Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Surging revs, voltage fluctuating, instrument lights dimming

Guys,

Am having some strange issues with my 2001 Carrera4.

The car has sat for several weeks, with me starting it for a few minutes every week or two.

Now that I finally am able to drive it, I took her for a mellow ride (as opposed to driving like i stole it)

Everything seemed fine until after a few miles of driving at operating temp, several of the dash warning lights came on.

So, I drove it the few blocks back to my house... the whole time everything felt fine.

Turned the car off, checked fluids, hooked up a meter to battery. Everything looks good.

Minutes later I decided to turn her back on, and I get what is in the video linked below...

RPM is constantly surging, the voltmeter in the dash is going from about 11-11.75, several of the warning lights are on, and the instrument lights that are on will dim with the RPM surges.

After that I have noticed that with the key in the ignition, but with the car off, voltmeter shows about 11/11.5.

Check with my handheld meter on the battery it shows just above 12 volts...

Battery is about 3-4 months old.

Any pointers? I am really jonesin to drive her.

Also I should mention, I am suspicious of the accuracy of my handheld meter... it is a cheap one, and several years old.. though seems correct on my other cars.

Thanks

• Admin

Start by double checking your battery by measuring the specific gravity of each cell and a load test.

If it checks out then you are looking at an alternator or the voltage regulator on the alternator as bad.

BTW... normal charging (engine running) is about 13-14 volts.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...