Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mobil 1 5w40

I've seen more and more posts here and elsewhere regarding Mobil 1 is good, Mobil 1 is bad, use 5w40 instead of 0w40, etc. Most posts degenerate into opinion, speculation, ignorance or worse. So I looked on the Mobil 1 web site and found there are 2 Mobil 1 5w40 oils, one for diesel engines and another specifically formulated for Mercedes cars. Neither of these appear to be on Porsche's A40 approved oil list. So last night (Sunday) I asked Mobil which oil was suitable for use in Porsche cars:

I have several relatively new Porsches and have been using Mobil 1 0w40 in all of them. The Porsche technical service bulletin of A40 approved oils also lists Mobil 1 5w40 and shows worldwide availability. I've found Mobil 1 5w40 diesel oil and Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 for Mercedes cars. Are either of these approved for use in Porsche cars? I can't figure out which Mobil 1 5w40 Porsche has approved. Which should I be using? A lot of people are now recommending to use Castrol Syntec 5w40, or another synthetic 5w40, instead of the 0w40 weight oil, but I would rather use Mobil 1 if possible.

And this morning I actually got an answer back from them (their exact response, which indicates somebody answered and somebody else sent the answer back to me)

ExxonMobil wrote:

The Mobil1 0W40 motor oil is the suitable product.

--

Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.

If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

I hope this helps some decide whether or not Mobil 1 0w40 is suitable for (continued) use and reduces some of the less useful oil discussions. I'm neither advocating nor impugning the use of Mobil 1 or 0w40 oils, just reporting what Mobil responded to me.

• Moderators
I've seen more and more posts here and elsewhere regarding Mobil 1 is good, Mobil 1 is bad, use 5w40 instead of 0w40, etc. Most posts degenerate into opinion, speculation, ignorance or worse. So I looked on the Mobil 1 web site and found there are 2 Mobil 1 5w40 oils, one for diesel engines and another specifically formulated for Mercedes cars. Neither of these appear to be on Porsche's A40 approved oil list. So last night (Sunday) I asked Mobil which oil was suitable for use in Porsche cars:

I have several relatively new Porsches and have been using Mobil 1 0w40 in all of them. The Porsche technical service bulletin of A40 approved oils also lists Mobil 1 5w40 and shows worldwide availability. I've found Mobil 1 5w40 diesel oil and Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5W-40 for Mercedes cars. Are either of these approved for use in Porsche cars? I can't figure out which Mobil 1 5w40 Porsche has approved. Which should I be using? A lot of people are now recommending to use Castrol Syntec 5w40, or another synthetic 5w40, instead of the 0w40 weight oil, but I would rather use Mobil 1 if possible.

And this morning I actually got an answer back from them (their exact response, which indicates somebody answered and somebody else sent the answer back to me)

ExxonMobil wrote:

The Mobil1 0W40 motor oil is the suitable product.

--

Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.

If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

I hope this helps some decide whether or not Mobil 1 0w40 is suitable for (continued) use and reduces some of the less useful oil discussions. I'm neither advocating nor impugning the use of Mobil 1 or 0w40 oils, just reporting what Mobil responded to me.

"Becasue we told you so............." Now there is a sound argument with a lot of technical facts to back it up.............

I'll bet it makes you feel good to know that they spent so much time answering your question. haha. I think I'll just stick with Castrol 5w-40.

I was surprised and impressed I got an answer so quickly. The answer also made it clear Mobil's 5w40 oils are not their recommended product for Porsches

"Becasue we told you so............." Now there is a sound argument with a lot of technical facts to back it up.............

It was the Mobil consumer site and I asked a basically simple, non-technical product usage question. From their answer, it's clear none of the Mobil 1 5w40 products on Porsche's approved oil list are available in the US, even though they are listed as applicable world wide. The two Mobil 1 5w40 oils readily available today in the US here don't correspond to any of Porsche's approved oils

I never intended this to be a technical discussion on the relative merits of Mobil 1, or to discuss the best weight motor oil, or to give Loren cause to lock this topic. Just to let members here know what Mobil had to say about Mobil 1 5w40 suitability

I wouldn't use Mobil 1 0W40 in my lawn mower.

I wouldn't use Mobil 1 0w40 in a lawn mower either, or any other 2 cycle motor

Please don't turn this topic into a Mobil 1 bashing discussion! That was never my intent in posting. There are plenty of other Mobil 1 comes straight from hell topics

I wouldn't use Mobil 1 0W40 in my lawn mower.

I wouldn't use Mobil 1 0w40 in a lawn mower either, or any other 2 cycle motor

Please don't turn this topic into a Mobil 1 bashing discussion! That was never my intent in posting. There are plenty of other Mobil 1 comes straight from hell topics

But it's soooo easy and it's fun. :)

• Moderators
Just to let members here know what Mobil had to say about Mobil 1 5w40 suitability

Which turned out to be nothing useful or of value. There was a time when 0W-40 Mobil 1 (and their other grades) were world class products; unfortunately, they no longer are………………….regardless of what their customer service people say.

Edited by JFP in PA