Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cleaning Windshield

Hi Everyone:

So, I just returned from another 1000 mile roadtrip (return) and, as I usually do, I spend some time cleaning all the bug crap off my car's bumper and windshield when I get home. I do a lot of these trips, both in the 911 and in a BMW I also own. Over time both windshields have gotten speckled. I assume these are a result of small stones, sand, etc. pitting the windshield at highway speed. They are extremely small, about the size of a grain of sand. The trips are 8-9 hours pretty much non-stop at highway speeds, or slightly faster... ;-)

I am pretty sure they are not from bug grime since no amount of cleaning can get them off. And the windshield is smooth to the touch. I always marvel at other people's car where the windshield is truly clear and clean.

My questions:

1. Is anyone in the same boat,

2. How can I restore the windshield to its sparkling new state.

Thanks!!!!

Hi Everyone:

So, I just returned from another 1000 mile roadtrip (return) and, as I usually do, I spend some time cleaning all the bug crap off my car's bumper and windshield when I get home. I do a lot of these trips, both in the 911 and in a BMW I also own. Over time both windshields have gotten speckled. I assume these are a result of small stones, sand, etc. pitting the windshield at highway speed. They are extremely small, about the size of a grain of sand. The trips are 8-9 hours pretty much non-stop at highway speeds, or slightly faster... ;-)

I am pretty sure they are not from bug grime since no amount of cleaning can get them off. And the windshield is smooth to the touch. I always marvel at other people's car where the windshield is truly clear and clean.

My questions:

Thanks!!!!

My questions:

Yep...All windshields get pitted from debris ...sand....rocks...etc.(especially at highway speeds)

Only way is a new windshield. Porsche glass is especially soft compound, but nothing you can do to clear the pits etc.. They make glass polish, which is a mild abrasive but you may

get a blurry effect from sanding on your glass....may have waves or ripples if you are not careful.

DC

Porsche glass is especially soft compound, but nothing you can do to clear the pits etc..

I've been wondering about this myself. My '02 C2 with 29,000 miles has more pitting than my 87 BMW with 185K miles and I know the miles on the Porsche are genuine.

I'm glad I'm not the only one here.

So how about the second question? There has to be something to clear up the windshield? Anyone have their car detailed professionally and they were able to clear it away? Sort of takes the fun out of driving long and fast......

I'm glad I'm not the only one here.

So how about the second question? There has to be something to clear up the windshield? Anyone have their car detailed professionally and they were able to clear it away? Sort of takes the fun out of driving long and fast......

You could try a coat of rain-x to fill the pits? Can't remember where I heard about that, but it's meant to work if the pits aren't too deep.

Just doing a search through other forums and on the web looks like depending on depth pit polishing can help but not make it as new.

That said years ago I had an XKE that had deep scratches from the wipers.(three wipers on that jag) I could not afford a new windshield at the time. I went to a glass repair shop that gave me some dry polish, looked like reddish talc, I was able to reduce the hazing in the scratches enough to pass inspection. Luckily they were not in direct line of sight because when I was finished the window was clear but there was a deep "valley" that the wipers could never touch.

Maybe one of these products?

http://www.eastwood.com/glass-polishing-kit-for-deep-scratches-5658.html

or the pros?

Unfortunetly Porsche windshields are pretty weak.. I have had 4 P cars now and all the windshields have been pitted. Way more than other cars I have owned. I bought a Carrera with 14k miles and the windshield was already pitted.

When the time comes to replace the one in my Turbo I think i'm going to use this product.. http://www.clearplex.com/

Why Porsche uses such soft glass is a mystery.. Well maybe not.. Profit margins and all that stuff....

It is not just Porsche that uses "softer" glass. I think it is all German cars. Both of our Mercedes windshields look terrible. Somewhere along the way I was told that TUV requirements are different than USA and require this glass formulation?!?!?

I know that I learned to rope in the windshields in my two early car (70 & 72) because of the pitting/cracking, one could save $50 on DIY. Five or six track events at most tracks or two three day events at Pocono or Bridgehampton would pretty much destroy the windshield. They looked like they had been sandblasted. In the early-mid 80's one could get a non-German replacement for ~$150 USD that had a harder surface that resisted pitting better. These tended to crack from flying debris easier. I had two crack from being hit by rubber chunks.

I use Rejex on my windshield and it makes the glass surface very slippery so that bugs and fine ablative particles bounce off without leaving much damage.

Orient,

Your car is so well waxed that rain beads and starts to run off 1" before it hits the surface. :notworthy:

Yep! Plus one on this one!

My wind shield has a number of stone chips and has a sand blasted appearance in certain lighting conditions. No amount of cleaning makes any difference and my Mercedes C220 was even worse! Must be a German car trait!

The solution for me will eventually be to repace the screen as the roads over here in the UK mean that before long I'll have a cracked wind shield and will be able to then have it replaced under my insurance scheme. The excess is usually only about 50 UK pounds and it doesn't affect your no claims bonus...

:beer:

Thanks everyone. I guess I expected these answers but I'm surprised that someone doesn't make a wax type product with the same refractive index as glass. Oh well. I guess I'll just start driving behind dump trucks and hope that a stone rolls off and cracks my windshield so I can have it replaced.

• 2 months later...

Just posting an update to this thread. I had my windshield clayed this past weekend and to my surprise, many of the pitts came out. The glass isn't perfect but it's MUCH better, especially in sunlight. The guy who taught me how to do it said to take a ziploc bag put your hand in it and then pass it over the windshield. You'll be able to feel all the little bumps that the clay can then take off. Sure enough, after we clayed it, the glass was, as the saying goes, smooth as glass. Remarkable really.