Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

60k mile maintenance

Good morning everyone,

I just rolled over 60k miles and i am looking into getting my 60k mile major service done - I called over to my local porsche dealer and they quoted me $1200...that seems a little high to me for belts/filters/plugs - does that seem about right?...anyone know of any good local indy shops in the central florida area?

I usually like to get my service done at the dealership - but that just seems a bit pricey...

Thanks!

sorry - forgot to add its a 2000 911 carrera....

Good morning everyone,

I just rolled over 60k miles and i am looking into getting my 60k mile major service done - I called over to my local porsche dealer and they quoted me $1200...that seems a little high to me for belts/filters/plugs - does that seem about right?...anyone know of any good local indy shops in the central florida area?

I usually like to get my service done at the dealership - but that just seems a bit pricey...

Thanks!

I'd check the list of service items they provide for your $1200 against the checklist in the manual and look for any extraneous stuff that sticks out.

For instance, I once made the mistake of saying "45k service" to the advisor when dropping off my Passat wagon at the dealer. $530 later, I had purchased 6 sparkplugs at $16 apiece, a $20 bottle of fuel additive, and they probably even charged me for a whole tub of grease to lube my door straps. Caveat emptor. Now I make them price out every item in my maint checklist on the RO, or I do it myself if time allows.

$1200 doesn't sound out of range for this kind of service at the dealer, depending on their hourly rate. Doing the plugs alone is fairly labor-intensive. If you're set on dealer maintenance I'd negotiate a discount. Yes, you can haggle at the service desk, no, it does not make you look cheap, and no, you shouldn't be embarassed to do so.

An indy will charge less. Cheaper still are the DIYs on this site.

Good luck!

Mark

Good morning everyone,

Thanks!

This it what the dealer does. I did it myself and on top of that I replaced the three pulleys and the coil packs. It's a easy job.

Kristian

1) Diagnosis system: Read out fault memory

2) Polyrib belt: Check condition

3) Change the engine oil and oil filter

4) Replace the spark plugs

5) Vehicle underside and engine compartment: Visual inspection for leaks (oils and fluids) and abrasion (lines and hoses)

6) Underbody panels: visual inspection for completeness, installation and damage

7) Coolant hoses: Check condition;

8) Radiators and air inlets at front: Visual inspection for external contamination and blockage;

9) Coolant: Check the level and antifreeze protection

10) Air cleaner: Replace the filter element

11) Particle filter: Replace the filter element

12) Fuel system: Visual inspection for damage, routing and secure fit of line connections

13) Power steering: Check the fluid level and bellows

14) Parking brake: Checking the free play of the parking brake lever

15) Brake system: Visual inspection of the brake pads and brake discs for wear

16) Brake hoses and lines: Visual inspection for damage, routing and corrosion. Checking the brake fluid level

17) Clutch: Check the play and pedal end position

18) Throttle actuation: Check smooth operation, check the full throttle position with the Tester

19) Steering gear: Visually inspect the bellows for damage

20) Tie rod joints: Check the play and dust bellows

21) Axle joints: Check play, visual inspection of dust bellows for damage, check screw connections of running gear adjustment facility, front and rear, for secure fit

22) Drive shafts: Perform a visual inspection of the boots for leaks and damage

23) Exhaust system: Visual inspection for leaks and damage, check suspension

24) Tires and spare wheel (collapsible wheel): Check the condition and the tire pressure

25) Check the door locks, lid locks and safety hooks of the front lid to ensure that they are secure and functioning properly:

26) Check lid lock, front and rear; Check safety hook, front lid; Function test, check door lock; Check door and lid tightening torques

27) Seat belts: Check function and condition

28) Vehicle lighting: Check function; All headlights: Check adjustment; 29) Horn: Check operation.

30) Windscreen wiper/washer system, headlight washer: Check fluid level and nozzle settings, pay attention to antifreeze protection in the winter months.

31) Electrical equipment as well as warning and indicator lights: Check operation.

Test drive

Remote control, front seats, foot and parking brakes (also actuation travel), engine, clutch, steering, transmission, ParkAssist, automatic speed control, TC/PSM switch, heating, air-conditioning system and instruments: Check operation.

Oils, fluids: Visual inspection for leaks

Good morning everyone,

Thanks!

Give Don a call at Zotz Garage 407-678-6789, they do my work!

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning everyone,

Thanks!

Give Don a call at Zotz Garage 407-678-6789, they do my work!

I just called about the 60k tuneup, and they quoted $1175. I also agree thats fairly high for more of an inspection than a tune up.

You can do almost all of it yourself if you have a few tools and aren't totally mechanically retarded. Then if you don't want to deal with the plugs have an "indy" do that for you. Keep all your receipts and make a log of the work that was done for your service records and presto! 60k mile service done!clapping.gif

• 2 weeks later...

You can do almost all of it yourself if you have a few tools and aren't totally mechanically retarded. Then if you don't want to deal with the plugs have an "indy" do that for you. Keep all your receipts and make a log of the work that was done for your service records and presto! 60k mile service done!clapping.gif

I'm in Western PA and just got hybrid 30,000/45,000 on my 2000 966 C2 done for $872.21 by an Independent shop including inspection ($65), Parts($367.84 (Plugs (110.40), Belt(43.04), Fluids & Oil(76.80), Filters(135.20), MCI Service (2.40)), Labor ($380.00) and Taxes ($59.37).

• 1 month later...

With a very few tools and this site you can do virtually the entire 60K service yourself. Save yourself the $1,200 and gain some experience. I performed the service and then asked the local dealer to check for any trouble codes in the memory. They did that, checked the torque on the front drop links and took the car for a test drive and ran me to the house (in a Volvo) and picked me back up when the car was ready to be picked up. All for the whopping price of ... no charge.

Just finished helping a family member with their 60k service.. wait. i didn't help them i actually did it all but its all good.. nothing like helping someone out.. anyways i believe the parts for her car came in at $350 from suncoast. what i did was.. oil change, radiator flush, belt replaced, pollen and airfilter replaced, fuel filter replaced and lastly spark plugs replaced... took about 4.5 hours... save yourself some $$ and do it yourself.. the DIY section here is priceless...

I am thinking about changing my spark plugs. 2003 Boxster S with 31k miles. The maintenance schedule says 60,000 miles or at least every 4 years. Car runs great and I don't want to replace them if I don't have to.

I am assuming my spark plugs are the original plugs which would mean that they are almost 8 years old. I am wondering why they are suggesting to replace after 4 years regardless of mileage?

• Admin

Pulled one of the spark plugs last night. My engine does not have spark plug tubes. Does anyone know when they stopped using spark plug tubes? I have a 2003 Boxter S.

The Boxster engines M96/23 and M96/24 (MY2003 - on) no longer the plastic tubes.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes the insulators crack with age (same as the ignition coil packs).

I change mine every 4 or 5 years simply because I don't want to chasing an intermittent fault caused by one of these.

Loren,

I ordered the NGK Iridium spark plugs. They have a single ground terminal instead of 4 on the Beru plugs that I pulled. Is there any reason why the single ground will not work or will be bad for the car? Waiting for your reply before I install.

2003 Boxster S.

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I just finished my 60,000 mi service, but have a question about grease/lube points. Specifically, are there any on the 996? On other cars, you typically have points that need to be greased - driveshaft, suspension bushings etc. However, I have not read about any for the 996, am I missing something? Thanks.

• Admin

I just finished my 60,000 mi service, but have a question about grease/lube points. Specifically, are there any on the 996? On other cars, you typically have points that need to be greased - driveshaft, suspension bushings etc. However, I have not read about any for the 996, am I missing something? Thanks.

Nope, no grease points.

Light white grease on the clutch if it's squeaking or the doors - but not enough to come off on clothes or carpet..

Nope, no grease points.

Light white grease on the clutch if it's squeaking or the doors - but not enough to come off on clothes or carpet..

Thanks for the reply. My clutch does squeak a bit when I depress the pedal. I haven't looked at it yet, but I assume it gets greased at the pivot where it's attached?

• Admin

Nope, no grease points.

Thanks for the reply. My clutch does squeak a bit when I depress the pedal. I haven't looked at it yet, but I assume it gets greased at the pivot where it's attached?

Just looked at your profile and it says MY2004.

If that is correct no grease should be used (or needed). Perhaps just cleaning as the rods are coated.