Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

no tow hook..How to safely tow?

Okay my saga continues with my freakin car. I have to tow my car next and my aftermarket bumpers do not have holes for the tow hook. The front has one but it doesn't line up with the hook point. :angry:

The car must be towed from the rear. Where can the tow truck place the hook in the rear so as not to damage anything? I'll destroy the front bumper if he tried from the front.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phillipj

You are in a pickle. :blink:

Do you have the tow hook or is it in the trunk and you can't get it out?

The hole for the hook in the rear is under the license plate.

If the bumper has no hole you could cut one. It'll be covered up anyway.

Yeah, try to find a tow company with a flat bed. I had to have mine towed once after the water pump failed on a road trip... I called the towing company, told them what kind of car I had, and they sent the flat bed. When the driver arrived, he said a flat bed was pretty much the way to go on these cars. His explanation was because it's rear wheel drive, it's not good to tow it a long way facing forward (drive wheels on the ground), and because it's a convertible, it's not good to tow it at highway speeds facing in reverse (I think that part probably applies more to other types of convertible cars though). Whatever the case, it was nice just to be able to drive up onto the back of the truck and not have to worry about chains damaging the bumper or axles.

I have the tow hook. The hole in the front bumper does not match up with the hook recepticle (nice :o ) There is no hole in the rear bumper and I have no idea where to make one.

Of course I will get a flat bed. I'm using my mechanics tow service.

Thanks for all the advice

• Moderators

I would remove the rear bumper ( not that difficult ) instead of making a hole in it, beside of that, what's removed can not been damaged during engine replacement.

• Admin

I have the tow hook. The hole in the front bumper does not match up with the hook recepticle (nice :o ) There is no hole in the rear bumper and I have no idea where to make one.

Of course I will get a flat bed. I'm using my mechanics tow service.

Thanks for all the advice

On US/Canada cars the rear tow hook hole is behind the license plate.

NO HOOKS! FLAT BED ONLY!

if the tow truck driver pulls a hook and chain of any shape or size out tell them to leave immeadiatley! This shows they do not have the correct equipment and do not know the proper way to tow the car and they will damage your car.

If you don't make the tow point accesable, (removing the bumper) they should be using a soft hook up, with endless loops or round slings on strong point of suspension to bring the car onto the bed.

they should be using either a shark tail flat bed or ramps to help load onto the bed. they should secure car to flat bed using wheel straps, either "porsche" straps which loop through the wheel. or over the tire straps.

other things to watch out for...

1. chains, don't allow a chain anywhere near the car.

2. no hooks, there are no hook points on a porsche other than the detatchable tow hook.(not sure of older models)

3. do not use the winch to secure the car. they should load the car with the winch and then hand tighten all tie down straps. (10,000lb winch + unattentive tow truck driver = destroyed porsche)

4. do not let them drive onto the flatbed, just search youtube and you'll see an example with a carrera gt

5. the car should be secured to bed before the bed is lifted off the ground (just in case the winch fails the car will roll off, not fall off)

Edited by kedf1

Sometimes I wonder if it is all worth it. I have no idea where my engine is. The company I bought it from (although very reputable) has zero customer service. All I know is that the engine has been shipped but they can't tell me what date it was shipped :o :huh: :angry:

I WAS SUPPOSED TO TOW THE CAR IN MONDAY WITH THE TECH FOR THE SWAP TO ARRIVE FROM ATLANTA THE SAME DAY.

Now I have to make new plans. My engine is on a truck somewhere between Wicsconsin and Los Angeles :eek: Seems like the universe is trying to make this as difficult as possible for me.

Happy New Year Everyone. :cheers: I will deal with this again in 2009! :D

Phillipj

:renntech:

Edited by phillipj