Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tire Selection

I am looking at a new set of tires and I would like to get some feedback on what is out there. I am looking at 3 brands (2 per Custom Alignments suggestions). Bridgestone, Continental and my Pirelli.

Bridgestone

Potenza S-03 Pole Position

Potenza S-02 A

continental

ContiSportContact 2

Pirelli

PZero Rosso Asimmetrico

Thanks

I am looking at a new set of tires and I would like to get some feedback on what is out there. I am looking at 3 brands (2 per Custom Alignments suggestions). Bridgestone, Continental and my Pirelli.

Bridgestone

Potenza S-02 A

continental

ContiSportContact 2

Pirelli

PZero Rosso Asimmetrico

Thanks

I am no tire expert but have heard some various opinions on tires for the Boxster. The S-02 and S-03's are good tires but they are expensive and understandably don't wear so well. The Contis and Pirellis are mediocre. The one tire that I have heard is a surprising bang for the buck tire is the Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's. They are very reasonably priced and aside from having to be kept well inflated for best performance, are a great tire. I think my next set will be these. I certainly don't want to pay $250 for one rear S-03.

Edited by Kevin369

You can read the reviews on tirerack. These are quite informative and reputable.

You can't go wrong with any of the tires you suggest, they are all good tires. It comes down to a personal preference.

My $0.02:

- Bridgestone SO3 gets great reviews for use on the track, but the mileage is low, making them double expensive.

- Kumho's are a 'good' bang for the buck, they don't last long, but they are quite affordable. Handling is very good.

- ContiSportContact2's are actually very good (summer) tires. For California they will do fine, but in cold weather they don't perform as well. Handling and treadwear is excellent (and yes the Conti1's were quite bad OEM's).

- Also look into the Michelin Pilot Sport Rib. It get's great reviews. This is also a long treadwear tire.

- I would stay away from the Pirelli's. Had them on a non-P car (with heavy camber), and they wear extremely fast. However, they were great performers.

For California street driving (inc. rain) I'd recommend the Conti2 or the Michelins. These are also more quiet and comfortable tires to ride on.

If you go on the track, get the Kumho's or the Bridgestones (more $$).

If you are in the east coast (think snow), these tires are not for you.

- Think about how you like driving the car - if you corner fast and often, spent the extra money for the S03 or the Pirelli's. You will get your money's worth. Expect to change them in about a year (I did). If your car is also your daily commuter, get the Conti2 or Michelins.

FWIW, your rear tires wear faster than the front.

As I said, my $0.02 - other people may have different input.

FYI:

- I have had the Pirelli P0's (on non-P)

- I currently have the Conti2 (17")

- Originally I hade the Michelin Pilot Sport MMX (16")

Bridgestone

Potenza S-02 A

continental

ContiSportContact 2

Pirelli

PZero Rosso Asimmetrico

Thanks

ContiSportContact 2

:drive: