Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How long before pads/rotors are bedded in?

I finnished installing my Hawk HPS pads and drilled rotors yesterday and have put about 40 miles on the car. I have the prescribed bedding process and the car still fill like it has no stopping power. I slammed on the brakes at 40 and I felt like I was doing it in Ford Van. How long does it take before I get the powerful Porsche feel. There litterally is no bite to these things.

• Admin

From the Hawk website:

1. After installing new brake pads, make 6 to 10 stops from approximately 30-35 mph applying moderate pressure.

2. Make an additional 2 to 3 hard stops from approximately 40 to 45 mph.

3. DO NOT DRAG BRAKES!

4. Allow 15 minutes for brake system to cool down.

5. After step 4 your new pads are ready for use.

• Moderators

I finnished installing my Hawk HPS pads and drilled rotors yesterday and have put about 40 miles on the car. I have the prescribed bedding process and the car still fill like it has no stopping power. I slammed on the brakes at 40 and I felt like I was doing it in Ford Van. How long does it take before I get the powerful Porsche feel. There litterally is no bite to these things.

About half an hour if you do it correctly............

Hawk HPS pads stink!!!!!!!!!!, no bite at all. I called them and they tried telling me that I needed to remove everything and clean the rotors with brake cleaner and sand down the pads because of anti-corrosion covering on rotors. I called the company I got the rotos off of and they said no, but that I needed to break them in. So I have put about 200 miles on the car, the car brakes a lot better but I have lost that powerfull bite. It pretty much brakes like a normal car now, not something I would feel comfortable driving fast and having to hard brake. It does better when hot vs cold. The only positive I can say is that my wheels are still clean after 4 days of driving.

How does the pedal feel? I never opened the hydraulic circuit when I did mine but I had to pump the pedal many times before I had a firm pedal and at least two hundred miles before I had the feel I did prior to the relining.

Were the rotors clean at installation? If not, the pads could have become contaminated and will never have the proper performance.

I did not clean the rotors, I took them from the box and installed them. I called the company I bought them from and they do not have a anti-corrosion layer. I did have the brake fluid changed by an Indy.

If the pads are contaminated, would they not just wear off.... both the pad and the rotor?

Is there a way to clean the rotors with out removing everything? I can see removing the pads and cleaning the outside of the rotors, but getting to the inside may be an issue. Hawk recommended that I remove the whole system and clean the rotors with brake cleaner and sand down the pads. I just can see doing that.

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this issue? I've ran into the same "problem" where the initial bite is gone, and I've logged maybe 2k miles now with no change. I'm starting to suspect that this is just the way the pads are. They have the stopping power, but the brake pedal effort is much higher. I thought it would go away with some wear, but it hasn't.

Have you tried the sanding as Hawk recommended?

I did not clean the rotors, I took them from the box and installed them. I called the company I bought them from and they do not have a anti-corrosion layer. I did have the brake fluid changed by an Indy.

If the pads are contaminated, would they not just wear off.... both the pad and the rotor?

Is there a way to clean the rotors with out removing everything? I can see removing the pads and cleaning the outside of the rotors, but getting to the inside may be an issue. Hawk recommended that I remove the whole system and clean the rotors with brake cleaner and sand down the pads. I just can see doing that.

No Change yet and I too am about to hit 2k, although about 1k was hwy driving. I really have not had the chance to mess with it, the thought of taking everything off is daunting. Especially here in AZ where my garage would get 120+. I too hoped that by 3k they would be bedded in and have come to realize it is what it is. I dont think it has nearly the stopping power my original pads had. I can say this for sure, my wheels are always clean!

Any updates on this issue? I've ran into the same "problem" where the initial bite is gone, and I've logged maybe 2k miles now with no change. I'm starting to suspect that this is just the way the pads are. They have the stopping power, but the brake pedal effort is much higher. I thought it would go away with some wear, but it hasn't.

Have you tried the sanding as Hawk recommended?