Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

19 inch wheels on a 996

Hi everyone:

I've read a few threads indicating that Porsche (and Loren) does not recommend 19 inch wheels on a 996. I just saw a 2002 (I believe) 996 with 19's and I thought it looked pretty sweet. I've attached a pic for all to see.

Any idea what those wheels are called? Are they OEM?

The tire sizes were: 245/35/19 on the fronts and 275/30/19 on the rears. Pirelli Pzero Rosso all around.

I've got a 2000 996 C4 and would like the look? Is this a bad idea?

Take a look.

post-52879-0-01672200-1338562271_thumb.j

I think that 19-inch wheels look great on a 996, but I wouldn't put a set on my car. It's not recommended and tested by Porsche, and it can lead to problems. The larger wheel can put additional stress on your suspension components which could cause them to fail prematurely. If you never track your vehicle or drive very aggressively, then it probably won't matter. If you track the car, then it very well may matter. There's not a recommended tire size for 19s for the 996, so you'll have to guess or ask other people on the sizes that they use. I know lots of people have done it, and I'm sure one of them will give you their experience.

The wheels in the photo don't appear to be OEM wheels to me. I'm guessing, but I think they are Champion RG5 wheels.

I currently run 19 with street tires and have 18 for DE events. I have used 19 on the track too. I dont think there is any serrious effect with using 19 at all. I believe that porsche never rated their stock suspension to work with the extra weright and different offset that a 19 has. With that said I actually see no benefit running 19 as the handling did not improve and the ride is a little worse. The 19 just looks a little better with less sidewalls. The wheels in the picture looks like the Champion RG5.

I had 19 inch wheels with 245/35/19 and 275/30/19 on my 1999 C2 with standard suspension. They looked great but I prefered the handling with the 18 inch.

I have now gone back to 18 inch with 225/40/18 and 295/30/18 and lowered it with H&R springs and new Bilstein shocks.

Very happy with the handling, and the 295 on the rear gives it a nice stance.

Thanks for all the information. Given the uncertainty, I am thinking of staying with my 18's and going from the Turbo Twists to a Carrera II style (I recently gave one of my chrome rears a serious case of curb rash). Swede-man, can I get you to provide some details on your springs and shocks. Also, any problems with running 295's on the back?

Jimmy

Does anyone have any reservations about running 295's on the rear. From the Tirerack website i see that they are a closer diameter to the fronts than the 265's are. I understand that is especially important for the C4's. Thanks!

Jimmy,

I got the H&R performance spring kit that lowered my 1999 C2 aproximately 1 inch. The spec sheet mentioned lowering 1.0 to 1.5 inch, but in my case it was 1 inch wich i am happy with.

I also got the Bilstein (sport) schocks. They also do an (HD) version but I understood that the sport shocks were more suitable with the lowering.

I have absolutely no problems with the 295 30 18 rubbing or touching, but remember that I have a C2 and not sure about you C4.

I got the shocks and springs from Automotion.com

Jimmy,

I got the H&R performance spring kit that lowered my 1999 C2 aproximately 1 inch. The spec sheet mentioned lowering 1.0 to 1.5 inch, but in my case it was 1 inch wich i am happy with.

I also got the Bilstein (sport) schocks. They also do an (HD) version but I understood that the sport shocks were more suitable with the lowering.

I have absolutely no problems with the 295 30 18 rubbing or touching, but remember that I have a C2 and not sure about you C4.

I got the shocks and springs from Automotion.com

+1 on that set up! :thumbup:

I have 19s. I dont like the ride, but they look good. Anyone know what these are. Looking for a good 18 inch wheel after these tires go bad.

ssr wheels.

to the OP, the champion rg5 wheels are great wheels and would make any 996 look better, but the tire sizes are not perfect

i have 19 in wheels and couldnt be happier

Edited by balefire

• 1 month later...

I have 19s. I dont like the ride, but they look good. Anyone know what these are. Looking for a good 18 inch wheel after these tires go bad.

These are Elite wheels, not the SSR's. I know because I have these same wheels on my 996. The SSR's have 5 extra small holes offset between the lug holes which these do not. These are now discontinued but were for sale in the past from Vertex via this link (if you are looking for the details on these) http://www.vertexauto.com/showitem.aspx?&id=208702&name=Porsche%20Elite%20Rims%2019%22x11%22%20%26%2019%22x8.5%22%20-%20Silver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i am running 19's. hankook v 12 evos, 235-35 front, 295-30 rear. ride is ok, bought the car this spring...came with the wheels, so have no comparison with 18s. had worn out michelins, so replaced with Hankook. Happy so far...4000 miles.

photo: http://www.randrmotor.com/2001_Porsche_911_369%20Bay%20Rd%20Queensbury%20_NY_147941913.veh

I am running 19s for almost a year and I have the 235s in front and 285s in the rear. I tried 305s and 295s on the rear and they just didn't fit :huh: The ride is a little harsh, but it is something I have gotten used to.

post-79468-0-98762300-1344623574_thumb.j

Hello Jimmy I am currently running 19" on my 2000 996 Carrera Tiptronic S, the ride is great no complaints over here. The handling is really good, I have not tracked my car just everyday street use so far. When I bought the car it already had 19" rims on them. If you look at my profile pic that is the car and wheels i am talking about. Now being that it is used I dont know if these rims are stock or after market, I am the 4th owner of the vehicle now. Plus after watching DIY oil change on youtube, when the guy mentions an oil pan plate cover that is installed with the x74 suspension, I wonder now does my car have an x74 suspension and if yes how do i check to see or did the previous owner only buy a plate cover for the oil pan and I have regular stock suspension. FACT: I do have 19" rims/ the car's ride is smooth and handling is good/the bumps and dips in the road dont feel harsh to the suspension. DON'T KNOW: I may or may not have the x74 suspension i am only going off of what the guy said during the DYI oil change. If you help me i maybe able to help you figure out if you really want these type of tires. I have not had any problems with them on the road dry or wet.

• 6 months later...

Not to hijack the thread ... but: I have a chance to purchase a set of wheels 18x7.5 and 18 x 9.5 respectively for almost nothing. I was thinking about using them as a secondary set for winter, etc....

I have 18x8 and 18x10 mounted on my 99 996 cab at the moment. Is the .5 in diff going to have a significant effect?

• Admin

Not to hijack the thread ... but: I have a chance to purchase a set of wheels 18x7.5 and 18 x 9.5 respectively for almost nothing. I was thinking about using them as a secondary set for winter, etc....

I have 18x8 and 18x10 mounted on my 99 996 cab at the moment. Is the .5 in diff going to have a significant effect?

That will depend on the wheel offsets.