Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

MY10 PCM 2.1 NAV Update - $299

Loren

• Admin

I just got news that Porsche North America is going to be offering NAV updates for the following cars:

PCM 2.1 equipped vehicles

- MY05 – MY08 Sports Cars (9x7)

- MY05 – MY08 Cayenne

Availability: January/February 2010

Features:

- Updated database (database status is same information in MY10 vehicles)

- over 6 Million miles of roads covered

- up to 28% more POIs covered (almost 2 Million in total)

- almost 0.5Million restaurants included

- up to 11% more gas stations covered (>100,000 Gas stations)

post-1-1262994432_thumb.png

Part Numbers:

Sports Cars: 997.044.902.51

Cayenne: 955.044.903.61

Retail: $299.00

Dealers will be making little or no money on these as Porsche is doing this a "goodwill gesture" - because of all the complaints by dealers and customers about obtaining updates.

If you need one of these updates please consider Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost)

This is all the information I have right now - but there is also supposed to be a TSB published on this soon. If there is more info in that TSB I will publish that info here.

• Upvote 1

Wish they would do this for the older system. or at least let us download the maps so they would work.

Well, I doubt they will go back to PCM 1 or even PCM 2.0 as some of those are 10 years old now.

As an example of how helpful they are.

My car is just over 3 years old; the telephone module is no longer stocked, and no longer available. Porsche told me there is nothing they can do, I can’t have a phone in my car, and, if I fit an aftermarket system my warranty will be void.

Luckily I am a 911 Nut and not too bothered, but this is how they loose customers I am sure.

I just got news that Porsche North America is going to be offering NAV updates for the following cars:

- MY05 – MY08 Cayenne

Features:

Part Numbers:

Hi loren, any idea of the part number for the uk (england) think it may be the european version,

regards Tim

Dealers will be making little or no money on these as Porsche is doing this a "goodwill gesture" - because of all the complaints by dealers and customers about obtaining updates.

If you need one of these updates please consider Sunset Imports (Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost)

This is all the information I have right now - but there is also supposed to be a TSB published on this soon. If there is more info in that TSB I will publish that info here.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an 07' C 4S Cab w/ Nav and looking to get updated map data. Is there anythiogn special I have to do "update" the system or can I just remove old Map DVD & replace with new & go?

Thanks

If you have an 07 you should be OK. However the new Nav disc comes with same set of media update discs that came with the previous version so check out this link to be sure:

TSB Link

Edited by Nick_USA

Wish they would do this for the older system. or at least let us download the maps so they would work.

Well, I doubt they will go back to PCM 1 or even PCM 2.0 as some of those are 10 years old now.

As an example of how helpful they are.

My car is just over 3 years old; the telephone module is no longer stocked, and no longer available. Porsche told me there is nothing they can do, I can’t have a phone in my car, and, if I fit an aftermarket system my warranty will be void.

Luckily I am a 911 Nut and not too bothered, but this is how they loose customers I am sure.

I assume you already have PCM 2.1 ? You can retro fit the OEM equipment its a simple case of installing the telematics module and getting the unit coded on the PCM I bleeive, parts should be available from a breaker. The other option is to buy a dension gateway with bluetooth adapter. The dension also gives added bonus of allowing MP3 files to be played via I pod or USB through the pcm. Rather than having a separate sim in the PCM , the dension synchs with your existing phone via bluetooth and allows all the functionality of the OEM PCM system to be retained. ie you can send and read texts, scroll through telephone numbers and contacts etc. The dension is literally plug and play so if a warranty issue arises its simple enough to revert back to standard.

I am surprised that the telematics module is no longer available, I was under the impression there was a legal obligation to have parts available for at least 5 years ?

Back on topic, there is a European map update (includes the Uk) available for the PCM 2.1 it is listed as August 2009.

Back on topic, there is a European map update (includes the Uk) available for the PCM 2.1 it is listed as August 2009.

I have it .... there are changes I am sure as the map files etc have changed in size but I have yet to notice any significant differences.

I just picked up my first Porsche, an '06 Carrera 4 with 20,000 miles on it. I had the dealer install the Nav system and it came with the PCM 2.1 North America DVD dated 10-2006. Is there a way to get the newest DVD without paying additional. Seems a little strange to pay so much for the Nav and get a 4 year old version of the maps.

Sandy

• Admin

- MY05 – MY08 Cayenne

Features:

Part Numbers:

Update:

I have seen but do not yet have a copy of the TSBs for each model upgrade. (I will post these in the Contributing Members TSB section for viewing when I get my copies.)

The procedure requires a dealer connected PIWIS tester to validate the upgrade code and allow the programming - so you will need to have the dealer/OPC perform this upgrade.

• 1 month later...

Pushing this back to the top. I had the local dealer install the 2010 nav disks for my 06 C2S 2.1PCM today.

The cost was $275.08 for the disks and labor, less than list price of $299 (which I thought was gonna be for just the disks, plus labor). Gotta be the best OEM deal I've ever gotten...

Porsche is offering a 20% discount on parts thru the end of March. Go to the porsche website, search for your dealer and look for the discount coupon. You have to fill out a few lines and your done. The parts guy did it for me. He said it's good for OEM and Tequipment - and hardly anyone is using it (or probably knows about it...)

As for the maps, they are definitely updated. The cow pasture I usually drive on to access north Austin (AKA the 4-6 lane I45/130 toll road) has now magically appeared to the delight of the resident cows. I also saw gas station icons. No time to investigate further.

Yes, I know it's not a garman, tom-tom or even the nav on my iphone, but I like the updates and I'm definitely happy with the price.

I have a couple screen shots that I can not figure out how to post-- ( isn't working for me. So if you want to post them, let me know

bob (now in Austin)

I had the OEM Nav system installed in my 2006 C4 Cab in January. It came with the 2006 DVD. A couple of weeks later I learned the 2010 DCD had been released (By the way, it actually says 2009). I went back to the dealer, told him I thought he should update the software for free, he negotiated with Porsche NA and did the whole thing for free. Not a major surprise, but nice to know they did it. They did point out that technically, I purchased the Nav two weeks before the release of the new software so they didn't HAVE to do it. So I said, "thanks very much."

Sandy

So will the new discs make the maps look a little different or just add more POIs and some new roads. I rarely travel with my car and know the DC area pretty well, but (I know this sounds silly) the 06 maps look a little dated. Just curious.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

So the new map DVD for 2013 is about to come out (997.044.90351). The dealer wants $300 for the disk and $130.- for the re-flash, or whatever they do to make the new disk talk with the existing PCM 2.1 nav system.That is about as much as a good stand-alone Garmin Navigation system costs.So my question: how can I reduce that price? Can I update whatever firmware or re-flash is needed myself? Are there third-party providers from whom I can get the disk cheaper (Porsche, buys its map DVDs from Harman/Becker)?Thanks,JM

P.S.: No response to this inquiry on other forums. Map systems based on DVD drives seem to be hurtling towards obsolescence.

When they introduced the PCM2.1 MY2013 map for Europe, it was compatible with the Level C operating system software (firmware). If you have been running a 2006 map or later, it shouldn't need updating. Of course, it may be different for the US, but I somehow doubt it. The update disks included with the European map set I purchased were the same as supplied with the MY2008 and MY2010 map sets. I think the updates were introduced with the 2005 or 2006 maps.

• 3 years later...