Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

P2189/P2187 errors, could it be failing coils?

I have a 2004 cayenne turbo which recently had a ecu tune performed and my vehicle has been throwing the codes P2189/2187 too lean at idle bank1 and 2. I initially was also getting a code for a leak between the MAF and throttle body in which I found a cracked crankcase hose and fixed that. The codes came back and then one time it was associated with the EVAP code. So I went ahead and replaced the EVAP. The code is again coming back. I did notice that my coils are model 104.00 so they are very old and have never been changed. The car recently has also been studdering alot if the boost is increased too much which sounds like coil or spark plug problems now that the ecu tune is streessing the coils. My plan is too replace the coils and plugs with the newest ones but I was hoping someone might have some insight if the P2189/2187 code could also be related to failing coils and plugs causing a lean condition at idle. I also have had CAI on the car for over a year and never had those codes come up until recently. Thanks.

• Admin

P2187 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 1 (RKAT1) - Above Limit

P2189 Oxygen Sensing Adaptation, Idle Range, Bank 2 (RKAT2) - Above Limit

Possible fault cause

- Incorrect main charge signal

- Intake air system leaking

- Fuel pressure too low

- Volume supply of fuel pump too low

- Mechanical fault in injection valves

- PCV valve leaking

- Cap of oil filler neck leaking

- Leaks in exhaust system

- EVAP canister purge valve mechanically faulty (hangs open)

- EVAP canister purge valve output stage faults

Start with the easy ones - the oil filler cap and the PVC.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that since you just recently got a tune that maybe it could be the culprit? What company is the tune from? It could be that the extra boost from the tune caused a leak in a hose or fitting, or extra crankcase PCV pressure caused a leak?

I replaced the PVC pipe and so far no CEL codes so that must have been the problem. I am still getting rough driving since my evom tune but I think it was related to my coils. I have 59,000 miles on the car and when I removed all the coils, they are all the first gen model .00 and all had a crack going through them. I am surprised that I have not gotten a misfire code because of this yet. I have .09 coils coming tomorrow to replace them along with new spark plugs so I will see if this will ultimately fix the problem.

Loran, can you post the diagram that shows the location of the PVC valve and please indicate which number it is on the diagram?

Thanks

rob T.

What year and model? (they are different)

DOH!! 2005 - V6, those numbered diagrams are fantastic, but cannot tell what part is what just based on the number. Looking to locate the PVC valve. Think I know which one it is, but just want to verify. Got the dreaded P2187, 2189 codes too.

• Admin

Loran, can you post the diagram that shows the location of the PVC valve and please indicate which number it is on the diagram?

Thanks

rob T.

What year and model? (they are different)

DOH!! 2005 - V6, those numbered diagrams are fantastic, but cannot tell what part is what just based on the number. Looking to locate the PVC valve. Think I know which one it is, but just want to verify. Got the dreaded P2187, 2189 codes too.

Looking from the front...

post-1-0-52626900-1343658996_thumb.png

1 - Positive crankcase ventilation

2 - Secondary air valve - mechanical

3 - Sucking jet pump

4 - Positive crankcase ventilation heater

5 - Hall sensor (hidden)

5a - Hall sensor connector

6 - Oil level and temperature sensor (hidden)

7 - Throttle adjusting unit

8 - Bar ignition module - cylinder 1 (Bar ignition module 2 to 6 hidden)

Looking from the rear...

post-1-0-90726300-1343659188_thumb.png

1 - Variable-length manifold - mechanical

2 - Secondary-air solenoid valve

3 - Vacuum accumulator

4 - Solenoid valve for variable-length manifold

5 - Crankshaft sensor (hidden)

6 - Oil level and temperature sensor (hidden)

7 - Coolant temperature sensor

8 - Additional water pump

9 - Tank vent valve

10 - Secondary air valve (hidden)

11 - VarioCam solenoid valve, exhaust camshaft

12 - Exhaust camshaft hall sensor

13 - Positive crankcase ventilation

14 - VarioCam solenoid valve, inlet camshaft

15 - Inlet camshaft hall sensor

16 - Positive crankcase ventilation heater

17 - Fuel injector 6 (Fuel injector 1 to 5 hidden)

• Upvote 1

After all my investigating, I finally replaced all of my coils and plugs and the cayenne is running much better without any errors. I also have an EVOM tune and was wondering if anyone knew a way to reset the adaptation so that it will work better with the new coils and plugs.

I am starting to get some detonation issues, mainly in the mid RPM's and especially under WOT. I only have 92 octane in my area and I am wondering if my EVOM tune is too aggressive. Does anyone have experience with octane boosters and should I try one to see what happens.

Unfortunately now the car has the p2189 and p2187 codes popping up again but not other codes to go with it. I guess I still need to look for a vacumn leak but could all my problems such as detonation and rough driving under WOT along with the codes be related to a fuel system problem such as a bad filter or failing pump. I guess I may have to also have the fuel system pressure tested. Any other suggestions.

One thing I am going to do is clean the MAF's with CRC cleaner and see if this helps. I am also going to run durametric logs to check the MAF voltage to see if the MAF's are functioning properly. Does anyone happen to know what normal voltages are for cayenne turbo MAF's. Thanks.

• 8 years later...