Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

oil coolant mixed

What JPA said......

You could go from terrible to horrible.

At this stage you can probably get the engine fixed and rebuilt - if you end up hydro-locking -- you could end up with a cracked block

and be in for a complete new engine.

Note: only INDY's will rebuild your engine.

Don't count on the dealership understanding the problem.

Picked up a 996 a couple weeks ago because (I believe) the dealership ended up hydro-locking a customers car

and cracking the block.

Mike

Update,

Today, I drained the motor oil and I don't see any sign of milky brownish mixture, instead the oil is just BLACK, I guess this is a good news for me.

The reason is I suspected that there might have been oil/coolant mixture is that I started experiencing mysterious coolant loss, Fri night, the coolant indicator light came for the second time in 2 weeks.

and the oil dip stick had some brownish fluid, I couldn't tell whether it was oil, or the mixture.

I was also in the process doing some additional maintenance, I will start a new post on that, as I have a few questions about spark plus and coil.

In the process, I also suspect that the car might have another problem.

AOS,

The car displays the symptons of AOS problem. a puff of white smoke at the start up of engine; lasts about 5 seconds and there is noticeable suction at the oil filler hole when I place my palm over it.

i just replaced my AOS last weekend - relatively easy DIY with the hardest part being the hose clamps as usual. AOS was about $88 from sunset and maybe $1+ for a screw type hose clamp - recommended.

I had the occasional puffs of white smoke (1 or 2 times/yr), and then suddenly, it was heavy white/grey smoke at every startup that would last for 60seconds or so. It would appear to go away once driven, but you could see smalls amounts of smoke coming out of the exhaust if you really looked at it.

I removed the Throttle body and found oil which lead me to conclude it was the AOS.

Edited by por986

Loren,

I just saw some coolant on the garage floor, right behind where rear right wheel is. (I just jacked up the back end of the car yesterday)

I wonder if it is coming from where reservoir tank is connected to some main plumbing.

• 1 month later...

Loren,

I just saw some coolant on the garage floor, right behind where rear right wheel is. (I just jacked up the back end of the car yesterday)

I wonder if it is coming from where reservoir tank is connected to some main plumbing.

Common problem,Bad expansion tank. Pressurize the system with the carpet & side panels out of the trunk & you should be able to see it.

Howard