Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My First Maintenenace @ dealership

My 2006 987 just turned out 15k miles, so It's time to visit the Porsche dealership. I made the appointment. The service advisor told me that the following needs to be done:

1-15k maintenance @$330.00.

2-Brake fluid Coolant flush @$265.00

3-Air & AC filter replacement @$600.00

4-Wheel balance & Front end alignment @$205.00

Total is $1,400.00

My mechanics knowledge & skills are above average & don't mind doing it. Don't mind dealer performing#1 & brake fluid flush 'cause don't like dealing with brake fluid/ bleeding. Is it OK for me to perform coolant flush & item#3 & have #4 done by my tires/alignment guy? Will it void warranty?

Thanks

I don't know if there's Firestone Service Centers in your area, but the ones in Houston offer a lifetime alignment package for $140. Once you purchase it, you can have your alignment checked and adjusted as often as you like at any store.

The only catch is that expertise and service varies quite a bit from location to location.

They charge around $50 for a synthetic oil change, which really isn't that much more than doing it yourself, plus you don't have to mess with clean up, recycling the oil, etc. I just have them do an alignment everytime I'm in for an oil change.

ouch, I doubt there is a Firestone in Puerto Rico B) .

+1 Firestone,,,that is what I got, prolly used it several times already. I like the fact their equip is a 4wheel thrust.

while they are at it, usually get my 4wheels re-balanced for 40 bucks.

I'm just not satisfied with their Kendall synthetic oil, so bucky's do it for 10bucks when I BOO.

Perhaps Puerto rico P- dealer has the highest profit margin in the world.

• Admin
Coolant flush? Porsche does not recommend that unless the system has been contaminated.

Hi Loren. Really? I was planning to this on my 2006 987S this summer as preventive maintenance. What should I do?

See the Porsche Maintenance Checklist (in the Maintenance Checklist section) - no flush is needed during any normal maintenance. 986 and 996 were the same.

• Moderators

Is that a misprint, or did you really mean $600 to replace the air and cabin filter? While the parts are overpriced to start with, (the Porsche Cabin filter is about $65, and the air is $35), they only take about 30 minutes to replace BOTH of them (even for a Boxster). You paid at least $500 (3-4 hours of labor) to do a simple half hour DIY job.

My 2006 987 just turned out 15k miles, so It's time to visit the Porsche dealership. I made the appointment. The service advisor told me that the following needs to be done:

1-15k maintenance @$330.00.

2-Brake fluid Coolant flush @$265.00

3-Air & AC filter replacement @$600.00

4-Wheel balance & Front end alignment @$205.00

Total is $1,400.00

My mechanics knowledge & skills are above average & don't mind doing it. Don't mind dealer performing#1 & brake fluid flush 'cause don't like dealing with brake fluid/ bleeding. Is it OK for me to perform coolant flush & item#3 & have #4 done by my tires/alignment guy? Will it void warranty?

Thanks

#1 Expensive but reasonable

#2 Why?

#3 No way!!!!

#4 Unless there is a specific reason like uneven tire wear or a pull to one side there is no reason to do this. Also a front end alignment is worthless. Only get a 4 wheel alignment ever.

I am unimpressed with any service advisor who cannot give me reasons for his recommendations. 15K miles and 2 years old does not require all these items.

Edited by renzop

Thanks to all of you that had given me words of wisdom.

This is what I'm going to do:

1- Buy and replace air & cabin filter myself. This coming saturday. (I have a reason to stay home). So when when I take the car back to dealer(next friday), they can't say is needed and if they do? we'll see.... and I'll let you all know.

2- Have dealer perform regular maintenance=$330.00 and just the brake fluid because it is listed on the additional maintenance every 2 yrs, even though I still think is way to much. This way dealer have records of maintenenance and warranty doesn't get voided.

3- Have wheel alignmet done from the guy I allways trusted.

4- Forget about coolant flush & wheel balancing for now.

And there still are some creeps that say that a BOXSTER is a poor man's Porsche..........JA JA JA

Like I tell everyone IS NOT OWNING ONE, IS HAVING THE PLEASURE TO DRIVE ONE.

Gracias from Puerto Rico

• Moderators

I reread your post, and did realize that your car only had 15K miles on it. With that keep in mind:

1. The 15K maintenance is essentially an Oil change. 9 qts of Mobil 1 @ $6/qt, plus a filter @$15 is a easy DIY. I would not pay more than $150 for this procedure. The 15K checklist is here on this board.

2. You warranty cannot be voided if you do your own work, just keep your own records.

3. The cabin filter is a 15K item, but the engine air filter is a 30K item.

4. Brake fluid flush is a 2 year item.

5. Your dealer should not charge more than $300 for the 15K oil change AND the brake fluid flush.

6. If you have not hit anything or potholes, or don't have strange tire wear, then forget the wheel alignment.

7. Remember, these cars are no different from Toyota Corollas when it comes to routine maintenance. With that said, they are also just as easy to maintain.