Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

The wife is about had it with this porsche

She just called me saying that it wont start...again! after I just replaced the ignition realy.....POS!

This is the 2nd time in a month that this has happened to her.

I bought the Durametric and there was no error code. I just had to reset the airbag light.

Could she have pop the clutch to start the car?

So it got towed back home on a flatbed. Guess what? I was able to start it!

Then i few minutes later I tried starting again but it wouldn't start again....

So defintely the ignition switch relay again?

Edited by westladog

When you say wont start, does the engine turn over? If it does not turn over or occasionally turn over, it could also be your ignition switch or a bad starter motor. If this is a manual transmission the you 'll have to floor the clutch to start and that could also be the switch on the clutch that is bad too. Good luck and keep us posted.

maybe... some ignition switches are bad out of the box.

or could be the clutch interlock switch or a key issue.

Need more details about what happened when you tried to start it?

Did it turn over or nothing, etc.? Any pending codes (autozone or th elike will read for free)

Tell us more

:)

The engine was not able to turn over at all. Nothing. I can't even hear a clicking when I turn the key.

I just connected the durametric and no codes came out.

Now, this time I really made sure that I depress the clutch pedal down really hard....it started!

So I was able to replicate the problem. If I depress it normally, it would not start. But if I really concentrate and press it down all the way down, it would start.

clutch interlock switch? what the heck is that?

maybe... some ignition switches are bad out of the box.

or could be the clutch interlock switch or a key issue.

Need more details about what happened when you tried to start it?

Did it turn over or nothing, etc.? Any pending codes (autozone or th elike will read for free)

Tell us more

:)

It's the switch that keeps you from starting the car with the manual transmission in gear. With the car running and stopped, you can hear a click of the relay when you press the cluth down, and then as you release the cluth you can hear the click as the relay releases.

You may have to pull out the black platic vent duct under the steering wheel, but you should be able to see, and adjust or replace the switch. Mine does require the clutch pedal to be pushed all the way down. Being 6 feet tall it isn;t an issue with me.

Definitely, the carpet was bunched up when it came back on a flarbed. :(

I was able to start the boxster but a few minutes later I wasn't.

I have to drive it myself for a few days to learn more about this problem.

So she could have bumped-start it? I should have told her to try that....

Also, check to ensure the carpet isn't bunched up under the clutch pedal restricting the movement of the pedal.

Bill

Also, check to ensure the carpet isn't bunched up under the clutch pedal restricting the movement of the pedal.

Bill

I don't think you can "bump-start" the car with a bad clutch interlock switch. Not sure if it disables the ignition or just the circuit to the starter solenoid.

That issue with bunched up carpets under the clutch pedal that "whall" mentions is a fairly common problem, so make absolutely sure that there is nothing restricting the full movement of the clutch pedal. If it annoys you, you can jump the two sides of the switch with a small piece of wire, but then you have to remember to have the clutch depressed or the tranny in neutral so as to avoid having the car lurch forward when you turn the key (like in the old days). The ROW DME program allows the car to be started without having to step on the clutch.

Regards, Maurice.

ROW DME?

Is that an option within the Durametric software?

Bill

I don't think you can "bump-start" the car with a bad clutch interlock switch. Not sure if it disables the ignition or just the circuit to the starter solenoid.

That issue with bunched up carpets under the clutch pedal that "whall" mentions is a fairly common problem, so make absolutely sure that there is nothing restricting the full movement of the clutch pedal. If it annoys you, you can jump the two sides of the switch with a small piece of wire, but then you have to remember to have the clutch depressed or the tranny in neutral so as to avoid having the car lurch forward when you turn the key (like in the old days). The ROW DME program allows the car to be started without having to step on the clutch.

Regards, Maurice.

Seriously? My '03 Boxster has been rock solid - only one minor issue (light switch) in the 85K+ miles I've put on it - many of them harder / faster than most. My Honda and Toyota on the other had - several more issues before the first 50K.

Kudos to the folks who helped out on the frustrated post!!! clapping.gif

• Upvote 1

For sure! I'm willing to trade my ride for hers anyday.

She can drive my 1994 Acura Integra.

Seriously? My '03 Boxster has been rock solid - only one minor issue (light switch) in the 85K+ miles I've put on it - many of them harder / faster than most. My Honda and Toyota on the other had - several more issues before the first 50K.

Kudos to the folks who helped out on the frustrated post!!! clapping.gif

Dude, she drives a Boxster and you drive an Acura? Do you have a picture of her and is she looking to trade up?

Seriously, troubleshooting an intermitant problem is tough. Buy a short jumper wire with two alligator clips and jump the "pedal down" switch. Drive it a few days and if it dowsn't act up, it's the switch/ I've also jumped switches like that with a paper clip to test them.

Let us know what you find.

Chuck (drives the Boxster while the wife drives a Smart).

Edited by N41EF

There are two leads going to this switch. Are you saying that I connect the two alligator clips to the two leads? I was going to ziptied the switch but she told me to remove it because it would be dangerous if she or someone else accidentally start the car in gear and not depressing the clutch pedal. I'm always careful to start my car in neutral but she told me that she starts it in gear all the time. (I ran out to the garage and remove the ziptie!)

Dude, she drives a Boxster and you drive an Acura? Do you have a picture of her and is she looking to trade up?

Seriously, troubleshooting an intermitant problem is tough. Buy a short jumper wire with two alligator clips and jump the "pedal down" switch. Drive it a few days and if it dowsn't act up, it's the switch/ I've also jumped switches like that with a paper clip to test them.

Let us know what you find.

Chuck (drives the Boxster while the wife drives a Smart).

There are two leads going to this switch. Are you saying that I connect the two alligator clips to the two leads? I was going to ziptied the switch but she told me to remove it because it would be dangerous if she or someone else accidentally start the car in gear and not depressing the clutch pedal. I'm always careful to start my car in neutral but she told me that she starts it in gear all the time. (I ran out to the garage and remove the ziptie!)

If you use a jumper wire to connect the two sides of the switch, you cannot avoid the fact that you should only start the car in neutral or with the clutch pedal depressed. Any other method will have the car lurching forward, and it could be catastrophic, so be careful.

Regards, Maurice.