Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 3.4 to 3.6 swap for 2000 C2

My brand new 3.6 Engine will be installed the week of the 19th. Since I'm spending so much money I decided to Gold Leaf the chassis while I'm at it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, Can't wait to get the car back with warranties.................. :clapping:

Anyone who is looking for a used engine beware of "Midwest Auto Recycling". From what I can tell they never really had the engine I purchased from them and just used my money for the month.....Nice :angry:

There is a 2004 X-51 complete engine here in L.A. at a Porsche tech with 15k miles on it for $9k and no core. You may be able to negotiate the price if you have cash. If someone is interested in it PM me and I can give you the contact information.

Thanks everyone for their input on this subject.

:renntech:

Phillipj

Edited by phillipj

Congrats on the 3.6. Keep us updated on your swap progress and any issues you encounter. Are you using Rook or some other service to do the swap and programming?

I'm using Roock. We have got to know eachother quite well with all of this engine hunting nonsense. He gives a one year warranty on the parts and labor of the conversion. Hopefully there will be no "issues". I've had enough "issues" to last me quite some time :lol:

I'll keep you updated

• 2 weeks later...
Congrats on the 3.6. Keep us updated on your swap progress and any issues you encounter. Are you using Rook or some other service to do the swap and programming?

I'm using Roock. We have got to know eachother quite well with all of this engine hunting nonsense. He gives a one year warranty on the parts and labor of the conversion. Hopefully there will be no "issues". I've had enough "issues" to last me quite some time :lol:

I'll keep you updated

Does anyone know the approx. shipping weight of a 996 engine?

Joost

It's alive!!!!! :D :D :D

Engine installed yesterday and it's running. Final shake down today to make sure all electronics are functioning properly. If all goes well should be driving it later today..

:clapping:

Will update later!

Phillipj

can you share your pricing bottom line and other what nots. Is your a wrecker 3.6? New? He called me yesterday to discuss options and noted a 3.6 in ny? with 7500 miles he was thinking would be a good fit for my car. But I'm not too up to speed on the exact details on what he does with the engine besides install it and marry it up to my existing DME. I mean, is the engine inspected, modified in any way to make sure the intermiadiate shaft doesn't go boom, rms issues, and others? Otherwise i guess i would just be buying another (possibly suspect engine). I know they are supposed to be better than the 3.4's but i've heard the 3.6's also can bottom out. Let me know any details you can. Thanks phillip!

brian

Engine installed yesterday and it's running. Final shake down today to make sure all electronics are functioning properly. If all goes well should be driving it later today..

Will update later!

Phillipj

Congratulations on what is hopefully the end of your long engine ordeal, so you can get back to driving and enjoying your car!

can you share your pricing bottom line and other what nots. Is your a wrecker 3.6? New? He called me yesterday to discuss options and noted a 3.6 in ny? with 7500 miles he was thinking would be a good fit for my car. But I'm not too up to speed on the exact details on what he does with the engine besides install it and marry it up to my existing DME. I mean, is the engine inspected, modified in any way to make sure the intermiadiate shaft doesn't go boom, rms issues, and others? Otherwise i guess i would just be buying another (possibly suspect engine). I know they are supposed to be better than the 3.4's but i've heard the 3.6's also can bottom out. Let me know any details you can. Thanks phillip!

brian

I PM'd you

Will update later!

Phillipj

Congratulations on what is hopefully the end of your long engine ordeal, so you can get back to driving and enjoying your car!

Thanks Geoff! I will pick it up in a few hours. I'll post my reaction tomorrow

Foster,

Yes I got the trunk open lol! :lol:

I was going to pick up the car tonight but there seems to be some electronic issues still to sort out. I have waited this long I can wait a few more days. Apperently some codes got erased that only Porsche can re program. So Monday the car will go to Porsche and I should have it by Tuesday.

Apperently the tech locked the car. Then when he opened it back up the car would not start. Roock told me the tech may have inadvertenly erased some codes. Roock warned me that there may be some problems like this during the install. He will fly out here Monday to finish the process and make sure everything is right.

Before the problem the car ran great and the tech was very pleased. The power was strong and smooth with no issues. :D

I want the car to be right so I don't mind the wait.

Plus it is Friday in L.A. and it is raining. Their shop is about 30 minutes from me with no traffic (or rain.) Add Friday rush hour and rain and that could be a 2 hour drive lol!

Hoped to be driving my baby this weekend but what the heck.... :angry:

I'll keep the updates coming.

Phillip

Edited by phillipj

• 2 weeks later...

Will be picking up car on Thursday. The car is finished but I have been on a business trip and now I'm going out of town again til Wednesday.. It supposed to run awesome and I'm very excited to drive it. Will report my response next week. :rolleyes: This has been a very long road. I hope my experience can help others in a similar situation.

I've learned more about engine replacement than I ever wanted to know!

I ended up getting $1k for my 3.4 core.

Updates coming next week! :clapping:

Phillipj

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, after 3 long months since my 3.4 engine failure I have my car back, :clapping:

Although it still needs some additional tuning it is awesome. The 3.6 is really a different animal that the 3.4. The power band is different and the sound is completely different. It is really quite a bit faster. :D

I have the Fabspeed mufflers and the Schnell Tips and a light flywheel. Makes the car sound quite angry. :P At the end of the month my tuner will come back to LA and do a final dial in. It is intentionally running a bit rich now as well as the Device that controls the Vario Cam Plus needs to be adjusted.

If anyone is considering this swap (3.4 to 3.6) in the So Cal area and would like to drive my car I would be happy to let them test drive it. It should be perfect at the beggining of March.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone on this site for helping me get this done. I spent a lot of money but it looks like it's worth it in the big picture.

Cheers :cheers:

Phillipj

Okay, after 3 long months since my 3.4 engine failure I have my car back, :clapping:

Although it still needs some additional tuning it is awesome. The 3.6 is really a different animal that the 3.4. The power band is different and the sound is completely different. It is really quite a bit faster. :D

I have the Fabspeed mufflers and the Schnell Tips and a light flywheel. Makes the car sound quite angry. :P At the end of the month my tuner will come back to LA and do a final dial in. It is intentionally running a bit rich now as well as the Device that controls the Vario Cam Plus needs to be adjusted.

If anyone is considering this swap (3.4 to 3.6) in the So Cal area and would like to drive my car I would be happy to let them test drive it. It should be perfect at the beggining of March.

Thanks for all of the input from everyone on this site for helping me get this done. I spent a lot of money but it looks like it's worth it in the big picture.

Phillipj

Hey Phillipj,

Sounds awesome.. Good luck with your new machine....

Phillipj

Hey Phillipj,

Sounds awesome.. Good luck with your new machine....

Thanks ! :D