Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

My 996 LED DRL project

After having very good experiences with the custom dynamics "Tru Flex" weather-proof LED strips in 2-3 other vehicles, I decided to attempt them on the 996. I was looking for a place to mount them that was unusual and also a natural look, as well as make the concealed routing of the wires easy. Here is what I came up with.

Wires are routed underneath the headlight, up through the frunk, into the cabin where I tapped the smartphone outlet for switched power with a 5 amp in-line fuse. Everything is tucked away and shrink-wrapped and no wiring can be seen. I have to seal the strips with silicone, but the job is almost done.

IMG_20130704_175402.jpg

IMG_20130704_204009.jpg

IMG_20130704_205735.jpg

IMG_20130704_233355.jpg

IMG_20130704_164541.jpg

IMG_20130704_160920.jpg

IMG_20130704_162750.jpg

IMG_20130704_170015.jpg

IMG_20130704_174859.jpg

Edited by xxaarraa

Nice job. What size LEDs did you get?

I have MK-I lights and a stock bumper and I would probably put the LEDs under the headlights, possibly in the grill. How do they attach?

Edited by wyovino

A good place to pick up switched power under the hood is to tie in to the heated washer outlets up by the battery. They work fine for low current loads like the LED driving lights.

Nice job. What size LEDs did you get?

I have MK-I lights and a stock bumper and I would probably put the LEDs under the headlights, possibly in the grill. How do they attach?

I got the 12 LED strips. The strips come with double sided tape, and I always use clear silicone to seal the edges.

A good place to pick up switched power under the hood is to tie in to the heated washer outlets up by the battery. They work fine for low current loads like the LED driving lights.

Good to know, thanks.

Edited by xxaarraa

Are the heated washer outlets standard or are they only on cars with headlight washers? Do you have a photo?

Kind of off-topic, but can anyone help me with the question below:

My 03 C4S has the projectors (post facelift), but no HIDs. So I got a DDM H7 55W kit (have had good luck with DDM kits in two other cars so far). I took the headlight apart today, but the bulbs seem to be of the wrong variety. Can anyone look at the photos attached and tell me exactly what kind of bulbs I need to get from DDM (bulb on left is stock bulb and bulb on right is the DDM H7).
IMG_20130713_111546.jpg

• 9 months later...

I used the same LEDs from Custom Dynamics as the OP, but mounted them on Aluminum angle bar (3/4 inch) cut to the length of the LED strips. I painted whatever Aluminum was showing black. I mounted them on the inside of the grill using 3M tape, so that they are recessed. I already had switched power in the trunk from a Laser Diffuser. I really like how they look. The LEDs are really bright and match up with OEM lights I see on newer cars. The only thing I might change is I may bend the aluminum a bit to conform more closely with the curve of the bumper. I'm not sure it's worth the effort as it really does look good. I do have some extra aluminum, so I might experiment.

This image from my phone doesn't do it justice. These LEDs are very bright.

post-59958-0-34237500-1398102203_thumb.j