Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cold air intake

hey there boxster lovers.............i am wanting to put a cold air intake on my 1998 boxster fro bit more oooomph and sound i was looking at the fabspeed model from pelicanparts.....@$379.00....what opinions are there on this brand and or is there better models out there and if anyone has installed one how happy are they now and is it worth the excercise....

cheers frankie

The EVO is pretty decent and has a decent shroud so that only outside air is taken in. The last thing

you want to do is get one that doesn't properly block taking air in from the engine compartment. It will come with a metal tube that the MAF goes into and

a plug to remove the intake muffler, which will add to the sound. I've not had any MAF fouling either.

Chris

Edited by dragonwind

I've also had the Evo Hi-Flo for the last three years, without issue. I doubt it adds little if any HP, but the difference in sound is worth every penny.

If you purchase one with the oiled filter, be very careful not to over oil; this is the main source of MAF problems and complaints. I always wrap mine in newspaper after oiling to soak up any excess and have never had a problem.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
In my experience, cold air filters are a waste of money, you won't get any performance gain, in fact you may lose some low end torque. You're better off with the stock intake.

I disagree... If you replace the factory intake with the EVO, it is true you probably won't expect any performance gains, and that is because the ECU is still mapped to a factory setting. However, if the ECU is re-programmed to accept the tune (preferably with a combo Intake / Exhaust package). You can expect dyno'd performance gains between 8 - 25 HP depending on the model, and modifications done to the vehicle.

• Admin
In my experience, cold air filters are a waste of money, you won't get any performance gain, in fact you may lose some low end torque. You're better off with the stock intake.

I disagree... If you replace the factory intake with the EVO, it is true you probably won't expect any performance gains, and that is because the ECU is still mapped to a factory setting. However, if the ECU is re-programmed to accept the tune (preferably with a combo Intake / Exhaust package). You can expect dyno'd performance gains between 8 - 25 HP depending on the model, and modifications done to the vehicle.

Sorry, I can't agree with that statement. 25HP - not without exhaust changes too (and even then a stretch).

Evolution claims 12hp on a 2002 986 S but after installing several I'd say that's not realistic. But the sound is AWESOME! The stock Boxster is already considerably louder than the 996 but the EVO intake makes them scream like a banshee. Even without any gains at all for me personally the sound is worth the money and a few hours of your time. I would suggest that you hear one before you buy it as I'm sure some folks probably think the noise is obnoxious.

Music to my ears...everyone that hears/rides in my car wants to know my setup. I took it out this past weekend to Road America for a few tune up laps before driving my track 911.

The sounds were awesome...

Sorry, I can't agree with that statement. 25HP - not without exhaust changes too (and even then a stretch).

Yea, I was meaning that 25HP is probably more geared towards an INTAKE + Full exhaust (not just a muffler) but Headers, high-flow cats, lighter exhaust etc. Still though.... you'd have to have your ECU re-programmed just to take advantage of it all. I don't think you'd be gaining a lot unless you tuned the ECU.

• Admin

Yea, I was meaning that 25HP is probably more geared towards an INTAKE + Full exhaust (not just a muffler) but Headers, high-flow cats, lighter exhaust etc. Still though.... you'd have to have your ECU re-programmed just to take advantage of it all. I don't think you'd be gaining a lot unless you tuned the ECU.

And.... you may actually lose torque in the mid-range.

Even with a dyno you need to mix and match to gain power and not lose torque.

And.... you may actually lose torque in the mid-range.

Even with a dyno you need to mix and match to gain power and not lose torque.

Agreed... very true. Ahh the advantages and disadvantages of the age old air / exhaust modifications....