Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Remove PSE cutout in 2 minutes, no tools required

On page 1, someone very kindly put up photos of the thing to cut. Could someone tell me though, am i basically just cutting a length of the silver bit of that red bit?

As you will be able to tell from my description, electronics are not my thing! Is it just a case of getting some thin wire cutters perhaps and snipping out a bit so the red bit is no longer complete?

Also, in terms of actually getting to these relays - is it a get on your back and shimmy under the dash job? Is there any carpeting covering the wiring that I would need to remove first?

Thanks for the help guys, and apologies for dragging up an old post

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On page 1, someone very kindly put up photos of the thing to cut. Could someone tell me though, am i basically just cutting a length of the silver bit of that red bit?

Basically, yes - the only thing I did was to 'completely' remove the diode (the 'red' bit) so there was no risk of anything shorting accross the remaining legs of the diode - you could either tape it up - or take a bit of time and care and remove the back leg so there's nothing left of the diode.

Also, in terms of actually getting to these relays - is it a get on your back and shimmy under the dash job? Is there any carpeting covering the wiring that I would need to remove first?

Yes - stick your head under the driver's side dash - nothing to remove as the relays should be exposed.

It's a really easy - and VERY worthwhile trick - I still thank the guy who came up with it everytime I start the car, drive through a tunnel, past a high wall, overtake in second gear......... :clapping:

Philip

Basically, yes - the only thing I did was to 'completely' remove the diode (the 'red' bit) so there was no risk of anything shorting accross the remaining legs of the diode - you could either tape it up - or take a bit of time and care and remove the back leg so there's nothing left of the diode.

Yes - stick your head under the driver's side dash - nothing to remove as the relays should be exposed.

It's a really easy - and VERY worthwhile trick - I still thank the guy who came up with it everytime I start the car, drive through a tunnel, past a high wall, overtake in second gear......... :clapping:

Philip

Thanks for the help - its getting installed on Saturday, so will first try and find out if the OPC will 'fix'the issue for me, otherwise its time to explore the relays myself!

Thanks for the help - its getting installed on Saturday, so will first try and find out if the OPC will 'fix'the issue for me, otherwise its time to explore the relays myself!

if it's a new install, you don't need to cut any diode, just ask your dealer to leave the grey/pink wire supposed to go to the speedometer disconnected.

That will do the job: as the PSE does not receive any speed info, it will think the car is idle and let the sound loud

it's easier than cutting a diode and you can change your mind (I doubt so) later on by just reconnecting the wire...

That's how I've done it (asked my dealer not to connect the wire) but they were already aware of the trick...

Works fine and won't scare your dealer (some may be scarred at cutting brand new relays :-) )

Time to call on the collective help again

PSE fitted

I have the relay on my desk in front of me.

How on earth do i get the cover off? Do you have to be quite aggresive? Im worried of breaking something at the moment.

Is it a case of making a gap on the edges with 2 screwdrivers, and then somehow pulling the relay out?

Time to call on the collective help again

PSE fitted

I have the relay on my desk in front of me.

How on earth do i get the cover off? Do you have to be quite aggresive? Im worried of breaking something at the moment.

Is it a case of making a gap on the edges with 2 screwdrivers, and then somehow pulling the relay out?

Finally managed to get it open - all done and soudnds great - thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

"Also, in terms of actually getting to these relays - is it a get on your back and shimmy under the dash job? Is there any carpeting covering the wiring that I would need to remove first?"

"Yes - stick your head under the driver's side dash - nothing to remove as the relays should be exposed."

when i look under the driver's side, this is what i see.post-24562-1214202745_thumb.jpg

none of these relays appear to have the proper number. is there possibly another location? thanks!

• Admin
"Also, in terms of actually getting to these relays - is it a get on your back and shimmy under the dash job? Is there any carpeting covering the wiring that I would need to remove first?"

"Yes - stick your head under the driver's side dash - nothing to remove as the relays should be exposed."

when i look under the driver's side, this is what i see.post-24562-1214202745_thumb.jpg

none of these relays appear to have the proper number. is there possibly another location? thanks!

Double check the black relay part number.

Double check the black relay part number.

the black relay is part no. 1 397 328 015

• 3 months later...
  • Admin
is there a way of getting to the pink and grey (pse speedo) wire with out removing relays etc.

does it run under the carpet to the rear of the car?

if you cut this wire, will it remove the pse cutout aswell?

There are several pink/gray wires - so if you cut the wrong one then other things may not work.

Do you want to disable the PSE cutout all the time?

If so, then just unplug the solenoid on the engine and it will never switch.

want the dash switch to still work.

just want to disble cut off at a certain mph.

i have read the (relay way)of doing this but how do you get to the pink/grey wire that conrols the speedo on the pse ,mentioned earlier in this post.

thanks

• Admin
want the dash switch to still work.

just want to disble cut off at a certain mph.

i have read the (relay way)of doing this but how do you get to the pink/grey wire that conrols the speedo on the pse ,mentioned earlier in this post.

thanks

Sorry, then you need to find the right wire.

done the relay mod works great ..... the only thing ive noticed is my rear heated screen seems to have stopped working!..........probably just bad timing,but is it controlled of the pse relay ..... have looked at fuse that is ment to apply and all seems ok?................any ideas of things i could check to get it working again

thanks

• 8 months later...

I still want my dash button that silences the PSE to work. All I want to do is stop the PSE cutting out from 35-45mph. Will this do the trick or will this disable my dash button as well?

• Admin
I still want my dash button that silences the PSE to work. All I want to do is stop the PSE cutting out from 35-45mph. Will this do the trick or will this disable my dash button as well?

Read through the posts in this thread - the gray/pink wire is the speedometer connection - disconnecting it will not allow the speed to control the PSE - everything else works as normal.

• Moderators
i am waiting for my c4s 997 2006model with sport exhaust in about 15days from germany.

is this "cut" of the sound the same for my car?

thanks

Yes, If you are installing PSE from a kit, simply do not install the pink/grey wire that is part of the PSE harness into the relay plug.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Would just putting some insulation tape over the metal legs that plug into the board not also work and then you dont have to cut anything ohmy.gif

This is exactly what i thought , i dunno if it will still plug in with tape on im gonna have a look later .

• 2 months later...

My 03 C4S is GCC spec. (Middle eastern gulf spec modified to deal with the extremely high tempretures).

I'm not sure if it comes with PSE in this region. there is no switch in my car, i will check for the PSE relay though.

would appreciate if someone can tell me whether the 2003 models come with PSE, as my car is fully loaded and would expect such option to be there if they did have PSE for 03 models.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the instructions guys, job done in 10 mins, sounds great

glug

Did mine tonight...a bit of difficulty taking apart the relay, but completely done now and sounds excellent! And the "quiet" button on the dash still works so I don't upset the neighbors.