Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2002-996-C4. The air bag light is on but no fault codes. I spent time with my local dealer(who was very nice) after checking with PIWIS no answer to why the light was on. I have the Durametric pro and get same results. Light on but no faults. The dealer said that everything checks okay and they don't know why. Anybody else ever have this same problem.

• Moderators

You try removing the battery ground for 10 min?

Not sure what that will accomplish as disconnecting the battery has never been able to clear air bag MIL's in these cars..............

I have to agree with Loren on this one, it does not make sense; you should not be able to trip the air bag MIL without some event that a good scanner would see. But I would also do an electrical systems test (battery load test, alternator output, etc.) as strange voltage excursions can trigger MIL's that are not real.

• Moderators

Well if there is truly no fault then the light wouldn't return with the battery reset, no?

No, not necessarily. In this case, there is something unusual as neither a PIWIS or Durametric system see any faults or codes, so there are none to "reset". Unhooking the battery does remove any chance of collecting any data stored in the system; and, in any case, you have never been able to reset an airbag MIL by disconnecting the battery on one of these cars.

My airbag light was on for over two years and I avoided it. The inexpensive OBD II hand-held I own would not clear it.

Last week, I took the car in for an unrelated issue and the tech cleared the light while working on the car.

No charge. It hasn't come back after driving the car approx. 100 miles.

• Moderators

Very few systems can reset the airbag MIL in these cars, the PIWIS and Durametric are the most common useful tools. Airbag codes are sometimes "ghost codes", meaning they are triggered by a false reading rather than a true event, so clearing the code and waiting to see if it comes back is an advisable step.

• 7 months later...

I am having the same issue. (02-996-cabrio), My Durametric reader used to show codes 47-49, and used to allow for the codes to be cleared, but no longer shows codes or turns off the airbag failure light. Has anyone had any success re-installing the Durametric software? Any other new ideas? Thanks.

• Admin

I am having the same issue. (02-996-cabrio), My Durametric reader used to show codes 47-49, and used to allow for the codes to be cleared, but no longer shows codes or turns off the airbag failure light. Has anyone had any success re-installing the Durametric software? Any other new ideas? Thanks.

Fault codes 47, 48, 49, 51
Passenger's belt buckle
Possible cause of fault
- Incorrect coding
- Short circuit to B+/ground or open circuit in the wiring between the passenger's belt buckle and the airbag triggering unit
- Passenger's belt buckle faulty
- Triggering unit for airbag faulty
Note!
- If the fault memory is cleared, the ignition must be switched off, the ignition key removed and the ignition switched on again in order to check the fault path. Only in this way is another self-test carried out.
- When the coding is changed in the menu item "Change coding", the ignition must always be switched off afterwards and the key removed.
- After the ignition is switched on again, the new coding from the airbag triggering unit is updated and the stored faults can be erased.

There are two TSBs for your car regarding this issue. You have several associated fault codes 47. 48, 49, 51 as per the TSBs. You will have to cross reference your VIN to the TSB to get the correct parts. Either way looks like you will have to replace the passengers side belt buckle and harness/ground with connectors from Porsche.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=224

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=download&do=confirm_download&id=655

Edited by binger

I checked the TSB and re-ran the short test with the Durametric reader. I get Current Fault Code 49, but it is shown under the Alarm I32 module and says "K lead", Status: Not Present. By contrast, the Airbag B05 module neither shows "No Faults Found, or any codes at all. The Air bag failure warning light continues to come on at start-up. Is this the same condition described in the TSB? If so, it looks like a new passenger seat belt is warranted, and seems within my mechanical capability. However, as I've been reading, could this simply be the result of something getting wet and not allowing the Airbag B05 module to be checked? Thanks.

Current Fault Code 49 is exactly what Porsche points out. Have you checked and confirmed your VIN to the TSB? On page #2 Porsche give a range of VIN #s for measure A. On page #8 Porsche give a range of VIN #s for measure B. If your car fits in the VIN range I would say you’re a in need of what Porsche telling you to replace. If you want to prove the buckle you can use a simulator to bypass the failed buckle. However according to the TSB the connectors, power harness and ground harness also have an issue. If your not comfortable working on complex electrical components. I would leave it to a professional that works on airbag systems. If you do the repair yourself please remember. Before working on any SRS system (Airbag) remove the negative terminal side on the battery and wait at least 15 minutes for the capacitor to fully bleed off power.

Edited by binger

YES indeed, regarding the battery disconnect and wait period prior to starting! I find my VIN: S652389 falls directly into the measure B procedure for Code 49, the passenger side belt. I see lots of listings for buckle assemblies, but nothing for the 000.043.206.06 Service Set which I presume I will need. Any ideas where I can get one? Thanks.

Your car should already have the up-graded grounds and gold contact seat belt buckle contacts.

I would start by inspecting and cleaning the seat belt buckle contacts and connectors with good quality electronic contact cleaner.

Loren knows Porsche cars better than anyone here. As he said start with cleaning the seat belt buckle contacts and connectors with good quality electronic contact cleaner. Also check your grounds. Then clear the codes. If the system dose not throw any codes your good to go. If you do throw any codes the female side buckle would be the next suspect. If you want to prove it you can make yourself a simulator with 2.5 ohm resister see picture. Unplug the belt buckle connecter and jump the pins on the harness side. This will simulate a good know buckle. Now try to clear the codes with your Durametric. If that works you have proven the passengers side belt buckle is the fault.

REMEMBER: Before working on any SRS system (Airbag) remove the negative terminal side on the battery and wait at least 15 minutes for the capacitor to fully bleed off power.

post-29211-0-01907800-1385657577_thumb.j

Edited by binger

• 1 month later...

I just completed this project and the my dash light has been extinguished. I've attached a few pictures which I hope might help anyone thinking about doing it. Apparently, the "Kit" is a "general use package" and has enough pieces to do 4 terminals and the grounds, and some plastic that did not fit anywhere on my 02-C2-996, but probably fits other models. Actually, the entire plug-body (not shown in picture) was also in the kit, but like many of the other pieces, I did not use it. The terminals in question were easily located referencing the general wiring diagram (color coded Brown & Brown/Blue) and they were actually numbered directly on the black plastic terminal holder, as long as your eye sight is good enough to see them. To my naked eye, nothing appeared to be wrong with any of the terminals, or the wiring. I did discover two (unrelated) wires under my seat which had the insulation torn and needed taping. I have no idea what these wires do, definitely not part of this procedure, but nevertheless simply repaired them with electrical tape. Since I was already in there for a visual, I decided to follow the TSB, replace the terminals, and splice the wires accordingly. I did not need a special tool to release the terminals from there plastic plug-holder. I merely pushed down on the very tiny triangular shaped "pin holder" (visible through a notch in the plug) with a tiny metal needle, gently pulled the terminal out, and slid the new one directly in. I completed the splicing and soldering as instructed. I then replaced the passenger seat belt buckle with a new one, re-leading the seatbelt wires through various clamps under the seat exactly as they were originally fit and replacing the green plug. The seat belt buckle replacement was a very straight-forward, simple job, and I can't help wondering if replacing the buckle was all I really needed to do? Aside from everything being extremely tiny and light-weight, I did not consider this overall job (TSB instructions) to be too difficult. After re-assembly, and having to use my emergency front trunk pull to re-open the hood which I (very foolishly) closed over the thoroughly disconnected battery, I used my Durametric to clear the fault code. I apparently do not fully understand the Durametric procedures because it took me several attempts, and a short drive with the dash light still on, followed by another few retries, till I was finally able to clear the code and extinguish the dash light. For a while, I thought the procedure was a failure, but I'm also wondering if it takes a little extra time after reconnecting the battery for the airbag system to fully arm itself? Thanks to everyone for their help.

post-85898-0-79221900-1389010388_thumb.j

post-85898-0-85473000-1389010413_thumb.j

post-85898-0-43895000-1389010443_thumb.j

post-85898-0-35912200-1389010471_thumb.j

post-85898-0-69549000-1389010483_thumb.j

post-85898-0-60142900-1389010516_thumb.j

post-85898-0-24662200-1389010536_thumb.j

post-85898-0-65468100-1389010551_thumb.j

I had this problem and my mechanic was able to reset the light problem and the light would go out. However, it keep coming back on and he finally replaced the seat belt clip holder on the right side of the drivers seat and no more problem. A look see at the removed part showed nothing unusual. Ed

I suggest you to check wiring from airbag module to the instrument cluster. If it's ok then diagnose instrument cluster as well. A bad circuit or unusual ohm reading can result on a light triggering. If this also fails, consider having your mechanic replacing the airbag module with a used one for testing.

Edited by AvechuchoAxel
  • Like 1