Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Energized new owner.

Hi as you may have read on another post I have been fixing a 996 and with your help and advice I finally started it last night and now I’m thinking about keeping it. I have never owned a car like this before and I’m not sure what to expect. I know it would save me gas when you compare it to the monster I drive now but could a Porsche be a daily driver I drive maybe 150 miles a week? What problems do you think I will run into driving a 99 car with 70K mile on it? And I’m sorry if this is not the right place to post this, Oh one more thing if I may are there any Porsche clubs or meeting that I can attend to learn a little more about them and talk to other Porsche enthusiast? I live in Weston, FL.

Thanks for your time.

post-90337-0-34557100-1371783351_thumb.j

welcome to the family :thumbup:

Florida is rich with Porsche club owners / chapters. If you haven't explored it yet, go to pca.org and join. Since you now have a Porsche you should be able to log in and decide on membership / Club options. There is a map showing all the states and chapter locations, contact info. You're down Ft Lauderdale area? There are lots of Porsche shops, fanatics running around down there.

but could a Porsche be a daily driver I drive maybe 150 miles a week?

One of my Porsches is 2 years older than yours. Same mileage. And I drive her over 300 miles per week. But only on a sunny weekend day. :)

Thanks, so it should be ok, I'm guessing MPG should also be OK in the mid 20's?

welcome to the family :thumbup:

Florida is rich with Porsche club owners / chapters. If you haven't explored it yet, go to pca.org and join. Since you now have a Porsche you should be able to log in and decide on membership / Club options. There is a map showing all the states and chapter locations, contact info. You're down Ft Lauderdale area? There are lots of Porsche shops, fanatics running around down there.

Thanks I will look into it.

I drove a 2000 Boxster S as a daily driver for 4 years.

95% of the time it was perfect -- had to juggle cars with the wife once a month or so when I needed

more than 2 seats.

Mike

Thanks. I know some things will break and thats fine every car sooner or later will break down. My thing is I don't want to be fixing something ever weekend I will be OK with that.

Holey macaroni!!! With that "lift" system in your photo, you aren't going to be driving much of anything for long. That system is a death-wish on a stick!

I agree that was only the get the engine under the car after I dropped the car down onto jack stands. I wanted to buy this but http://maxjaxusa.com/ it was a little much to spend for this project. if I need to keep working on it I will order it.

I see in your pic you left the rear bumper off. If you remove the rear bumper (which is very easy to do) then you get more clearance... then a standard floor jack and about 19" jack height in the back is all you need to roll the engine out, with the nose of the car on the ground.

I see in your pic you left the rear bumper off. If you remove the rear bumper (which is very easy to do) then you get more clearance... then a standard floor jack and about 19" jack height in the back is all you need to roll the engine out, with the nose of the car on the ground.

I thought about that but I was not sure how to remove it and I did not want to break something else. This is my first time working on a Porsche, a few friends of mine are now asking me if I would work on their 911.