Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Name That Part...

I apologize for all these questions. I read my owner's manual, but didn't see an answer to the following:

1. I removed the tail light assemblies to Rhino glue the eyelet attaching tabs the the 2 mounting screws secure the tail light assembly. On the left side there was a Stainless Steel cable that came up through the tail light cavity floor. Is this a mechanical cable to open the engine lid? However the engine lid needs to be open to get to the 2 machine screws>

post-85466-0-57688900-1352606877.jpg

2. I removed the plastic cover (approx 3"X10") that is on the right hand side of the trunk shelf. There's nutin' there, is the box for some electrical accessory that I don't have?

Thanks for your help, I'm trying to get up to speed on my new car.

• Admin

1. Yeah, those taillight holdowns are known to crack and or break off. The cable is the emergency rear lid release. Most folks re-route to a place under the bumper where you can actually get to it if the rear latch fails.

2. If you are talking about the front trunk under the plastic cover near the windshield - that is fresh air in and access to the pollen filter.

Thanks Loren for the quick reply... Has anyone come up with a fix for the tail light hold down tabs. I thought you could pop rivet an aluminum tab, but the angles of the lens body might make that difficult? The tabs glued up well so for now they're in good shape. But that will be a future project to clean that up...

Should I have a pollen filter in the body cavity? I see there's a stud at the bottom of the box, but there is also some electrical components on the side. I know my "84" Turbo Look backwards and forwards, but the 996 is a whole different animal. I'm loving the car, the engine and tranny are as smooth as silk, plus it's fast...

I appreciate your help!

JudgeJon, Are you saying that the cable I have in place is not factory stock. I didn't try and pull on the cable to see if it released the engine lid when I had the tail light assembly off the car. I'll go back and check out the cable to be sure it's ready to go if need be...

Now it's a 1,000', no more 1/4 mile.

Loren said this was the "pollen filter" receptacle. Receptacle is probably not the correct nomenclature for this, but here's a pix. My box is empty, should there be something in there? Or is this an accessory that I don't have?

post-85466-0-72919000-1352868469_thumb.j

• Admin

Loren said this was the "pollen filter" receptacle. Receptacle is probably not the correct nomenclature for this, but here's a pix. My box is empty, should there be something in there? Or is this an accessory that I don't have?

That is in front of the area where the pollen filter is. The pollen filter is here.

post-1-0-93704000-1352869291.jpg

Sorry, hard to get a reference point in the image - perhaps a little further back for another image?

Thanks Loren... is the filter washable or it needs replacing depending on the car's environment? Good information... I'll reply with a larger pix of the "box". Sort of reminds me of the "smuggler's box" in my 911. This box is about 1' ahead of the pollen filter and has a ribbed plastic cover over the opening with a single M/S that holds the lid in place.

BTW, your car looks well maintained...