Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 1999 /996 cab. I was wondering what is a normal operating temperature reading on this baby. When i am in traffic the needle goes up to the zero on the 180 degrees marker. is this this acceptable.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

On the Mk I edition of 996 cars (which a 1999 is), you can get a digital temperature reading, and other readings. I learned this from a thread at rennlist.

You use the climate control system in the car. Here’s how. Press and hold both the recirculation button, and the top (arrow up) buttons on the right side of the panel for a few seconds. The left screen will change. Pressing the + and - keys below that screen will make the display different numbers from 0 (i.e. zero) to 36, each beside a letter “C”. The reading 6c is the one you want. At 6C, or any other reading, then press the center vent button once. The display will change and show you your coolant temp in centigrade. (The other values possible I’ve not used much.)

I just learned of this functionality, and was surprised to see that the coolant temperature may exceed 100 degrees C in slow stop/go traffic. The temperature gauge on the dash at that point reads in or to the right hand edge of the 0 in 180.

My 2001 996 also has this interesting feature. Just wondering if anyone knows what the other 35 values indicate. On a hot summer day my temp guage needle commonly splits the zero of the 180 reading. The digital readout at this point reads at 100 degrees centigrade, which is 212 degrees (water boiling point) farenheit? Sounds very hot to me, but under pressure the coolant properties must prevent boiling?

thats nothing. On hot days if i use the aircon my needle rolls all the way across the '0' and registers 109-112. I've clean rads, and checked fans. All good. I'm still working on implementing the engine compartment fan hack.

...The reading 6c is the one you want. At 6C, or any other reading, then press the center vent button once. The display will change and show you your coolant temp in centigrade. (The other values possible I've not used much.)...

Does anyone happen to know what the other values/positions mean? Some of them appear to be voltages and other temperature probes?

On the Mk I edition of 996 cars (which a 1999 is), you can get a digital temperature reading, and other readings. I learned this from a thread at rennlist.

You use the climate control system in the car. Here's how. Press and hold both the recirculation button, and the top (arrow up) buttons on the right side of the panel for a few seconds. The left screen will change. Pressing the + and - keys below that screen will make the display different numbers from 0 (i.e. zero) to 36, each beside a letter "C". The reading 6c is the one you want. At 6C, or any other reading, then press the center vent button once. The display will change and show you your coolant temp in centigrade. (The other values possible I've not used much.)

I just learned of this functionality, and was surprised to see that the coolant temperature may exceed 100 degrees C in slow stop/go traffic. The temperature gauge on the dash at that point reads in or to the right hand edge of the 0 in 180.

My 99 996 after about 30 minutes in metro traffic (avg speed 12 mph per OBC), OAT at 98F per OBC

--> DME values (not AC diagnostics) shows 207F coolant temp, IAT shows 156F, engine cooling fan came on while plugging reader into OBDII port

Dashboard gauge was around mid way on the zero

Been searching for awhile now regarding those digital display values for my 2001 996. Anybody else have any luck, and what did you type in for the search? Thanks, any help is much appreciated. Been getting up to 104 degrees centigrade on the digital readout display. This is after maybe 30 minutes driving in moderate traffic with around 80 degree weather after dark. After it peaks at 104 centigrade it slowly goes down to 96 - 98 centigrade. The temp needle covers the right edge of the 0 of the 180 mark at 104 centigrade digital readout. Can this be normal? Had my coolant flushed, new coolant tank and cap done about 6 months ago. Radiator areas are clean and like new. I am starting to think I am worrying too much about the temperature, but is there is anything that can be done to bring it down a bit? I would hope that if Porsche thought a normally aspirated 996 needed a third radiator they would have designed it that way and included it from the factory.

• Admin

Been searching for awhile now regarding those digital display values for my 2001 996. Anybody else have any luck, and what did you type in for the search? Thanks, any help is much appreciated. Been getting up to 104 degrees centigrade on the digital readout display. This is after maybe 30 minutes driving in moderate traffic with around 80 degree weather after dark. After it peaks at 104 centigrade it slowly goes down to 96 - 98 centigrade. The temp needle covers the right edge of the 0 of the 180 mark at 104 centigrade digital readout. Can this be normal? Had my coolant flushed, new coolant tank and cap done about 6 months ago. Radiator areas are clean and like new. I am starting to think I am worrying too much about the temperature, but is there is anything that can be done to bring it down a bit? I would hope that if Porsche thought a normally aspirated 996 needed a third radiator they would have designed it that way and included it from the factory.

The display changed - those won't work on a 2001 and newer car.

• Upvote 1

The high speed fans (AC off) do not even come on until 102 centigrade. You are worrying too much. BTW the digital readout on the AC display does not agree exactly with the DME temp readouts I have taken. They must come from different source inputs.

Sibates

I know you are right! I do worry too much about this kinda stuff. Sometimes I wish there was no temperature guage at all in my 996. I've had plenty of cars that I would just turn the ignition key and go, but I respect the Porsche marque to the point of paranoia. I would suspect that three different input sources would produce three different temp readings. I am also too analytical, but your information does take the edge off my excessive worrying. Thanks for your reply. This site provides help (therapy) to me in knowing that I am not alone.