Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuel Pump- final beg for assistance

Hi All,

Ive been searching the forums for a couple of days and I can not find the answer to this driver side fuel pump issue I have.

I ordered a new pump from Sonnen and it does not have the tube that connects both pumps and splits into a Y to connect to the passenger side regulator. The tube does not have a normal "squeeze" release at either pump and there doesn't appear to be any place to connect it to the new pump.

I was told in an email from Sonnen that I have to get a new updated driver regulator and passenger side pump, I will call tomorrow to get more info but it does not seem as though anyone else on this forum has had to do that and the part number they gave me doesn't appear to resolve the tube issue either when I look at the pictures.

Heres a post from Cayenne69 where it doesn't seem as though I should be having this issue.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/36724-fuel-pump-replacement/?p=194716

Have you checked the TSB archives to see if there is any information about needing to replace both pumps?

Nothing in the TSB's but thanks..

Sonnen says Porsche doesn't make the old version pump anymore so if I want to fix the car I have to update the system.. I think Im cornered on this one...

If anyone needs a passenger side pump let me know! lol. Just pay shipping.

Hello,

I didn't had this issue, I purchased the pump from a Porsche dealer. It look like an octopus at first view, but each tube has a different size and quick connector, you cannot make a mistake. But you need to open both side even if you change only the driver side.

I ordered the right pump and updated left filter/ flange this afternoon.. The part number on the old left pump is 7L0-919-087. I will see if I can find one online, otherwise I will call a VW dealer in the morning.

Schematic of updated system attached.

post-58823-0-93446900-1367988779_thumb.j

Edited by Faceman

I just posted this a few days ago "2005 CS cannot idle". Bought warranty so I took it into Porsche. They say its a fuel pump problem. They say they always change both pumps even if only one is bad. Warranty only covers the one bad one, so I have to pay up for a "Porsche" priced one and installation. I ask to only change the bad one then the Service Rep says there will be an additonal charges to figure out which is the bad one ( I've read the "pull fuse 14" post... I think its 14). I don't want to pay for anything if I don't have to (like everyone here I suppose) but looks like I am stuck. I can just tow the suv back home and work on it myself with this forum's help but then I wouldn't be using my warranty. If I use my warranty for fix just one pump, then Porsche will nickel & dime me... probably so much that I might as well pay up for the full two pump Porsche Priced Service.

Quote from the Service Rep: "All people that come in here just wants it fixed and doesn't ask "how much"". Apparently I was asking too many questions and am in the minority.

Can anyone suggest a fuel pressure gage/kit. Thanks.

I just posted this a few days ago "2005 CS cannot idle". Bought warranty so I took it into Porsche. They say its a fuel pump problem. They say they always change both pumps even if only one is bad. Warranty only covers the one bad one, so I have to pay up for a "Porsche" priced one and installation. I ask to only change the bad one then the Service Rep says there will be an additonal charges to figure out which is the bad one ( I've read the "pull fuse 14" post... I think its 14). I don't want to pay for anything if I don't have to (like everyone here I suppose) but looks like I am stuck. I can just tow the suv back home and work on it myself with this forum's help but then I wouldn't be using my warranty. If I use my warranty for fix just one pump, then Porsche will nickel & dime me... probably so much that I might as well pay u p for the full two pump Porsche Priced Service.

Quote from the Service Rep: "All people that come in here just wants it fixed and doesn't ask "how much"". Apparently I was asking too many questions and am in the minority.

I saw your post.. If you only have to buy one pump and the labor is free I say go for it. Hopefully they give you a good price. Sonnen has the pumps for $280. The 2 Porsche dealers close to me want $490 each. I don't have a warranty so Ive got my toolbox out. :)

btw... I did the "pull the fuse" test and it worked for me..

Edited by Faceman

Thanks for your comments Faceman. Since I bought the warranty, I am "forced" to use it. I just wanted to be covered... but then I am at the mercy of a the dealership once they have the vehicle. Buying the warranty and using it feels like I am just using my own money. Money that is just set aside for repairs. Until my repairs cost more than what I paid for the warranty, then I would be satisfied with the warranty purchase. Hoping that my suv will break down so I can use the warranty is not an enviable position to be in... quite strange actually. Having two new fuel pumps will be added reliability going forward... two less things to worry about going forward... but still money out of pocket.

Something I want to briing up and bring to attention of "newby" Cayenne owners. This quote from "JFP of PA":

"These fuel pumps are cooled by the fuel around them, running the car low can lead to overheating and premature pump failures. It also sounds like you have a tank calibration issue."

Recently, I have been filling the tank half full and drive the suv from there and refill to halfway when almost to "E". I think I will fill up now at the 1/4 tank mark. This is not in the "manual". Thanks JFP.

Yes - Harbor Freight has one for a reasonable $30 or so. It has a nice selection of adaptors, including the one needed for our vehicles. I used it to demonstrate to my dealer what the fuel pump problem was that I had that other dealers "couldn't find..".. :) Worth every penny I paid, Porsche ended up replacing everything in the tank.

Just to update this..

After I pulled the left pump out I found a connector deep in the middle that I couldn't reach initially. So both pumps don't have to be changed and everything snaps together in the same order as the original set up and I didn't need to find an older style pump from VW. I cut the non removable hose on the left pump and pulled the hose from the right side to find the connector. For anyone that cant reach the connector in the Y tube make sure you cut the bad pump hose and not the good one :)

The job is pretty easy.

I will hang on to the right pump that I ordered for a few weeks just to make sure that it doesn't go bad on me.

Edited by Faceman

Congratulations Faceman!

Were you able to take some pictures?

Just got the CS back today... Paid Porsche first then go and get reimbursed from the Warranty Company. Hope the later part works properly. Other than the left and right Fuel Pumps, there was charges for left and right venturi tubes @ about $209 each! WTF! Flange with fuel fill = $169, Flange with pressr (something???)=$145. This is the first time I bought an extended warranty for a car and I am not too impressed. Apparently, according to the Porsche dealership, my warranty company is not one of the better ones from their experience. Case in point, my one fuel pump failure. Only one pump failed even though according to Porsche, they have never replace only one pump and always two. The warrany company would only cover one pump. Even with a warranty, I feel ripped off.

From my point of view, great job Faceman. :king:

Thanks Ricky1

No, unfortunately its too dark and the area is too small to get any decent pictures. The schematic I uploaded is very helpful. I also changed my flange/filter but all the tubes you were charged for sounds ridiculous. I wonder if those are the hoses that come with the pump or one of the others in the tank.. theres a nice fat one in there that connects the 2 pumps that seems like it would be pretty pricey.

Even with a limited warranty you are in better shape than some of us without. So many different things have broken on this car.

Its 10 years old but paid off and thats the only thing that can justify why I haven't got rid of it. I tell myself that its cheaper to fix the car twice a year than to have another monthly payment for a more reliable car. So now when the thing breaks it sits in the garage til I want to deal with it and I hop on my bike.

Best!