Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 air box retrofit to C2 3.6L 996

I know that it is a popular modification to retrofit the 997 air box to a 996, but after having done much research there are some questions that I still need help with. Maybe someone on the site who has done this mod will be able to help me. I want to do this mod, the 997 air box looks so much better and easier to keep clean. I have a 2002 996 C2 convertible. My dealer can't help, he just said that 'there's no way that a 997 air box could be fitted to a 996'!

question 1 - are all 997 air boxes the same? Ive been looking on e-bay and there seems to be a number of different different part numbers for 997 air boxes. Can anyone tell me what 997 air box part numbers will fit my car?

question 2 - is the 997 3.8 air box the same as the 997 3.6 air box? Obviously the text on the badge is different, but are there any other differences? I have seen plenty of photos on the web of 3.8 air boxes fitted to 3.6 996's so I guess it must be possible to use the 3.8 air box. I have read where people have had problems with alignment of the fixing bolt - does this relate to use of the 3.8 air box?

question 3 - Is the rubber hose from the air box to the throttle body different on a 3.8? I figured that maybe the throttle body diameter may be larger on a 3.8 and therefore would not be a direct fit to a 3.6 throttle body. Can the existing rubber hose from my 996 be used with a 997 air box?

I know that the air pump may need to be moved, I don't see this as an issue - but I really don't want to buy an air box that won't fit my car.

Any replies would be really appreciated!

Paul G

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have any pictures fo this retrofit?

I ask as our new to us 2000 has a K&n CAI setup and I want to put the factory air box back into it, but if the 997 fits and is "better" I'll do that instead if I'm going to have to purchase all lof this

thank you

Edited by kts

The change over is really only cosmetic, no real functional difference.

There is one difference on the 3.8 box, it has a vacuum operated flap that the 996 3.4 does not. I know this because I have a 3.8 box that I bought a couple of years ago still sitting in my work room (along with several other mods I have not gotten around to). I am still trying to decide whether to have this flap fix open or closed for the install. On a 3.8 there must be a change over switch controlled by the ECU.

The change over is really only cosmetic, no real functional difference.

There is one difference on the 3.8 box, it has a vacuum operated flap that the 996 3.4 does not. I know this because I have a 3.8 box that I bought a couple of years ago still sitting in my work room (along with several other mods I have not gotten around to). I am still trying to decide whether to have this flap fix open or closed for the install. On a 3.8 there must be a change over switch controlled by the ECU.

thanks, I found a 996 air box pretty reasonable (ok cheap) but that 997 does look much nicer, so I'm going to search around some more, btw, is the silver part where it says Porsche 3.8, metal? or just a coated plastic?

looking at ours again I see the air horn going to the trunk says AEM on it, the air tube to intake says K&N here is a pic of ours I took this AM

post-85514-0-92204800-1352897751_thumb.j

Edited by kts

• 2 weeks later...

Yes KTS it's metal

thank you, still looking for a 997 air box, I would love to see one up close, and see how that metal strip is attached, , being the can;t leave well enough alone type, if I do go the 997 route, I would make a piece of stainless or aluminum that still says Prosche and omit the engine size, or put it correct for my (oops HER) car <g>

• 2 weeks later...

What is a reasonable price to pay for a used air box?

I have no idea what one is worth, have not had the time to look, which brings up antoher question, where is a good place to find parts for a 996, I found LA porsche dismantlers and dc auto

There are three of them on eBay now with starting prices of $20, $99 and $349. I would not count on getting one at the low price. I have one from a 3.8S that I will sell for $200, assume about $25 for shipping. It does not weigh much but they are pretty big.

Hi bro, I have one 997 3.6 for sale , shoot me an offer.

What is a reasonable price to pay for a used air box?

I have no idea what one is worth, have not had the time to look, which brings up antoher question, where is a good place to find parts for a 996, I found LA porsche dismantlers and dc auto