Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help: Leaking Tiptronic Transmission-dealer says non-repairable

I saw some fluid in my garage and the dealer says its a small leak at the seal to the transfer case. Dealer says the only option is to replace the transmission for $13,000. Porsche doesn't sell gaskets or seals for the 2001 Tiptronic transmission. Any ideas out there as with this kind of service policy this may be my last Porsche. Even a used transmission is $5,000 plus install, etc. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Sorry, the car is a 2001 TT 996 with 69K miles. I've owned it for 5 years since 31K miles.

I saw some fluid in my garage and the dealer says its a small leak at the seal to the transfer case. Dealer says the only option is to replace the transmission for $13,000. Porsche doesn't sell gaskets or seals for the 2001 Tiptronic transmission. Any ideas out there as with this kind of service policy this may be my last Porsche. Even a used transmission is $5,000 plus install, etc. Please help if you can. Thanks.

Sorry, the car is a 2001 TT 996 with 69K miles. I've owned it for 5 years since 31K miles.

Hi There....

Not sure exactly what the issue is with your Tiptronic, but there are about 5-6 pages of parts (gears, seals, gaskets, lines, etc.) in the PET Catalog for your car Tiptronic transmission. I might suggest trying a different shop?

Good luck,

DC

Agree with the rock88, you have to found out exactly where the leak comes from. and of course have a second opinion before you spend that kind of money. Take some pictures of the area where the leak comes from and post it ! We might be able to help you better after seeing some pics....

The leak is at the seal to the front transfer case. I believe its at the bottom of that seal. I'm told no one can get a gasket for that. The transmission is fine other than that. What a shame. What a service policy from Porsche...

Thanks.

The leak is at the seal to the front transfer case. I believe its at the bottom of that seal. I'm told no one can get a gasket for that. The transmission is fine other than that. What a shame. What a service policy from Porsche...

Thanks.

Yeah, unfortunately Porsche does not "trust" their dealers to handle repairing seals in the front diff. I had a very small leak when my car was about a year old. They replaced the entire front diff...go figure.

• Moderators

More and more, the OEM’s are making fewer driveline parts available for their cars. This is happening for multiple reasons: First, fewer dealer tech’s are qualified or equipped to disassemble driveline components. Second, rebuilding components on a flat rate basis sucks from the perspective of the dealer’s cash flow; too many rebuilds become money losers for the dealer. Third, simply too many come backs; both due to the lack of knowledge/equipment, and because something else craps out as soon as the first problem is fixed.

So the standard “modus operandi” had become “pull it and put in a new/rebuilt unit” which address all the above. Doesn’t matter if it is the CVT in a Nissan Sentra or the PDK in a new Turbo……………..

Well here is some good news for you then......, there is a guy on 6speed that has sourced all the seals required and bearings as well.

Have a search and I'm sure you will find the post. I will have a look now as well.If i find it i will past it on here.

Frank

I'm sure its all in here: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/216574-whats-your-tippy-tip-tronic.html

And: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/193207-tiptronic-information-thread.html

Join 6speed and ask him his user name is Adam699

Edited by Sunnyside

I had the same issue with mine. My indy stripped it and fitted new gaskets, which he got from a friendly Mercedes dealer who let him surf the parts program. The box ix based on the MB722.6 unit. The only one he couldn't get was the one for the transfer case, which is specific to Porsche. Being "old school" he simply made one.

• Upvote 1

More and more, the OEM’s are making fewer driveline parts available for their cars. This is happening for multiple reasons: First, fewer dealer tech’s are qualified or equipped to disassemble driveline components. Second, rebuilding components on a flat rate basis sucks from the perspective of the dealer’s cash flow; too many rebuilds become money losers for the dealer. Third, simply too many come backs; both due to the lack of knowledge/equipment, and because something else craps out as soon as the first problem is fixed.

So the standard “modus operandi” had become “pull it and put in a new/rebuilt unit” which address all the above. Doesn’t matter if it is the CVT in a Nissan Sentra or the PDK in a new Turbo……………..

I agree with what you say, but what I find difficult to understand is that Porsche will supply gaskets and seals for a 1960's Sportmatic transmission, but not a 2005 Tiptronic. Go figure. Or maybe we just have to wait for the 996 to reach classic status. Could be some while..... ;)

This transmission leak can be fixed very sucessfully. Good results and aftermarket warranty companies have been easy to work with on this. Beats the price of a new tranny or using someone else's used one.

• 4 months later...

Hello there. I recently had a tip leak from the same spot. My independent service centre could not source the gasket so they just partially dropped the engine/trans and resealed it with a homemade gasket/sealant. It has been almost a year and so far... no leaks! Thank you Zentrum in Calverton UK!! Cheers, Nick.

• 4 years later...

Sorry to revive this old thread but it explains the situation that I'm having with my '04 996 TT and it's going in the shop on Monday and I have been told the same story. My independent wrench feels that it is repairable even though Porsche stated there was no gasket for that part. Has anyone else had any updates on this issue ? Has a new gasket hit the market or is a fabricated gasket a solution to this.

Any input would be appreciated !

Thanks

Glenn

• Moderators

Some time ago, Porsche adopted the stance that they did not want their dealer tech's taking engines or transmissions apart to repair them.  Several other manufacturers have also done the same thing.  In their world, it make better economic sense to replace a gearbox rather than train the techs and provide the dealerships with an expansive and expensive array of tooling to accomplish this in the field.  As the direct result, there are few parts available through the dealerships to fix things like leaks on transmissions that otherwise are working fine.

Fortunately, there are alternatives, but ones that require some creative hunting around.  Aftermarket transmission shops often have access to the parts the dealers cannot supply, as do the parts departments at other brands (VW, Audi, MB) which use very similar versions of the same transmissions, as still allow their techs to work on them.  You can also consider fabricating your own gaskets from commercially available materials designed for transmission applications.

Sometimes you simply need to mirror the Marine Corp attitude: Adapt and overcome.

• 5 months later...

Good Afternoon every one!  I recently bought a 2001 Porsche Boxster tiptronic with a tranni problem.

I have a leak of tranni fluid coming straight down from torq converter area and where engine and tranni connect.. how would i know if i need a new torq converter of if its the SEAL TO THE FRONT TRANSFER CASE? I recently just did a tranni flush on it new gasket new filter and all. so when i was pumping new atf into pan i then went to move gears around as ordered then once i put about 4 quarts i noticed it pouring out of front area of the tranni. also when i took the pan off and filter it had melted black plastic that must have melted from the wires under tranni pan area . well anyways it was melted and sucked into filter then it was hardened into a hard rock plastic.  so filter was clogged pretty good with that although wires look good still.  so anyways i need to know where i can find the front seal to the transfer case does any one have a picture of that so i can know what im looking for. also how do i know if its the torq converter bad>? would it leak like that everytime gear goes into drive???? Please help!!! thanks in advance. il post up pics of it all later when i can 

• Moderators

Welcome to RennTech.

I seriously doubt the torque convert is at fault here; it is most likely a front seal issue.Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, Porsche only lists compete replacement transmissions for your car.  To find a replacement front seal, you are going to need to pull yours and then check with VW, Audi, or MB dealers to see if they can match up one from their transmissions.  You might also consider contacting local transmission repair shops to see if they can help.

Thank you JFP in PA I am glad to be here!

Okay that is a kind of a relief to think its not the torque converter. I have a good feeling that is is the (Front Seal) also. 

Alright so I have not finished pulling the entire transmission off just yet, i ran out of time yesterday and will have to start back on it again Friday night. 

I really appreciate your time to answer my questions greatly greatly appreciated. I have been stressing over this car problem for a while i need to get it fixed and working asap before the end of the month when my school starts i will need it because it will be my only transportation for now. 

Do you know the proper term used for the (Front Seal)? Also one more question.. Would this whole problem cause the transmission not to go into certain gears for example reverse or properly switch into correct gears from 1-5 in order, because when i first drove it the previous owner told me it does NOT go into reverse. So I am wondering if it has anything to do with being low on transmission fluid from the leak and the Transmission computer can detect that and its throwing off the gears? does that make sense? please let me know what you think ? I will pull off transmission this weekend and hopefully find that seal to be damaged! 

one more thing would you happen to have a picture of what that front seal issue looks like so i have an idea of what to look for exactly . 

Thank you very much in advance!!! 

-Anthony

The 986 Boxster uses a transmission based on the ZF 5HP19 transmission used by VW/Audi/BMW as JFP says.  Any good transmission shop should be able to fix it.  There are on-line parts catalogues for the ZF 5HP19, but if you have trouble finding one drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send one I have in PDF.  Just Google and you'll find lots of info.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, antporsche said:

So if i get the seal replaced and fix the leak and fully finish the transmission flush. should Porsche go back to normal and drive properly again?

It may, but it is not a guarantee.  There may be other issues as well, or it may just be low on fluid from leaking.

26 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

The 986 Boxster uses a transmission based on the ZF 5HP19 transmission used by VW/Audi/BMW as JFP says.  Any good transmission shop should be able to fix it.  There are on-line parts catalogues for the ZF 5HP19, but if you have trouble finding one drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send one I have in PDF.  Just Google and you'll find lots of info.

Hello Richard Hamilton,

Thank you for the information its very helpful! Very much appreciated, I will look on google but google always has different parts that show up sometimes, 

Yes if you can drop me a pic of what the front seal looks like in pdf that would be excellent! thank you for taking the time to help.

anthonyarrjay3@gmail.com

8 minutes ago, JFP in PA said:

It may, but it is not a guarantee.  There may be other issues as well, or it may just be low on fluid from leaking.

Alright i guess its the best shot is to find and fix the leak problem first then go from there. thanks for your time and help!