Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cabriolet hydraulic cylinder

Hello, I just bought my first Porsche...waited 20 years but finally got one.

When I bought the car a few weeks ago the seller told me the hydraulic oil for the convertible top needed filling every 2 years.

Today, my mechanic showed me the cylinder on one side is leaking. I noticed it more so since he re filled the oil and cleaned the water drains and saw oil on the floor when I got home and parked the car

Any suggestions...or just just change both and move on?

Thanks!

The only repair that I'm aware of replacement. Get it sorted as the fluid is very hard on paint/rubber/plastics.

Thanks...I am finding out that anything Porsche will not come cheap...price to pay for such a great car I guess

Edited by Roberto

Just look up the DIY forms and do it yourself --- I did mine and had my cylinder rebuilt. Saved a lot ---thanks to this site.

If you need help --- there are numerous people who have done what you are looking into ...

Good luck and welcome.

Chuck -- Myrtle Beach, SC

Just look up the DIY forms and do it yourself --- I did mine and had my cylinder rebuilt. Saved a lot ---thanks to this site.

If you need help --- there are numerous people who have done what you are looking into ...

Good luck and welcome.

Thanks Chuck, I am maybe not as mechanically inclined as you are, but if someone out there does have the DIY, that would be great!

Thanks

• 6 months later...

I can't find any DIY forms pertaining to this, can someone point me in the right direction. I have a leaking hydraulic cylinder that I would like to replace on my 996.

Jeffrey, Santa Rosa Beach, FL ([email=nablotroxel@aol.com)

nablotroxel@aol.com)
name='Chuck996' timestamp='1266622688' post='168727]

Good luck and welcome.

I have replaced both sides of the cylinder with the instruction the Loren provided. It took about 1.5hours only.

In additional to that, it will be easier to approach the cylinders if you remove the inside panel.

For the hydraulic oil, I bought it off from the dealer. You will need to refill it twice. The system will bleed out all air automatic.

About 90% of the bottle will be consummed.

Thanks, but where can I find Loren's instructions for this. Sorry to be so computer challenged, hopefully I'm better with a wrench! Jeffrey

I have replaced both sides of the cylinder with the instruction the Loren provided. It took about 1.5hours only.

In additional to that, it will be easier to approach the cylinders if you remove the inside panel.

For the hydraulic oil, I bought it off from the dealer. You will need to refill it twice. The system will bleed out all air automatic.

My cab has the same problem so I've been riding around with the hard top for a couple months. Side note: I'm really digging the looks of it with the hard top on!

Anyways, I've heard that the replacement cylinder is $650 new at the dealer, which explains why I've got the hard top on.

However, last week, I was doing some Ebay searching and ended up purchasing a used one off of an '02 junked car for $150 + $14 shipping. So you might want to do some internet searches for a used part to save yourself a few hundred bucks.

Now, who can help me find the instructions to change out the cylinder myself?

thanks and good luck!

Thanks, but where can I find Loren's instructions for this. Sorry to be so computer challenged, hopefully I'm better with a wrench! Jeffrey

See post #6 above.

Just follow the same procedure. You will see the cylinder once you disassemble to that point.

I've seen the cylinder itself when I was in there topping off the fluid, but wasn't sure if it's as simple as unbolting off the old one, transferring over the hoses and re-bolting on the new one. Any tips would be appreciated. I hear that removing the back interior 'door' panel can help.

There are only 2 nuts holding the cylinders. You can gain access from the top or by removing the side panels inside the car.

Just make sure all the hydraulic hoses connects to where they belongs or ... . You will need a hexagon key to unscrew the oil reservior in order to fill up the oil. Very little room there.

Just follow the same procedure. You will see the cylinder once you disassemble to that point.

I've seen the cylinder itself when I was in there topping off the fluid, but wasn't sure if it's as simple as unbolting off the old one, transferring over the hoses and re-bolting on the new one. Any tips would be appreciated. I hear that removing the back interior 'door' panel can help.

I had mine rebuilt with new seals by guy in Florida, like new for a lot less than new

There are only 2 nuts holding the cylinders. You can gain access from the top or by removing the side panels inside the car.

Just make sure all the hydraulic hoses connects to where they belongs or ... . You will need a hexagon key to unscrew the oil reservior in order to fill up the oil. Very little room there.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, on my first top-off of fluid I found that the previous owner had done the same and managed to both not replace the copper washer and strip the hex bolt insert, so there was no getting it off. I ended up melting a new filler hole through the top of the plastic reservoir, filling it up, and sealing the hole with a hot glue gun. I figured my options were to either get resourceful or spend $600 on a new hydraulic pump.

I have two leaky cylindrers that I need to replace. I got a quote from Sunset Imports for $505.00 each. Ouch! I would greatly appreciate a referral for someone to rebuild them.

Thanks, Jeff e-mail ([email=nablotroxel@aol.com)

nablotroxel@aol.com)
name='butch199' timestamp='1282668279' post='184265]

I had mine rebuilt with new seals by guy in Florida, like new for a lot less than new

I have two leaky cylindrers that I need to replace. I got a quote from Sunset Imports for $505.00 each. Ouch! I would greatly appreciate a referral for someone to rebuild them.

nablotroxel@aol.com)

Might be worth checking this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-996-997-911-Convertible-Hydraulic-Rams-Cylinder-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ200493404359QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Dave, Thanks for the link. I am also looking into getting them rebuilt. I'll post the outcome asap.

nablotroxel@aol.com)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Dave, Thanks for the link. I am also looking into getting them rebuilt. I'll post the outcome asap.

nablotroxel@aol.com)

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Just installed my Ebay'd passenger side $150 hydraulic ram. Once I figured out how to remove the rear interior panel (brute force helps) it really wasn't that bad of a job. The trickiest and most frustrating part was trying to reconnect the hydraulic hose lines. There's really not much space in there at all. I eventually got the bolt threads to bite, but I was just short of unbolting the whole hydraulic pump and reconnecting the hoses with the thing off the car.

With fat fingers, it's difficult, but not impossible, to reconnect the hoses, but what's the 'right' way to do it? Remove the pump, switch over the hoses and then put the pump back on? Doesn't look like there's much room to get at that bottom bolt, either.

In any event, the $150 cylinder seems to work great. No leaks at all. Yet, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

At last, based on a referral from a member on this site, I sent both cylinders to a guy in south Florida and he promptly rebuilt them with new seals and returned them along with some helpful info reguarding reinstallation. Everything seems to be working as it should. All for about half the cost of new. If anyone wants, e-mail me at nablotroxel@aol.com and I will give you his contact info. Thanks to all, this site is a very helpful tool. Jeff