Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Exhaust System Upgrade suggestion(s) for 997.1

Recently I have been thinking of an exhaust system upgrade for my 2005 997 C2S which I have been driving for quite some time. Can any of you guy help by suggestion on this issue? My 997 is basically standard apart from a set of BBS forged wheels. I am hunting for something that product nicer sound plus hopefully better flow and performance. Any experience and suggestions on where to shop, please reply.

Edited by eso1968

Wow... Too bad nobody has responded to this.. For an exhaust on a Carrera you have lots of choices. Youy can spend as much as you want.. Fabspeed makes a great exhaust for the Carrera. So do many others..Tubi. Tech Art, Speed tech, GMG, etc. Just realize you are spending A LOT of money and you will not see any measurable HP gains on a normally aspirated car. I have a friend who has the stock exhaust on his 997 4S. Instead of an exhaust system he installed the K & N intake..The sound is awesome and MUCH less expensive than an exhaust system. He also feels a liitle power improvement around 5000 rpm..

Do some research. You can try the K & N intake.. Pretty easy install.. You have to drill one hole.. If you don't like it you can always go back to stock and only be out a couple hundred bucks (instead of thousands.)

Edited by phillipj

Nice advise philipj. I too was thinking of an exhaust upgrade for my 08C2S but thought that was a nice amount of money to invest for more noise. I still have a CPO so the K & N intake wouldn't hurt warranty you think?

Tony

Wow... Too bad nobody has responded to this.. For an exhaust on a Carrera you have lots of choices. Youy can spend as much as you want.. Fabspeed makes a great exhaust for the Carrera. So do many others..Tubi. Tech Art, Speed tech, GMG, etc. Just realize you are spending A LOT of money and you will not see any measurable HP gains on a normally aspirated car. I have a friend who has the stock exhaust on his 997 4S. Instead of an exhaust system he installed the K & N intake..The sound is awesome and MUCH less expensive than an exhaust system. He also feels a liitle power improvement around 5000 rpm..

Do some research. You can try the K & N intake.. Pretty easy install.. You have to drill one hole.. If you don't like it you can always go back to stock and only be out a couple hundred bucks (instead of thousands.)

Thx, this is a good suggestion. I will search for the intake to see. Thankyou

On the web, I read they don't make any for 3.8L porsche engines

I noticed that too. K&N only lists an intake for the 3.6L GT3. Maybe that version will fit on the S and non-S 997.1, but the K&N intake will not mate with the the duct in the rear deck because the shape and loction are different. Because of that mis-match, the K&N would suck in hot air from the engine compartment as well as some of the cooler air from the duct. As you know, the snorkel on the stock factory airbox mates directly with the duct and draws only outside air. Cool air provides better performance than hot air.

I don't doubt that this type of intake changes the sound of the air intake system, which is an integral component of the 997's roar. It might even slightly improve the torque and HP at higher RPMs - if it is neatly connected to the duct in the rear deck.

The dimensions of the airbox, the size of the inlet opening(s), and the size of snorkel(s) are directly related to the volume of fresh air needed to produce the desired engine characteristics (torque, HP, sound, etc.). Likewise, the factory exhaust system is sized to match the volume of combustion gases. Neither the intake system or the exhaust system were intentionally undersized if they we properly designed to produce Porsche's desired engine characteristics.

Reducing flow restrictions in both the intake and the exhaust can result in measurable improvements (20 to 30 HP) although it is an expensive path to take ($5 to $6K). The engine characteristics (torque, HP, and sound) can be improved by increasing the dimensions and efficiency of the intake system (airbox, air filter, throttle body, plenum) and increasing the dimensions and efficiency of the exhaust system (headers, cats, mufflers). Enabling the engine to suck in more fresh air and to blow out more exhaust seems to improve the torque, HP, and sound of these engines.

Thanks for the input. I will probably just hang tight for now as I just installed new carrera 2 classic mags and four new Michelin pilot sport cup n2 tires. I will be storing the car in a few weeks and decide what to do next year. thanks again for the note..

Everyone I have every spoken to (Dealers, P Car specialty shops) all say the say thing. Intakes do nothing for the car other than they sound nice. Porsche already designs the car with a cold air intake.

This past spring, my left cat failed. It was almost as much to replace an OEM cat as it was to install two Fabspeed 200 cell sport cats, so I did. Had to get the ECU flashed by Softtronics because of the check engine light I kept getting. Sounds great without the annoying drone. Now I'm not a believer in horsepower gains from these modes, but the car is noticeably quicker, especially on the track.

Eso1968, If you're going to mod the exhaust, I would take this route.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone I have every spoken to (Dealers, P Car specialty shops) all say the say thing. Intakes do nothing for the car other than they sound nice. Porsche already designs the car with a cold air intake.

This past spring, my left cat failed. It was almost as much to replace an OEM cat as it was to install two Fabspeed 200 cell sport cats, so I did. Had to get the ECU flashed by Softtronics because of the check engine light I kept getting. Sounds great without the annoying drone. Now I'm not a believer in horsepower gains from these modes, but the car is noticeably quicker, especially on the track.

Eso1968, If you're going to mod the exhaust, I would take this route.

Good luck

Hi JFERR,

thanks for your reply. May I ask what kind of indication will it give when you have a fault cat? I need to make sure that the after market exhaust / cat can pass our tight government annual emission test when I renew my registration.

How does this Fabspeed 200 cell sport cats sound like and how much do they cost?

eso1968,

I didn't see the indication personally, my dealer did. He said it had to do with the difference between the sensor at the CATS and the sensor somewhere in the engine. We cleared the fault several times, but it kept coming back.

I don't remember the exact amount, but it was about $2,200 for the CATS installed on the East Coast. The ECU flash was $1,000. The flash was done by Softtronics.

The CATS have a nice deep sound. Like a GT3, but not as loud. The horsepower gain is very noticable, so is the fuel milage decline.

Yes I'm sure my buddy installed the K & N on his 3,8. I didn't say that the intake would create HP gains.. Maybe on the butt dyno at 5k rpm. It's the sound that is so sweet. I had a Fabspeed system (mufflers, cats and ECU tune) on my 99 Carrera and loved it. The best sounding Porsche I have ever owned.

I was just saying before you spend thousands it might be a good idea to try the intake..

Edited by phillipj

Nice advise philipj. I too was thinking of an exhaust upgrade for my 08C2S but thought that was a nice amount of money to invest for more noise. I still have a CPO so the K & N intake wouldn't hurt warranty you think?

Tony

Tony, That depends on your dealer.. Some are more mod friendly than others.. Run it by your service manager and see how he reacts..

And don't rule out the "Fister mod" to your exiating exhaust. Very inexpensive and sounds like the Porsche Sport exhaust (which is obscenely expensive now.)

Do a search here on "Fister mod"..

Edited by phillipj

Thanks Philipj. I did a search and Googled FD Motorsports. Definitely much less than the PSE system with like results. I'd like to go that route but don't want the Fister mod to drowned out my passenger conversations either. What's your opinion on that happening?

Tony

Thanks Philipj. I am ordering the Fister units at $265.00 for the pair and am picking them up next week while visiting my daughter in Berkeley. Will install when I get back. Also just a note about Darwin at FD Motorsports and he said to just send him my originals when I am done, no core charge required. Now that's a trusting guy, not too many out there like that...

Guys,

Thx for all your replies. I ended up doing it the more economical way by buying the silicon intake pipe + the BMC filter kit to see. Have yet to install it later to compare.

On the other hand, I have another question, did 997.1 came in with an optional sport exhaust when it was launched? This is because I know the previous owner has kept everything standard always but I have noticed that my exhaust sound a bit different compares to most 997.1 C2S I have seen.

Thx

Sport exhaust is marked as XLF in the option list

You also have a small and a big exhaust pipe on each side

Most important you have button on the dashboard to bypass part of the exhaust muffler ( looks like 2 exhaust pipes)

Exhaust make more noise when they become older

Can also be that your exhaust is not stock anymore

• 3 weeks later...

Voice of reason here... Haha. I have an awesome sounding aftermarket exhaust as well as many people I know. Sounds great! But.... For some reason we all have issues, when in Sport mode, and when just starting to accelerate away quickly, we all now experience a bad really quick stutter. Its like the MAF gets too much air and kills the throttle for a split second. Its ANNOYING!

So sometimes you gain sound but screw up drivablity. Do a search for Carrera S accelration stutter or miss and see how many people have this issue. You'll notice quickly that the common denominator is aftermarket exhaust.

I have a full AWE header and exhaust kit, sounds great, no drone at all, wicked at full acceleration, but now have the annoying stutter that Ive learned to drive around.

• 4 weeks later...

Before I further consider changing the exhaust system for my 997.1 C2S, I have taken advise from the forum by installing a set of those silicon airbox induction pipe along with a BMC filter at reasonable cost.

For the results, I have the following comments. In terms of sound, I can't really notice much difference but in terms of low revs torque and throttle response, yes it seems to have improved quite a bit. I have yet to try higher revs response when I get a chance.

I recently bought a 997.1 C2S that has a standard exhaust system which has been modified with the addition of some bypass tubes.

Basically a link pipe of approximately 40mm diameter has been welded in between the input and output pipes on both rear silencers just a few centimeters before the pipes attach to the silencer boxes. Obviously holes need to be cut in the pipes to allow the gas flow through the bypass tubes

The sound is amazing !!!

I've owned many Porsches, Ferrari's, Lotus etc and this is undoubtedly the nicest sounding car I've ever had. Everyone who has heard this car since I bought it agrees. It's a cheap and relatively easy modification with incredible results.

I'll try to post a video on youtube and you can hear for yourself.

I recently bought a 997.1 C2S that has a standard exhaust system which has been modified with the addition of some bypass tubes.

Basically a link pipe of approximately 40mm diameter has been welded in between the input and output pipes on both rear silencers just a few centimeters before the pipes attach to the silencer boxes. Obviously holes need to be cut in the pipes to allow the gas flow through the bypass tubes

The sound is amazing !!!

I've owned many Porsches, Ferrari's, Lotus etc and this is undoubtedly the nicest sounding car I've ever had. Everyone who has heard this car since I bought it agrees. It's a cheap and relatively easy modification with incredible results.

Thx for your info. Will you be able to post a photo to share with us? This sounds like an interesting modification.

Edited by eso1968

The sound is amazing !!!

Thx for your info. Will you be able to post a photo to share with us? This sounds like an interesting modification.

Here's a link to a short clip on Youtube which will give you an idea of the sound. I'll take some pictures of the modification and post them up at the weekend.