Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Window regulator

I am going to attempt to replace the window regulators on my 99 996 coupe.I can hear the motor run when I depress the momentary switch, so I am assuming it is just the regulator assembly sans motor. Will know more when I remove the panel.My question is... Are URO regulators good?I found the genuine replacement regulator for approx. $250.00.Another is offered new by URO that is only $110.00, thru AutohausAZ. I realize it is always better to go with OEM but I am one of those "blue collar" guys that snuck in to the Porsche fraternity by picking up the unpopular 996 for a fraction of what they cost new. So, I pretty much can't just get OEM when something that is just as good is offered by another mfg. for less.If you have installed the URO's, let me know how they worked out.Appreciate it.

I have not had any experience with URO regulators but they sure seem to make a lot of Euro car parts. I would try it. Even if it only lasts 1/2 as long you are still ahead of the game.

For that matter, how great was the original if you (and it seems many others) are replacing it/them? Porsche does not make the stock one. Who does? Is it Bosch? URO?

I couldn't find any derogatory comments on the URO's quality, fit and function so I ordered

one for the driver's side.

The passenger side is starting to act up a bit. If this one works, I do the other side.

Edited by Rapewta

I just installed a URO parts regulator I located on eBay last week; $110 and free shipping. The seller was BMA auto parts. The URO parts regulator looked identical to the Porsche part, and so far works the same as the original functioning Porsche regulator.

It solved the typical problem where the window does not lower down when you try to close the door, and causes the window to hit the roofline. But I could force the window down if I pushed down on the top of the opened window, then closed the door.

A couple of words of caution, 1). if you re connect the battery with the airbag disconnected you will trigger an airbag warning light. I have a durametric so I cleared it. 2). The regulator itself is a flimsy thing with fragile plastic parts. Be careful taking it out of the bag and box, and then again fitting it inside the door cavity. Once it's installed inside the door it's fine.

Lastly, these regulators are also used in Boxsters. There is a lower limit stop that needs to be removed from the front track. If you don't remove it the window will not lower down all the way.

Normally I enjoy working on my car, but this job sucked.

Thanks for the "tribal knowledge" on the regulator replacement.The regulator hasn't arrived yet. I guess taking the panel and moisture barrier off can be tricky.I got a set of the plastic prying tools for panel removal.I have read as much as I could find on the replacment here on this site and in the Bentley'sservice manual. The first time doing some of these repairs do "suck".

Along this topic line, I'm in the process of replacing an inner door latch in the pass. door of my 00 C2 Coupé. After I removed the door panel, I realized that someone had been there before me (I'm 4th owner) and basically tore apart the liner in many places and tried to put it back together with, you guessed it, gun tape: It didn't work so well!Since I can't re-use it, I ordered one from a Porsche Indie in Vancouver, BC. It will cost me $90 Cdn. Because the vapor barrier/liner was in such bad shape, water got in on the speaker board and that is not in great shape either in addition to speaker rusty screws. I could not find a replacement board anywhere so I'll have to make one up likely. Not sure what material!?Martin

I got my window regulator from "Siera Madre Collection" just because they were local (SoCal) to me and I had a chance got meet the staff. It is an aftermarket product, but unfortunatly I don't remember who makes it.

BTW, I noticed during the summer time that when I would roll down the windows it would occatoinaly "catch" the weather stripping and "roll" it under itself. I now clay bar and use JetSeal 109 everytime I detail the car.

If you haven't already replaced your regulator here is a photo of where the door panel fasteners are, that way you don't have to "fish" around in there with your panel popper.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee384/ndasgruv/Porsche%20996/IMG_09382_zps8bf58dae.jpg

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

I got the regulator in and all is well.I have got to give the Porsche repair shops some props.This was a job that required (first timer) a lot of adjustments.To the mechainic in the shop, it is routine. To me it was 8 hours of trying to get everythingright. Their is caster, camber and toe-in on these anomalys.If you are considering replacing a regulator or motor for the window on your 996, do the "search" herethoroughly. The tips and tricks with the TSB or service manual are invaluable.I want a 1965 Corvette so bad. Plugs, points, cap and rotors and... yeah you are on the road.New cars are very complex. Everything is supervised by electronics.I kept waiting for the side air-bag to blow up in my face.Anyway... the passenger side is acting up and I am going to put a piece of tape over the up-down switch that says... if you push this button, I will kill you.

I need to spend a bit more time adjusting mine too. Close enough for now What a procedure!

But I think it will help in the future to mark with a sharpie the glass holders' outline on the window before you unbolt the glass from the regulator

• 3 weeks later...

I broke a couple plastic pieces doing this job.

The door courtesy light fixture pops off from the clear end, not the end with the red tint.

The interior cable for opening the door has a 90 degree end that snaps into a small nylon female fitting that

I broke because I had rotated it 180 degrees from it's normal position.

The first time I opened the door from the inside.... snap! Broke it.

In the exploded view of the panel for the driver's side, it is part #19.

Hey Loren...

I got the fastening clip prt# 99950756840 for the actuator cable. Ref. Bentley's Doors and Locks 57-5.

My problem is, does it latch on the cable's 90 degree fitting "up or down". If I break this one I will know but

I hate going all the out to Rocklin for a $2.80 part. I don't really want to take the passenger side panel off to check it out but I will if I have too.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Rapewta