Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Gas shooting back out during fill-ups

Hey everyone,

So I had about a quarter tank of gas in my car (2000 996 cab) and went to fill-up a couple days ago and something very strange happened. I started to fill the tank and after a couple seconds the gas literally "shot" back (actually came back in the air and hit the gas pump). I figued I had just depressed the handle to much and tried it again - this time only squeezing the handle about half way. After a couple seconds it did it again. So after about 5 minutes of trying to slowly "drip" some gas in, I had to get going. I chalked it up to a bad pump and I figured i'd refill somewhere else.

Well, I went to refuel this morning (at a different gas station) and it happened again. This time my tank was almost empty. I was able to get a few gallons in after about 15 minutes of "dripping" it into the tank.

Anyone have any idea what this is about. I've had the car over 18 months and this is the first time this has happened. Thanks!

post-16496-1234966185.jpg

Search is your friend. This is a known (somewhat common) issue on '01 and older 996 and Boxsters as well. I don't recall what the fix was, but it doesn't go away, something to do with a check valve I think?? Search here or Rennlist..

Hey everyone,

So I had about a quarter tank of gas in my car (2000 996 cab) and went to fill-up a couple days ago and something very strange happened. I started to fill the tank and after a couple seconds the gas literally "shot" back (actually came back in the air and hit the gas pump). I figued I had just depressed the handle to much and tried it again - this time only squeezing the handle about half way. After a couple seconds it did it again. So after about 5 minutes of trying to slowly "drip" some gas in, I had to get going. I chalked it up to a bad pump and I figured i'd refill somewhere else.

Well, I went to refuel this morning (at a different gas station) and it happened again. This time my tank was almost empty. I was able to get a few gallons in after about 15 minutes of "dripping" it into the tank.

Anyone have any idea what this is about. I've had the car over 18 months and this is the first time this has happened. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply -

I did perform a search and noticed a couple different forum threads. Some mentioned it was the shape of the tank or the way you hold the nozzle while filling up (I think one mentioned a "valve" issue, but it wasn't too specific). When it didn't work again this morning, I decided not to mess with it and I just called AAA to come take it to the dealership.

I'll update the post with the fix and what the cost was after I get it back. I think you're right though, the way its acting its probably some type of valve that catching/sticking/broken.

Also, just a note...anyone with a used porchse should DEFINTELY get an AAA membership. Its worth every penny.

I also have a 00 Cab and have not seen this problem (yet). Well, I just have the car for about 3 months and filled up the gas tank about five times. Anyway, I would appreciated if you post the cause and repair cost of your gas tank issue. I don't get your suggestion of getting the AAA if owning a Porsche. This sounds like Porsche is a unreliable car and also sounds like an old expression FORD (found on road dead). Can you give us more specific rational of your suggestion?

Thanks.

Nghia

Well it turned out to be a very simple fix...blown fuse (if you can belive it!)...the dealership charged me $130 for a diagnosis fee - which was ridiculous...so if anyone has a similar problem, go to the fuse box first...I assumed it was a mechanical defect, not electrical...but apparently there is an electronic valve that is controlled by the opening/closing of the fuel filler door...the fuse blew and the valve was stuck in the closed position causing the fuel to shoot back out during refueling...

As far as AAA goes - I have always had a memebership (no matter what car I've had)...it seems to come in handy more often than not...I'll be honest I've had more problems with this car than others i've previously owned (boxster, 3series bmw, lexus GS)...I've had it for about 18 months now and i've replaced the water pump, the hydraulic cylindars on the convertible top, new brakes and new tires...all in all, i've spent about 4k on repairs and maintenance (which sucks!)...but I do have to say this - i've never had more fun driving and never gotten more compliments than i do with this car...its the price you pay for driving a 911 I suppose...

• Admin
Well it turned out to be a very simple fix...blown fuse (if you can belive it!)...the dealership charged me $130 for a diagnosis fee - which was ridiculous...so if anyone has a similar problem, go to the fuse box first...I assumed it was a mechanical defect, not electrical...but apparently there is an electronic valve that is controlled by the opening/closing of the fuel filler door...the fuse blew and the valve was stuck in the closed position causing the fuel to shoot back out during refueling...

As far as AAA goes - I have always had a memebership (no matter what car I've had)...it seems to come in handy more often than not...I'll be honest I've had more problems with this car than others i've previously owned (boxster, 3series bmw, lexus GS)...I've had it for about 18 months now and i've replaced the water pump, the hydraulic cylindars on the convertible top, new brakes and new tires...all in all, i've spent about 4k on repairs and maintenance (which sucks!)...but I do have to say this - i've never had more fun driving and never gotten more compliments than i do with this car...its the price you pay for driving a 911 I suppose...

If you would have done a search here (as perryinva suggested) you would have seen that a blown fuse is the most common cause of this.

Sorry, you had to learn the hard way - a friendlier dealer/OPC might have done it for free.

Thanks for the tip, Orlandoguy. I'll check this out on my car.

Loren, I'm pretty handy with search features usually, but I've had this problem, and searched for it, and didn't find anything. I think I searched on 'fuel overflow' and 'fuel filler overflow', but couldn't find any relevant posts.

-James.

Well it turned out to be a very simple fix...blown fuse (if you can belive it!)...the dealership charged me $130 for a diagnosis fee - which was ridiculous...

A $130 is a lot of money...but remember, most Porsche shop fees exceed $200/hour. Can't expect them to work for free. Glad you are fixed and renjoying your car. :)