Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Bugs buzzing around me in Fords and Subarus and Pontiacs

Top cars that are annoyance to Porsche Drivers on the road  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have noticed that the Porsche brings out the best in me, I think it is a great car. There are however many drivers of some specific cars, Mustang, corvette, Subaru and Mercs that get very angry, and always want to race or pull up and rev their engin while I'm trying to cruiz in my Porsche. Please take the Poll and if you have any good stories go for it!

Cheers.

Brian

Edited by CellN12345

I always get the classic "engine rev" as they pass by on the other side of a street or light etc. Even little honda civics with their coffee can mufflers and fixed aircraft wings. So funny.

This doesn't happen to me frequently, however when it does, it is typically a Honda with a fart-can muffler.

Interestingly, I had a old Jeep Grand Cherokee pull up next to me while driving on the interstate at highway speed recently. He revved his engine and then quickly accelerated away. I'm not sure what that was about...

I was returning from a weekend on Sunny Cape Cod when a guy in a VW pickup (really) pulls up beside me. It sounded like it had a blower on it. I am doing 75 or so, he pulls up and nails it hard and takes off. He slows down and lets me catch up when he does it again, a loud bang, clouds of white smoke start billowing from the underside and exhaust of the truck. He pulls over and I just drove on. It is funny how these kids and young adults all want to take on the P-car. I don't generally take on anyone, especially a newer vette or mustang because of the obvious power advantage they have on the open highway, but if the conditions are right and traffic very light, it is fun going by at 135.

I don't generally take on anyone, especially a newer vette or mustang because of the obvious power advantage they have on the open highway, but if the conditions are right and traffic very light, it is fun going by at 135.

+1 - I had a turbo eclipse back in the day(1990) and man it had amazing pulling power for a cheapo car. But the most fun i've had in my sports cars is downshifting to 5th gear on the highway and riding it out to 6-7 rpms and sling shooting into 6th! Love the top end power of the 911s!

All these cars eyed me yesterday. :lol: I live near Woodward Ave in MI, where, every summer around this time, all kinds of cars come out, old and new. Last night with my wife, after picking up dinner, with our two puppies on her lap, two mustangs, a jeep, a corvette, an old fart in his Mercedes, a number of Honda's, and Subaru's came by me, separate times, and revved their engines to try out the P-car. We must have had a full moon. Funny part is that I was timing the lights so I ended up beating them all (a little luck with traffic) and didn't even have to race. :) It's all the Porsche.

Back in the day when I had my 66 Mustang, a black 911 cut me off on the freeway. I was pretty proud of the engine work I'd done on that car, so I said to myself, F U Porsche, and I punched it to go around him and cut him off. Instead, there was a loud clanging from my motor and smoke started pouring out of my exhaust. I limped to the side of the road. I had a valve break and imbed itself into the top of one of my pistons. Had to do a complete rebuild.

Learned my lesson not to be a hotrod douchebag.

Now in my 996, it's mostly really beat up little Hondas or Chevy Cavaliers that always pull up at lights and start revving their motors, but if I'm out on the freeway it's Mercedes, Nissans or souped up Mustangs/Camaros that all try to zip by me and pull in front of me.

For me here in Montana the major problem is guys in big, lifted pickups. Generally speaking the bigger the truck the bigger young clown driving it.

Recently one of these guys tried to race my boss in his M3, my boss played with him until they got to the round-about where the M3 went through like a hot knife in butter and the truck ended up on the binders and into the flowers of the traffic circle. I would love to have seen that!

Edited by TKE878

Its funny how some guys want to drag race all the time just because I have a 911. The 911 isn't the best drag car but its because it is better suited for the race track. I really need to get the short shift kit because the throw between 1st and second is so large I lose alot of time. Most of the cars that try to race me are Nissans, BMW's. The guys with fast cars usually dont want to race everyone they see. I have had some runs with Honda S2000's and M3's on the highway. I raced with a S2000 and let me tell you that thing is fast. I think the guy had it modded. I beat him but barely. I usually make a deal with myself that I will only race a M3, Vette or something exotic. Other than that it is a waste of time. I see the ****box rice burners and laugh at them. While my 996 is quick there will always be a car that can beat it in a straight line. In response to weaving in and out of heavy traffic the car dominates most everything out there.......but I don't feel like getting killed. I am not a dumb 18 year old looking to ***** off people.

Beau

I have noticed that the Porsche brings out the best in me, I think it is a great car. There are however many drivers of some specific cars, Mustang, corvette, Subaru and Mercs that get very angry, and always want to race or pull up and rev their engin while I'm trying to cruiz in my Porsche. Please take the Poll and if you have any good stories go for it!

Cheers.

Brian

Reading these comments, I guess the thing that comes to my mind is that it isn't worth it to race on the street. No matter what the circumstances. If you want to race - go to the track.

I feel no desire whatsoever to risk my driver's license, or ever worse - my life, to prove that I can beat a heavily modded Honda Civic. It simply isn't worth the risk. I just smile at them and keep on going about my business. I think that pisses them off even more than racing them...

Here it is Mustangs, Benz's (with female drivers) WRX Subaru's and of course BMW's and all sorts of Japanese clunkers with the coffee can exhaust and Primer grey body kits. Corvette guys are pretty cool and they know they are much faster than me anyway.

I stay clear of everyone. I crashed my last P car at speed and I'm lucky to be alive. No more 130MPH on the street...

One thing I do like to do is make the idiot think you want to race.

At the stoplight rev your engine and when the light turns green.. He goes like an idiot and you don't :D

Then you get to watch him make a complete freakin fool of himself :jump:

I will go fast on some windy bits but only if I'm the only car around.

Biggest insult was when a guy in a Prius wanted to race... :(

Edited by phillipj

I don't get any hassles. Toronto is a big city, and my car is pretty plain to look at compared to a lot of 911s. But where I do get a regular pain in the butt? On expressways. My exhaust is a bit louder than stock, and passing someone on a multilane, even gradually and with no aggression at all, tends to make them unconsciously speed up when they hear it.

Took me forever to figure this out.

corvette isn't much faster, not even faster than a Boxster S.

I thought U saw this thread phillipj,,,

Here it is Mustangs, Benz's (with female drivers) WRX Subaru's and of course BMW's and all sorts of Japanese clunkers with the coffee can exhaust and Primer grey body kits. Corvette guys are pretty cool and they know they are much faster than me anyway.

I stay clear of everyone. I crashed my last P car at speed and I'm lucky to be alive. No more 130MPH on the street...

One thing I do like to do is make the idiot think you want to race.

At the stoplight rev your engine and when the light turns green.. He goes like an idiot and you don't :D

Then you get to watch him make a complete freakin fool of himself :jump:

I will go fast on some windy bits but only if I'm the only car around.

Biggest insult was when a guy in a Prius wanted to race... :(

Let's just say there are some serious Corvettes around here. I see one all the time that shakes the ground lol! I don't want to antagonize these types. They take it wayyyyy too seriously.

Edited by phillipj

The only person who wanted to race me was on a Suzuki. He pulled up next to me then passed me in a wheelie on the freeway.

My problem is the opposite, the gropes in their SUVs, especially Range Rovers, who dwadle along oblivious to the cars they are holding up. Same with Volvos. It seems that most Priuses pass me on the freeway (85+).

Edited by cyclocross

I had a couple of guys try to race me in a 1990'ish ford taurus..... I have no idea what they were thinking. I've had everything from Corvettes to Honda's to Ferraris. Lost count quite frankly.

It's the old clunkers that are the best though..

Simon

Why no choice for BMW's?? They are the worst around here, they can't even park straight without taking up two or more spaces and never seem to use their indicators. But on the other side of the coin, I'm sure I've upset a few drivers over the years with something I've done and made them curse Porsche drivers.

Why no choice for BMW's?? They are the worst around here, they can't even park straight without taking up two or more spaces and never seem to use their indicators. But on the other side of the coin, I'm sure I've upset a few drivers over the years with something I've done and made them curse Porsche drivers.

I actually recieved two emails from people asking why I did not include BMWs. The one gentleman, Paul said "did you not include BMWs because at least those drivers have enough sense to not compare themselves to Porsches?" I don't know that I would go as far as his comments but I just don't think they cause many annoyances..I think the Bimmer driver might be the closest in mindset to the 911 driver.. just my opnion..

Boy racers in Subaru WRX's are probably the most annoying around here.

It's almost guaranteed if one of these guys pulls up to me he's spooling the turbo and doing his best Ricer Racer imitation.

I find it quite annoying actually. As if I'm going to risk an exhibition of speed ticket to thump my chest at some guy I'll never see again. LOL

Just go. Go away...

For me here in Montana the major problem is guys in big, lifted pickups. Generally speaking the bigger the truck the bigger young clown driving it.

same in southern california. large chevy's and top-end dodges almost always want to put the p-car down. No matter who's ready to race, i take the opposie approach and pull away from the light a lot more slowly than i would normally do. Let the foolish drivers burn their gas and tires, not me.

IMHO, the worst are the guys in the big trucks raised way high off the suspensions, using huge tires, and not bothering with mud flaps. If one of these guys gets in front of me I'll drop way back to avoid dealing with another cracked windshield. I'm wondering why it is that people in these enormous trucks always seem to have something to prove, and, pet peeve time now, never, ever, get a ticket for not having the legally required mud flaps to cover those huge tires. I think most, if not all of us, drive P-cars because we enjoy driving them and really don't want to unintentionally upset other people. Who needs the road rage? Who cares about some stupid kid in an obnoxiously loud Honda anyway? There was a long story that brought out this rant, but it's just not worth repeating. And sure, sometimes, all by themselves, the Porsche afterburners kick in. All by themselves, right?

Cheers.

Brian

Number one would be the Subaru Brothers - always trying to prove them selves

Just take it with a grain of salt and do your own thing !!!

Regards

Sigfus