Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

i was just at my local dealer to get a part, and i was SHOCKED to see the price of the 997s there

a c4s, list 101k going for 86k

a c2s, list 96k going for 83 k

others were similarily priced.

is this a local, dealer specific phenomenon, or is more generalized.

has anyone been to a dealer in the past 2 days to see car prices?

roy

MY 2008 or MY 2009?

aloha

steve

i was just at my local dealer to get a part, and i was SHOCKED to see the price of the 997s there

a c4s, list 101k going for 86k

a c2s, list 96k going for 83 k

others were similarily priced.

is this a local, dealer specific phenomenon, or is more generalized.

has anyone been to a dealer in the past 2 days to see car prices?

roy

Doesn't surprise me at all. When I bought my 2000 996 C4 Cab in the summer of 2000 cars were selling for list or more and werre hard to find. My local dealer had sold out thier C4 Cab allocations for 18 months. Then the tech market crashed and six months later you could get any car you wanted, most of the ordered cars were now sitting on lots and prices were 15-20% off list. Just a few months ago I saw people talking about whether they should accept 5% off and I said wait for a few months and the deals will be incredible, now you are seeing it. Our local dealer has a plethora of 2008 and 2009 cars just sitting on the lot. That costs them alot of juice. And Porsche has alot more in the pipeline. They only started reducing production earlier this year, way to late for the drop in demand. If you have the ability now if a great time to buy!!

Edited by Dharn55

Just last week, Porsche AH was looking to buy VW AG. Today I read that the deal was off the table, and that Porsche might be looking to SELL to VW! Go figure. Who knows; bargain prices and rebates might be next. Keep scouting those dealers. Cheers.

Just last week, Porsche AH was looking to buy VW AG. Today I read that the deal was off the table, and that Porsche might be looking to SELL to VW! Go figure. Who knows; bargain prices and rebates might be next. Keep scouting those dealers. Cheers.

Not only the deal is off... but it seems Porsche is experiencing big time financial problems and I heard their R&D is taking a big hit because of budget cutting. There were articles that even claim Porsche was insolvent for several days during March.

I also feel sorry for Wiedeking... A few months ago it seemed like he was a CEO that did everything right... unfortunately now it seems he was a CEO that did everything wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up my 09 targa 4. The real "deal" was minimally advertised, but was very low interest on porsche leases. I only found out about it when I went in to buy a bulb for my 03 carrera 4. Unfortunately, the deal was from jan- jun 1. I came under the wire, but I can't believe the dealers didn't contact customers to make them aware of it. Mercedes touts its specials all the time. As far as price goes, 08's are more discounted than 09's, if you were getting a stick it wouldn't matter, but obviously no PDK, or bluetooth (a Parrot in a 100000 dollar car is kind of chintzy- my son has one in his impreza).

I just picked up my 09 targa 4. The real "deal" was minimally advertised, but was very low interest on porsche leases. I only found out about it when I went in to buy a bulb for my 03 carrera 4. Unfortunately, the deal was from jan- jun 1. I came under the wire, but I can't believe the dealers didn't contact customers to make them aware of it. Mercedes touts its specials all the time. As far as price goes, 08's are more discounted than 09's, if you were getting a stick it wouldn't matter, but obviously no PDK, or bluetooth (a Parrot in a 100000 dollar car is kind of chintzy- my son has one in his impreza).

apmarks:

The behavior of Porsche dealers of late is akin to "whistling past the graveyard". Some of the dealers are pretending that it's business as usual, there is no negative impact on them from the "wild rumours" about the economy.

Advertising the deals might put a damper on their ludicrous pretense.

Regards, Maurice.

Don't even get me started about dealers. My local "Stealer" is filled with the most vile humans I have met. Even the cashier is a reptile with an attitude. I would never ever ever give them any business let alone buy a car from them. "Ludicrous pretense" sums it up nicely.

I have been in Ferrari dealerships that have treated me much nicer (Even though I made it apparent I had no intention of buying.)

Hey there... new to the boards here and all, but just having picked up a 997.2 C2S 2 weeks ago (with a 97k+ sticker) for $84k, I would guess those numbers are in line. There's still inventory to move and from what I understand, an order today may result in a 2010 MY delivery, so yeah, time to clear it out....

Also, I did an extensive inventory search and what is left that is decently optioned is dwindling, unless you want a PDK. Plenty of those hanging around (if that's your bag...)

Edited by Alvy

Don't even get me started about dealers. My local "Stealer" is filled with the most vile humans I have met. Even the cashier is a reptile with an attitude. I would never ever ever give them any business let alone buy a car from them. "Ludicrous pretense" sums it up nicely.

I have been in Ferrari dealerships that have treated me much nicer (Even though I made it apparent I had no intention of buying.)

That's a bummer. The guys at Hennessy here in ATL were just great - super nice, very helpful, and patient. I really enjoyed buying this car there and the service guys I met when I picked it up were just as helpful - showed me around the shop, answered my geeky questions with enthusiasm; I was kind of knocked over really. Their Lexus dealership is the same way (except I believe they think Lexus people don't want to see cars up in the air in the shop :D, so they don't do that bit. ). We've bought two Lexus there - both with very competitive pricing and with excellent service over the past several years. I hate to hear it when people drop that much coin on a car and don't get treated at least as well as when I buy a single pair of socks at Nordstrom. Hennessy treats us like...well, like they'd like to sell us some more cars down the road. And likely they will.

Steve,

Glad to hear that. I know that there must be some good ones out there. I'm glad to hear you had such a good experience. Congrats on the new car! I know you will enjoy it.

Doesn't suprise me that the folks in Atlanta are a bit more friendly than in L.A. lol!

:drive:

Edited by phillipj

That's a bummer. The guys at Hennessy here in ATL were just great - super nice, very helpful, and patient. I really enjoyed buying this car there and the service guys I met when I picked it up were just as helpful - showed me around the shop, answered my geeky questions with enthusiasm; I was kind of knocked over really. Their Lexus dealership is the same way (except I believe they think Lexus people don't want to see cars up in the air in the shop :D, so they don't do that bit. ). We've bought two Lexus there - both with very competitive pricing and with excellent service over the past several years. I hate to hear it when people drop that much coin on a car and don't get treated at least as well as when I buy a single pair of socks at Nordstrom. Hennessy treats us like...well, like they'd like to sell us some more cars down the road. And likely they will.

In the SF Bay Area I feel the same re Fletcher Jones (Porsche of Fremont) - a first class Porsche dealership. I cannot say the same about other Bay Area dealers.

Hey there... new to the boards here and all, but just having picked up a 997.2 C2S 2 weeks ago (with a 97k+ sticker) for $84k, I would guess those numbers are in line. There's still inventory to move and from what I understand, an order today may result in a 2010 MY delivery, so yeah, time to clear it out....

Also, I did an extensive inventory search and what is left that is decently optioned is dwindling, unless you want a PDK. Plenty of those hanging around (if that's your bag...)

Aly, congrats on your new car! While I'd say you got a good deal....13.4% off MSRP....I would not consider this a great deal. Better deals are to be had, but like you said cars with decent options will dwindle down.

Yes, I searched 9 states of inventory just to find the options I wanted - still had to sacrifice auto-dim mirrors. Depending on taste, and budget, there's some nice cars there. Good to know what options cannot be added after the fact (like XM).

Aly, congrats on your new car! While I'd say you got a good deal....13.4% off MSRP....I would not consider this a great deal. Better deals are to be had, but like you said cars with decent options will dwindle down.

Yeah, It was a good deal; I'd classify it as "fair" in the context of the market. I wouldn't describe it as "great", but I'm happy with it considering it was optioned almost exactly to a "T" what I would have ordered on a new build B)

Only thing I was on the fence about was the full leather option. I was all for it until my wife saw it in person. She's got a much better "eye" for what hold up better over time (style wise). She thought it was all a bit garish and swayed me against it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My buddy and I both both walked into the dealership a couple weeks ago and each picked up an 08 C4S coupe - both were nicely optioned. Stickers were ~110k -> 85,500 and 105K -> 82,000 Sat radio was added w/o charge to both vehicles plus free maintenance for 3 years, and of course the 1.9% financing for 60mos. Looks like lots of awesome deals out there to be found... wonder what the 09s would have gone for - didn't even look.

There are some very attractive deals - you must search the inventory in a number of states to get features that you want - difficult even then. As for dealerships, I have purchased over 5 Porsches during the past 30 years and have observed a steady decline in customer service and dedication to the marque. There was a time when you could visit a dealership and talk with service staff or salesmen about a shared passion for the cars and expect special treatment and service. After all, if we wanted to just buy transportation, there are lots of cheaper alternatives. Recently, I have stopped giving my service business to one such dealership - Princeton Porsche. My advice to those looking for a dealer in NJ or Pennsylvania - stay away from Princeton Porsche. They have forgotten the importance of quality customer service.