Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Let me know what you think of these symptoms

Yesterday, driving home from work, I was at lights and turned right, accelerating very moderately. I felt vibration coming out of bottom of car, felt kind of under the center console, middle of car.

Thought nothing of it.

Later, driving to gym, accelerated and felt thuding noise from same area (acceleration was faster this time). Seems to do this every time I accelerate.

Later yet, driving back, I tried and it seemed not to be doing that under similar acceleration, however, due to having to do an errand, drove again, and tried to duplicate.

This time, it was doing it under lesser acceleration.

Today, on the way to work, same, starts happening under smaller acceleration and i can feel it.

Have a lot of questions, but will start with:

1. what do you think it is?
  2. can the car be still driven in such condition if not accelerating harder? I am talking a week or two?
  3. what is the risk of getting stranded if not fixed immediately?

Will ask other questions after responses, so that I do not taint the thread with my views.

Thanks.

Edited by ciaka

Planning to do that tonite.

Yes, the CTT does have the Cardan Shaft and it has not been replaced yet. I was holding out on putting my views on these symptoms so that I do not taint people's opinions.

Can anyone address the questions I posted above too? Thanks.

#2 - I wouldn't. The driveshaft flopping around under the car isn't something that's good for the car. It possibly could cause wear on the bearings of the transmission and drive, or it could just bang up the sheet metal under the car.

Park it until it can be replaced.

OK. I went under the car. Crawled under it and pressed the shaft near the joint and support. I see play of at least an inch - when pressing up or sideways. What do you recommend now?

- what is cheapest place to get shaft from?

- any shafts that are more durable?

- what will I need to replace - assume the shaft, the joint support and the flex disc? Can you confirm?

- anything special about rplacement? Should be fine with raising suspension and turn the wrench?

Thanks

Edited by ciaka

is it better to get a new shaft or is a rebuilt one OK? They all seem to come with the flex disc, the shaft and joint support.

There is a web site vertexauto.com which has rebuilt one for about 390 and a new one for about 530. all free shipping (3day).

Is the VW way a cheaper way? How would the shafts compare?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Vertexauto.com is a great place to get a rebuilt shaft. Also be sure to buy a new guido (flex disk). They will give you a warranty (i used the warranty and they were great to work with). Easy to change if you are mechanically inclinded. A helper is also a plus.

Not afraid to do this on my own. Spending some time and making sure the job is done with proper care is more important to me than dropping car of at a shop and praying that they do not assign some wannabe apprentice to do the jo.

I have worked on numerous cars and swapped multiple parts, except major engine or tranny work (major PITA and time consuming).

So I will be doing this no problem, and will see if I feel to do a DIY for this specific repair to post.

Why is the swap of the flex disc necessary? A place I inquired wrt shafts told me they have not seen a bad one yet from their 20 or so experience with the car. It is a thick (rubber?) disc and does not seem to be damaged (unless it gets damaged due to exposure to environment/heat and becomes brittle).

Vertexauto.com is a great place to get a rebuilt shaft. Also be sure to buy a new guido (flex disk). They will give you a warranty (i used the warranty and they were great to work with). Easy to change if you are mechanically inclinded. A helper is also a plus.

The Flex discs can get soft and cracked from Exposure/Time/Heat. BMW and many other manufacturers use a similar design and recommend to replace the Flex disc when replacing the drive shaft. Just like the rubber in the Center Support Bearing, the Rubber in the flex disc can go bad.

Why is the swap of the flex disc necessary? A place I inquired wrt shafts told me they have not seen a bad one yet from their 20 or so experience with the car. It is a thick (rubber?) disc and does not seem to be damaged (unless it gets damaged due to exposure to environment/heat and becomes brittle).

I did not replace the fex disc the first time and had trouble with the replacement shaft - it eventually failed in about 6 months. I contacted vertex and they said I should have replaced the flex disc at the same as the shaft and i think the online warrenty statement said that at the time i had the failure (i don't remember that language in the warranty at the time i first bought the replacement shaft). Regardless of when the warranty language was changed (if it ever was changed) they honored their warranty and sent me a new replacement shaft and I bought a new flex disc to go with it. I did not want to do the job twice and would have bought the new flex disc at the time i bought the first shaft if they had advised me to do so. In any event, i installed the the new flex disc and replacement shaft and it has been great from the first mile.

I would buy the replacement flex disc if I were you. Do it once and be done with it. THe flex disc is easy to change since you are right there.

Good luck with the replacement. It really is a very easy job.

Thanks. That is exactly why I was asking about the disc. I know the companies tell you many things you need, but it is often not clear reasons why. So I was hoping to get feedback from those who actually were in situations, and thanks for the input. I will make sure to have the disc changed too. Maybe can get a nice DIY write up from it too if I feel like it. Thanks again.

I did not replace the fex disc the first time and had trouble with the replacement shaft - it eventually failed in about 6 months. I contacted vertex and they said I should have replaced the flex disc at the same as the shaft and i think the online warrenty statement said that at the time i had the failure (i don't remember that language in the warranty at the time i first bought the replacement shaft). Regardless of when the warranty language was changed (if it ever was changed) they honored their warranty and sent me a new replacement shaft and I bought a new flex disc to go with it. I did not want to do the job twice and would have bought the new flex disc at the time i bought the first shaft if they had advised me to do so. In any event, i installed the the new flex disc and replacement shaft and it has been great from the first mile.

I would buy the replacement flex disc if I were you. Do it once and be done with it. THe flex disc is easy to change since you are right there.

Good luck with the replacement. It really is a very easy job.

LOL! Just to be sure to stay on the good side of the Sopranos, it is called a "guibo" coupling or disc. I have replaced a number of those on my '71 BMW 2002.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

Lol...when I read it I did too think it was oddly named and some Italian enthusiast would raise up his hand to maybe correct.

.... Also be sure to buy a new guido (flex disk).....

LOL! Just to be sure to stay on the good side of the Sopranos, it is called a "guibo" coupling or disc. I have replaced a number of those on my '71 BMW 2002. Regards, Maurice.

Ordered my parts and going to do the job soon, but still getting split info on the flex disc. A shaft shop I spoke to said the disc is made of a very hard rubberized material with special mesh in it to prevent failures, and as a result almost never needs replacement. Just wanted to see what others say on this matter. I will be replacing mine regardless, just wanted to get more input on it for future use.