Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does a hardtop turn my Cabriolet into a Coupe?

Hi,

I have a '99 C4 Cabriolet at 75k and I am in love with it. I bought it in the beginning of this summer. In Istanbul we have 4 seasons and winter is getting close. I am planing to buy a hardtop. I just want to learn how it affects the cars performance (balance etc.) and is it (maybe) a solution for the weird bird noises coming from the back seats?.

Thanks..

Exectly

Perhaps he means the rigidity of the car? No sure about the bird noises either.

Exactly Dammad, I mean the rigidity and the silence... And by ''bird noises'' what i mean is i constantly hear some noises like -i don't know how to explain it but- high pitch weird noise coming from the back seats... First I thought it is the tent but later I founded out it is coming from somewhere between the seats and I thought if i but a hardtop on it (maybe) decrease the flexibility of the car and somehow I get rid of that noise..

• Moderators

As a hardtop is not bolted or welded completely to the chassis or body it will have no effect on the stiffness of the car, in other words, the car remains the same stiffness maintained with or without hardtop. What concerns the bird noise, i would suggest to put yourself on the back seat and let someone else drive, that offers more possibilities to detect the source of the noise.

As a hardtop is not bolted or welded completely to the chassis or body it will have no effect on the stiffness of the car, in other words, the car remains the same stiffness maintained with or without hardtop. What concerns the bird noise, i would suggest to put yourself on the back seat and let someone else drive, that offers more possibilities to detect the source of the noise.

Squeeking sounds often come from leather or vinyl rubbing against other plastic,vinyl or leather surfaces. A little leather or vinyl conditioner will make those parts less dry and could eliminate the squeeks you're hearing.

Yes a Hardtop turns a cab into a coupe and your seat cushions become flotation devices. :cheers:

Not really but mine is like having two different cars. The hardtop is quieter and has a little more headroom.

There are threads about eliminating the squeaking sounds (maybe a TSB as well). You will like the hardtop - it makes it seem like a different car. Sorry I can't explain it better than that, but I think most cab owners will agree.

Hard top is definitely quieter, and keeps out those annoying intermittent drips during downpours. It will also improve visability. A suggestion you also might want to think about is investing in the hanging gear and an electric winch. Makes installing and removing a one person operation, plus you can store it by hanging it from the ceiling in your garage when not in use. Definitely worth the price.

• 2 months later...

I have 2000 carrera cab with hard top. Hard top can be removed and installed by one person with ceiling rack. THere are three profiles: soft top up; top down; and, hard top on (and coupe). Believe the hard top installed profile makes the car the best looking of the four views (in fact, Porsche made hard top coupe version in the 1960s). Definitely is a quieter and sturdier feeling ride. My car is silver with black interior and black soft top. I'm considering painting the hard top black color to make it a two toned car. This gives the hard top owner more flexibility in personalizing the looks of the car.

I can relate to the noise he hears. For me it was the rubber edge of the convertible rag top rubbing against the top of the clam shell every time i went over small bumps. I put a piece of velcro( only the carpet side) on the rubber edge to minimize the rubbing effect/noise.

• 1 year later...

There exists (at least) two different connection mechanisms for 996 / 997 hardtop. The older and possibly noisier version is a bayonet kind of mechanism, the newer and quieter is a screw based mechanism. Please have a look at the PDF on this message.

In case your car has the older connection mechanism and you are suffering of noises, you can consider upgrading all four connection pieces in your car and hardtop to the newer version.

One option for the upgrade is here: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK997HTM.html . The price currently is sky high, I think I paid something like $300 a year ago.

PS. I have an extra pair with new locking mechanism for a hardtop.

Carrera__996__Modified_Rear_Hardtop_Locking_Mechanism.pdf

One more thing. When you install your hardtop, diligently check that it does not grind against your car and mess up with your paint. Some people have had a nasty surprise the next summer when they remove their hardtop.