Maurice.

• 1 year later...
Where is the relay located under the seat? I looked under my drivers seat and it didnt stand out to me. Do you have to take the seat out of the car? My car is a 03 996 C2.

I have replaced a relay with both methods. Once taking the seat completely out of the car, and another by just unbolting the four bolts that hold the seat rails down and then leaning the seat bottom back, supporting it at the front with a block of wood.

If you do take the seat out, be careful not to scratch the door sill with the bottoms of the seat rail brackets.

Regards, Maurice.

Where is the relay located under the seat? I looked under my drivers seat and it didnt stand out to me. Do you have to take the seat out of the car? My car is a 03 996 C2.

I have replaced a relay with both methods. Once taking the seat completely out of the car, and another by just unbolting the four bolts that hold the seat rails down and then leaning the seat bottom back, supporting it at the front with a block of wood.

If you do take the seat out, be careful not to scratch the door sill with the bottoms of the seat rail brackets.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks guys! I will give this a try on my day off this week. My passenger heated seat works but the driver side went out so hopefully its just the relay. I check the switch and its working fine.