Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Who makes the upgraded IMS Bearings other than LN Engineering?

Ive searched and still confused as there is so much debate on this!

Anyways Im not seeing much of anyone else offering upgraded bearings for these cars? Is LN Engineering the only company that offers these or is there anyone else equilvlent if not better? Also just want to confirm from what Im reading this isnt a permanent fix from what Im reading on LNE website but more of a preventive Maintenance? That goes back to when will I know this will have to be changed out again? Cant do it when my clutch goes out as its a tiptronics. Ive read even with the upgraded bearings some have still failed after a few thousand miles?!?

Im still debating if I want to hit this out in the next few months and if I do does anyone know of a shop here in the Eastbay area that is reasonable priced and can do this? Also while that is being done is there anything else that I should have them look at or replace?

Thanks in advance!

Anyways Im not seeing much of anyone else offering upgraded bearings for these cars? Is LN Engineering the only company that offers these or is there anyone else equilvlent if not better?

There has been a lengthy thread recently from a company named Casper Labs on their replacement bearing. Try seaching that name.

• Moderators

What you really need to weigh is the total number of the installed based vs. number of units that have failed. LN has by far the largest installed base, with a very small number of failures, most of which were traced to poor installation techniques or the destruction of the IMS bearing by debris from other engine component failures.

Because of the engine design, even the upgraded IMS bearing needs to be considered a “wear item” like brake pads, a water pump, or a clutch; something you expect to have to replace periodically.

Anyways Im not seeing much of anyone else offering upgraded bearings for these cars? Is LN Engineering the only company that offers these or is there anyone else equilvlent if not better?

There has been a lengthy thread recently from a company named Casper Labs on their replacement bearing. Try seaching that name.

Interesting...Thanks. There kit looks pretty good but how good are they? For $300 thats a killer deal but how long do they last is the question. If the LNE is proven than I'd rather spend the extra $300 and get that. Im just wanting to put this in and not worry about it for at least another 60k+ miles!

Im not finding a website and found the ebay listing but thats all Im seeing other than that one Renntech thread? Are they still in business?

What you really need to weigh is the total number of the installed based vs. number of units that have failed. LN has by far the largest installed base, with a very small number of failures, most of which were traced to poor installation techniques or the destruction of the IMS bearing by debris from other engine component failures.

Because of the engine design, even the upgraded IMS bearing needs to be considered a “wear item” like brake pads, a water pump, or a clutch; something you expect to have to replace periodically.

Thanks for the info! I tried reading more on it but its really hard to find any definite info on when it failed, failed to due to install, mileage, etc. I was trying to find more info on symptoms of it going bad with no luck. I guess Ill probably look into getting this done soon.

How's the installation on a tiptronic? Or is it best having this done by a professional? If so that goes back to my other question does anyone know a good reputable shop in the eastbay in Northern California who does excellent work for a reasonable price?

Pelican has a kit. Installed it in my 1999 Cab.

Yea I saw that. They sell the LNE and another kit which Im assuming is somewhat like a OE kit.

• 9 months later...

Please allow me to shed some light.

I recently had a LNE installation that went wrong, the post in the middle fell out upon installation on a 2002 Boxster S.

I found out about Casper Labs from a friend and they set me up with, I believe, better install/removal tools AND a better bearing. Apparently, they are FULL CERAMIC bearings, not just coated ceramic. They should outlast my vehicle (100,000 miles). The installation was slightly easier but what I DID NOTICE was - the bearing was noticeably smoother and 'slicker'.

Here is a Youtube video I made of BOTH bearings side-by-side. This is not a scientific test BUT IT IS EYE opening if you are in the market for an IMS:

Also, the installation on the Casper has an added benefit, the cap. You place a cap inside the IMS Shaft and that keeps debris from forming AND keeps the bearing a little better oiled. Not that it needs much. In fact, these bearings run in industrial applications that have NO OIL. The removal tool weighs just a couple pounds - not 9lbs.! The install tool is made of ceramic so it does not deform when you strike it. The instructions for the Casper bearing were FAR MORE DETAILED!

Will give you an update as the miles roll by but this may be the first time these 2 bearings have been seen together.

Did LNE stop selling their IMS bearings? LNE are no longer selling form their website.

Here are some comparison pic too…since I was one of the first to have BOTH - here are the results!

The Casper Labs bearing is on the left, LNE on the right.

post-88201-0-70692500-1364394634_thumb.j

post-88201-0-39994300-1364394636_thumb.j

post-88201-0-62648900-1364394639_thumb.j

post-88201-0-14500400-1364394645_thumb.j

post-88201-0-07963000-1364394652_thumb.j

post-88201-0-45907000-1364394665_thumb.j

post-88201-0-33125400-1364394670_thumb.j

post-88201-0-43034100-1364394680_thumb.j

A friend of mine gave me his name, Bill Ryan at Casper Labs. You will need to go through me FOR NOW since he prefers NOT to sell to the general public at this time. If it is determined you are mechanically able to perform the work...I will be happy to ensure you get an order.

Edited by Homeboy981

Interesting info and thanks for sharing. Can you please elaborate more on what went wrong? It sounds you couldn't get the LN bearing in place? Thanks.

I recently had a LNE installation that went wrong, the post in the middle fell out upon installation on a 2002 Boxster S.

This is a single row as far as I can see. Do they make dual-rows as well?

I find it strange Bill Ryan was very active on this site last spring about this forthcoming bearing initiative but then, all of a sudden, he disappeared ... until this product from his ... Casper Labs.

It certainly looks promising as a 2nd option.

The removal tool weighs just a couple pounds - not 9lbs.! The install tool is made of ceramic so it does not deform when you strike it. The instructions for the Casper bearing were FAR MORE DETAILED!

Pics of the Casper Labs Installation tools?

I find it strange Bill Ryan was very active on this site last spring about this forthcoming bearing initiative but then, all of a sudden, he disappeared ... until this product from his ... Casper Labs.

I wonder if there was any pending litigation we didn't know about?

What litigation are we talking about? You guys mean the bearing extractor??

I don't think any of us know specifically and we can only speculate. However we do know that JR has closely guarded his intellectual property and have made great efforts to patent his stuff(and even went after a few people in the process). At this point you would probably have to call the man himself over at Casper to get the low down.

Thanks, alpine. Just hope that Casper could come back here and shine some light on the latest development of his bearing kit.

What litigation are we talking about? You guys mean the bearing extractor??

I don't think any of us know specifically and we can only speculate. However we do know that JR has closely guarded his intellectual property and have made great efforts to patent his stuff(and even went after a few people in the process). At this point you would probably have to call the man himself over at Casper to get the low down.

post-88201-0-87889100-1364497917_thumb.jI was told by the man himself that he had made the decision to focus on SHOPS that do this work, NOT individuals like us. I told him that was a mistake and that the PEOPLE DESERVE to know! Hence the reason for removal from this and other Forums and EBay sales. However, IF you have enough technical expertise he WILL sell it to you, after careful, methodical explanation and discussion of the problem. If not, call me and I will order one in Single or Double Row - they are the same price - IF you can prove your ability to do the repairs.

The Casper extractor is sweet! Not anything like LNs…so much lighter and easier to use AND it has a locking nut with a cotter pin to ensure that it locks in place. So when it is ready to do the business, it is just a few easy turns and you're done. He even made me a special tool (for only $10) that will REMOVE LNE's IMS bearings.

You see, LNE uses a 'standard' (as in 'not metric') size center bolt and nut, it is larger and thicker but could be a reason why there are some that are leaking, and that is why installation recommends using Curtil (?) sealant. Of course, the Casper IMS re-uses the Porsche IMS Center Post, you pop it out of the IMS bearing (it cannot be ordered separately using the PET system) and replace the o-ring, make sure it is good and you are ready. Just stating the facts since I HAVE USED BOTH. The IMS cover is also Porsche Factory and is put on "dry".

I did not have confidence in my LNE bearing when the center post 'popped out' during installation. I called LN and they insulted my intelligence and mechanical ability. So, I ordered the Casper and have not looked back. Besides, in case you haven't seen the video, the Casper rolls MUCH BETTER...right out of the box. After oiling, it is even more slippery. In fact, the only problem I had putting it in…was trying to keep it from rolling while I was tightening it down! BTW, this bearing should outlast your car at around 100k+ mileage expectation. No more replacement at every clutch.

My LNE bearing part number is 66??….so they have sold a lot. And while the Casper sells for only $323 (for FULL CERAMIC IMS Bearing, IMS Shaft Cap-another cool feature, Syringe and VERY DETAILED instructions) AND it appears, although I'm not a Bearing Scientist, to be better all the way around! The experience with Bill was certainly better than the whole LNE deal. The tool kit (extractor, install tool) is ONLY $83!! Compare that to over twice the price for LNE's tools. Basically, the Casper is a FULL Ceramic IMS Bearing FOR THE SAME OR LESS THAN A STOCK BEARING!

What else could you want? No, I'm not putting it in for you but I have done your homework! I will try to post more pics.

post-88201-0-22470500-1364497923_thumb.j

post-88201-0-10412100-1364498049_thumb.j

post-88201-0-19161200-1364498135_thumb.j

post-88201-0-54745200-1364498146_thumb.j

post-88201-0-43262600-1364498219_thumb.j

post-88201-0-85119900-1364498231_thumb.j

post-88201-0-95627700-1364498371_thumb.j

This is a single row as far as I can see. Do they make dual-rows as well?

It certainly looks promising as a 2nd option.

Casper Labs makes single and dual row bearings - at the SAME price! He was active and decided to sell only to shops. I told him he was missing an opportunity to bring it to Forum members, but that is where he is concentrating his efforts.

This would not be a 2nd option….it SHOULD BE YOUR FIRST! Much better quality, lasts longer (coated vs. full ceramic) AND much better support! Still no one is willing to warranty the product IF YOU are installing it.

You can call Casper or myself and I will hook you up!

Mark Ingrum

972-333-6165

homeboy981@gmail.com

I am doing this to help, NOT for profit, so if/when it becomes a PITA I reserve the right to revoke my kindness.

Most of you do NOT know me here, I understand that. I have been a member of another 986Forum with around 500 posts and just thought you guys might like this information over here. I have already been 'locked out' for the problems I had there. Shame on them!

What you do with it, is of course, up to you. I was not treated fairly at the hands of a bearing company, and then, by the company that owned their "board". So that took me on a journey to find another, better bearing and company. These bearings are NOT unique to our cars. They have had industrial applications for some time. That is why the cost of said CERAMIC bearings has dropped (for some applications these bearings are only $85!!) - although the price has not dropped at the other bearing company. Why?

As I told them, "You treat someone right, they tell several people. You treat someone WRONG and they tell EVERYONE!"

Consider yourself told!

Mark,

Thanks for your feedback. I can't really blame Casper for not wanting to deal with all the headaches that might come from selling to end user or providing end user support, especially the Porsche crowd as they can be a tough bunch.

Does this in fact come with a new IMS flange? I'm sort of confused as your first set of pics shows it but your second set of pics do not.

Hi @alpine003,

By IMS flange do you mean the IMS Cover? That and the IMS center stud and o-ring are ALL Porsche Factory made. Casper only makes the IMS bearing so you have to source the following from Porsche:

IMS Cover or flange

3 micro-encapsulated bolts to hold down the IMS cover/flange

Nut to secure IMS Center Stud to IMS cover/flange

o-ring for IMS Center Stud

That's it!

Sorry everyone about the pics….I'm new and they are giving me fits! the good news is the IMS bearing is easier than these $%^*& pictures! I have a ton more too!