Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hi Guys,

Since I got the 10,000km check up on my '09 Carrera S PDK wherein the dealership change my engine oil, my on-board computer keeps on indicating "check oil level". However the oil level is full. Have you guys experienced this?

Thanks and Godspeed!

Hi Guys,

Since I got the 10,000km check up on my '09 Carrera S PDK wherein the dealership change my engine oil, my on-board computer keeps on indicating "check oil level". However the oil level is full. Have you guys experienced this?

Thanks and Godspeed!

I have no experience with the '09s, but perhaps the oil is over-filled? I'd take it back to your dealership and ask them why. Let us know what you find out.

Mark

I did my first oil change on my own and filled it to almost full on the digital indicator but never got the "check oil level" warning. Perhaps the dealer over filled it by adding to much or not letting the oil drain completely. I used 7.5 qt but I let the oil drain for almost 2 hours before I filled it.

Vic

My first oil change performed by a dealer resulted in an overfill. I took it to a factory authorized private service shop and had some oil drained. I don't recall a check oil level warning but it sounds reasonable that you would get such a warning with a low or high oil level.

If the car has over 10K miles and they did not reset the diagnostics, that could also trigger the fault indication.

Good luck,

Ed

I can confirm that oil measurement system will alarm with "check oil level" message on overfill in a 997.2 car. Dealer was skeptical (as earlier cars have different logic), but after discussion they drained a bit, refilled, and confirmed this.

I suspect that your dealer (and mine) did not fully drain before replacing and simply added the full amount of oil based on capacity of system.

I can confirm that oil measurement system will alarm with "check oil level" message on overfill in a 997.2 car. Dealer was skeptical (as earlier cars have different logic), but after discussion they drained a bit, refilled, and confirmed this.

I suspect that your dealer (and mine) did not fully drain before replacing and simply added the full amount of oil based on capacity of system.

One more good reason for DIY oil changes :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While the oil capacities are nearly the same, less oil drains from the new DFI 911 engines during an oil change. Porsche states that about 7.5L of oil is changed during an oil change for the DFI engines. Earlier 997 and 996 cars on the other hand generally require about 8.5L of oil. This has caught some techs off guard and while at training I have heard stories of overfilling happening at dealerships.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late update guys. Anyway apparently the dealer over filled my car by about 3/4 of a liter.

While draining the oil, I was surprised to find out that the dfi engine didn't have a manual dip stick to check for oil level. I figured the dealer wasn't able to check oil level when they filled it up, considering the only way to check it is by using the on board computer which won't work until the engine is fully warmed up. Does the 997.1 engine have a dip stick? In my 996 GT3 mk1, the car is equipped with both.

• 1 month later...

Guys (& gals). I would be very very careful with checking the oil level. In my 2009 C2S I try to check the oil level frequently using the onboard computer. Yesterday, in the am drive, the oil level was at the topmost fill level (no overfill). On the afternoon ride back, I checked engine oil and the indicator showed half full. Oil level indicator seems very finicky to me. For now I'm not filling in any more oil to risk an overfill. Anyone else having a similar issue where oil level indicator shows wide ranges of fill level?

I recently had the oil changed at a dealer. When stone cold the instrument indicates over filled. The dealer says normal when cold. Like others, the level moves all over the place, well within limits, when warm.

Questions: Is it normal for the indicator to show over filled when engine is stone cold. What issues are raised in this condition?

My car is a 997.1 series.

I recently had the oil changed at a dealer. When stone cold the instrument indicates over filled. The dealer says normal when cold. Like others, the level moves all over the place, well within limits, when warm.

Questions: Is it normal for the indicator to show over filled when engine is stone cold. What issues are raised in this condition?

My car is a 997.1 series.

Check the oil level only before the first start up, or "stone cold". The oil level indicator will give inaccurate readings when warm, because the oil usually hasn't had enough time to drain fully from all the internal galleries and passages. It seems most dealers over fill the engine, but that's not a good thing; oil can get splashed up into the cylinders because of the boxer layout. I give my indie 9 qts only for an oil change, and I have him make sure all the old oil is drained fully. It's better to have the indicator read a quarter liter (250 mls) low; you can always add a little later; usually an additional 100 mls will do the trick. Your manual explains it very well.

Edited by 355bhp

My on-board computer (OBC) will only allow the oil level to be checked when the engine is warmed up . It will not allow the oil level to be checked when the engine in stone cold.

I also found that if the car is not sitting on level ground the computer may indicate the oil level is low. After repositioning to a level surface, the OBC may then indicate the oil is not low.